[Poll] "133+" Speak

What is your opinion of "133+" Speak  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of "133+" Speak

• It Hurts My Head
    • It Hurts My Head and I Think It Shows Ignorance
    • I LOVE It |)00|)!!!

Every once in a while "1337" speak can be funny. Like when someone does a parody of "h4x0r's", but I tend to avoid it in day to day talk. I think it makes you look kinda silly and much like a kiddy if you use it all the time.

What I find a little annoying is when people intentionally mispell words trying to convey an accent over the net. Like someone saying "whiff" instead of with. What are you having a whiff of? :p Or then they change letters to sound cute like replacing all s's at the end of words with z's. None of it is shortcuts or 1337 speak, it's just trying to be cute. But I myself would rather type normal.

"I make mah websitez whiff lotsa kewl thingz" :wacko:

I have a few friends (or should I say.. friendz) who talk like that. But I don't get in their face about it cause I know they would get defensive about it.

\/\/0u1D j00 1ik3 1+ 1i= 1 5p3@k 1337? n0, 1+ w0ulD 83 \/3ry @nn0y1n9.

Translated: Would you like it if i speak leet? no, it would be very annoying.

this is one of those nerdy things that can really annoy you. like if a group of 3 nerds come up to you and say "your intelligence is equal to ours, you unsuperiour fool", and laugh together, you feel like beating the crap out of them, not becuase they called you that, becuase they are plain annoying.

i hate it when people Frag you in Counter-Strike and their team says "1 0\/\/N j00".

really annoying and confusing.

and when people say "u" or "2", it is more casual. would you like it if we be very formal from now? if so, i could go around the Forums and ask people to edit their posts because there are grammatical errors everywhere.

Edited by Jason the Eighty Eighth

Yep, Keldyn's right - in small doses at the right places 1337-speak is a great form of hacker humor. Overuse indicates that the writer is a script kiddie or someone else (engaged in illegal activity) who's seriously thinks 1337-speak makes him look all cool and experienced. :x

Then there's of course other things that aren't neccesarily hard to read but is still 'leet-speak', like the often-quoted phrase "u have been owned'. That's a typical cracker-associated phrase (and sometimes jokingly used in real hacker circuits when reffering to people buying software from big companies like Micro$oft: 'Bill Gate$ 0wNs Ur @$$').

So to sum up my experiences: if someone speaks 'leet' too much, they're either just uninformed, or engaged in illegal hacker subcultures. 'Light' use of 'leet' might indicate a real hacker expressing friendly irony. So basically, you have to know the person behind the keyboard to be able to tell those uses apart.

As for the Google 'hacker speak' [sic] page, it's easily found under 'Language Tools'. It seems that the 'funny' language variants don't always work properly when linking directly so if you get an error, just go to google.com and select 'Language Tools'. They have a lot of funny languages there, like the all-time classic 'Bork bork bork' and of course Klingon as well.

• 1 month later...

"leet" speak is rather stupid, IMHO.

However, acronyms/abbreviations (within reason) are fine for day to day use. Here's a couple examples...

Acceptable:

Jim: Hey, what's the addy to google?

Bob: www.google.com

Jim: thx

Bob: yw

Unacceptable (to me):
Bill: k d00d, wtfigo?

Ted: nmhu?

Bill: nawt, I seen Jill today, her skirt torn in the store!

Ted: ROFLMMFAOAHFS

Just a wee bit hard to follow the convo in that second example (poor Jill).

• 3 weeks later...