[Help] How to access files

Beside FTP, what options can I do to access files when I am away from home? How does VPN work? Is linksys router WRVS4400N any goods for remote access using VPN? How does VPN work, anyways?

Sorry for my bad English. I hope you can understand and help me. Thank you in advance.

What exactly do you want to do??? Do you want access to your files only?? Then FTP or sFTP is what your after.. If you need access to your whole network - the VPN is what your looking for.

Are there other ways to access files -- sure there are, could you do it over a vpn - yes. Can you do it over http, yes, can you do it thru a ssh tunnel, yes, can you do it using remote desktop, yes, etc.. etc.. etc...

And why can you not look up VPN in your own language??? I am sure an explanation of what a VPN is in your native language would be more helpful.

does that router support vpn, sure it does.. Did you not read its data sheet??? Is it good for what your wanting to do???? Not sure -- since you have not told us other than hinting at file transfer.. Which has little to do with a vpn connection.

What type of vpn are you wanting to create?? A linksys one? ipsec, ssl, cisco, pptp, ????

Tell us what you would like to be able to do - an we will tell you the best/easy way to do it.

I read someting about VPN on Wikipedia (vhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Private_Network) and thought VPN is a way to go. Except, I can't really figure out how. I had FTP setup before. FTP is too slow and too many attacks. :( I got scare and I took FTP down.

An why do you think a vpn will speed up your file transfer? Its the same bandwidth you had for ftp, if anything the transfer of files will be slower - since now your ging to have encryption overhead. And you will still need a method to transfer the files.. either ftp or what plain ole windows file copy (cifs)? Which do you think will be faster method of file transfer?

Your router supports VPN connections too it -- I would suggest you read its manual how to set it up. I am fairly sure they have one in your native language?

But it is not going to be any faster than FTP.

I kind of believe VPN will be more secure than FTP. That is why I look into VPN. Anyhow, thank you for your respond. I will reset my router and follow linksys manual again.