Taskbar Shuffle

http://www.freewebs.com/nerdcave/taskbarshuffle.htm

This is an easy review. This program does one thing. You install it. No need to reboot. Now you can drag a taskbar item anywhere you like. In Vista (maybe other OSes as well) it has a ghost of the button that you can see if you drag it up. If you drag it somewhere the taskbar isn't, it just snaps back. There's a little grey line where it will insert. If you didn't want it to insert there, you can always re drag it.

This is one of those "Why on earth didn't MS build this into Windows 95?" programs.

I really can't think of a good reason not to get it.

Nice, I use this and that little app that shows previews akin to Vista. Now all I night is middle click to close an app.

Check the Taskbar Shuffle options ;)

Damn, this is one very useful software! Thank you!

Scirwode

Nice program, but I use a similar free program called Taskix which does exactly the same thing, but doesn't need to run an installer, is only 70k to download (as opposed to 600k) and it also doesnt run anything in the system tray.

Taskix uses 1.3Mb of Ram, but this Taskbar Shuffler used over 5Mb.

It also works perfectly in Vista, and doesnt mess up Aero.

I know which I'd rather go for.

But they both do the same thing, so take your pick.

http://taskix.robustit.com/

And hey I don't work for the company or anything. :)

• 3 weeks later...
...Taskix uses 1.3Mb of Ram, but this Taskbar Shuffler used over 5Mb.

But they both do the same thing, so take your pick...

I bet Taskix can't re-arrange the System Tray too! Taskbar Shuffle has been a staple for me ever since it was released and the latest version is still portable too.

Been using this little app for a while, didn't even know there was an update for it. Absolutely love it, one of the best utilities I've ever installed. It's simple, small and does exactly what it promises. And yeah, this kind of functionality SHOULD be built into windows.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the best app I've discovered and installed on my PC since Crap Cleaner so thanks to the guy who posted a version update for it in the BPN section some time ago.

Nice program, but I use a similar free program called Taskix which does exactly the same thing, but doesn't need to run an installer, is only 70k to download (as opposed to 600k) and it also doesnt run anything in the system tray.

Taskix uses 1.3Mb of Ram, but this Taskbar Shuffler used over 5Mb.

While the makers of Taskix have done an excellent job as well, it is missing the middle click close functionality I'm now so accustomed to and fond of. Plus Taskbar Shuffle looks a bit better on the graphical side - dragging a button creates a nice looking 'ghost' of it etc. I don't need to rearrange items in the tray so that ain't an issue.