Recording TV on PS3

Hi, is there anyway, you can record TV programs on a PS3, i.e use it as a PVR machine.

Was thinking of plugging a Digital tuner into the USB port, obviously, it would need some sort of operating system to run on.

Cheers in advance.

Nope, not yet. It might be possible with some messing around on Linux, but even then I'm not so sure because you don't have access to graphics drivers.

Nope, not yet. It might be possible with some messing around on Linux, but even then I'm not so sure because you don't have access to graphics drivers.

If that was the case, it'd be impossible to run any of the GUI Shells for Linux. If Emulators can run on PS3 Linux, I see no reason really why this can't be done. The only problem would be if USB could handle the bandwith. If it could, then just get a USB TV Tuner and use Media Player Classic.

Win.

I don't think you need graphics drivers to record TV.

And you do have the ability to display whatever you want in linux, just not the hardware acceleration part.

Says who? Click Here to see how to run PS3 as a PVR. Yes having nearly 0 access to the GPU in Linux and only access the the PPC core and the SPE's, and only access to 256MB of ram (another 256 connected to the video but barely any access to it yet) but it is still able to do a decent amount of things. But yes currently the performance in Linux is very limited, and is no representation of the strength PS3 has. I really hope we get more access to the hardware in the future, I believe we can already use the SPE's but programs need to be written for them, aka you need a PS3 optimized version of software to see things run well on it now.

It would be interesting to stream TV to the PS3 though... if you can already stream media being transcoded on the fly I don't see why you couldn't send to the PS3 live MPEG-2 streams. Doesn't TVersity have internet feeds or anything? Maybe I can set up VLC to stream TV to the network, add the stream to TVersity and then watch it on the PS3. Maybe!