Can we get an official word on this matter?

I love uTorrent and I use and recommend it daily, but it has its own auto-updater that checks for these beta builds and given the coverage "Software FPN" gets and the limited number of slots, I believe that it serves no real purpose to keep posting these builds. I think FPN should be reserved for milestone betas or final releases.... Especially when 3 of the 5 software news in a row are uTorrent.

Just my 2 cents.

I think that a few beta releases deserve FPN mention, but the attention ?Torrent has gotten there is a bit over the top...

What alpha builds?

A small minority of people actually don't like the frequent updates, regardless of what the poll outcome will be. Many people, including guests and members who don't bother with S&FI, use the front page and appreciate such updates.

I really don't see a need to post every single build. Heck, I received two updates today from within utorrent itself. They come out so quickly, it almost seems insane to try to keep up.

Why the hell not? I appreciate it myself, and technically it's not the front page since it's the software section. The software section doesn't get updated nearly as much as the main page, so I don't see the problem with the frequent ?Torrent updates.

I really don't see a need to post every single build. Heck, I received two updates today from within utorrent itself. They come out so quickly, it almost seems insane to try to keep up.

Of course. Since that triple uTorrent posting happened, we got a memo to have consecutive builds will be merged into one newspost ;) (hence why those two builds are one on the front page)

I think, only one at the start of the Beta and one at the release of the final version would be correct.

I want to see every beta update of software that I'm using, so I come to Neowin to check instead of going to the applications' websites one by one..

If you don't like it, just don't read it

I love uTorrent, but it should just be announced when there is a major version released.

Same here. Yes, I am paranoid about staying updated, but that is what the auto-update is for. I'd rather be reminded of milestone releases than have a considerably cluttered main page. I use it for tech related news, not software releases of random programs.

Same here. Yes, I am paranoid about staying updated, but that is what the auto-update is for. I'd rather be reminded of milestone releases than have a considerably cluttered main page. I use it for tech related news, not software releases of random programs.

I don't see the problem then. We're not talking about uTorrent stuff being on the main page, we're talking about multiple posts in the Software section because that's where it's supposed to go. It's considered front page news because it's on the main site, not because it will be in the main news section.

I think perhaps this thread needs to be a bit clearer on what the question is because I don't think many people are understanding.

Minor updates to uTorrent are NOT front page news. I'd hate to find that we are selling out our front page simply because a few people want it there.

edit: I should add that NO app's minor update should make it to the front page. It (the fp) should be reserved for items that actually warrant fp status.

Edited by Chad

I think there should only be the main "full" builds and any betas/alphas that have major new features not just updates

Minor updates to uTorrent are NOT front page news. I'd hate to find that we are selling out our front page simply because a few people want it there.

+1