So You Want To Write For Neowin

The old "Do You Want To Write For Neowin" post was outdated and rather than cleaning out all of the "me, me, I do's" and old information I decided just to create a new thread. So, on to the matter at hand.

Do you have a penchant for journalistic endeavours? Do you spend hours scouring the internet reading the latest news and keeping up to date with your favourite technological interests? Perhaps you have even considered journalism as a possible career path or have already begun your journey down that path. Or maybe you've been visiting Neowin and thought "I really love this site, I just wish there was something I could do to be a bigger part of it." Well, maybe you can.

Neowin is always on the lookout for talented people to fill Newsposter positions. However, there are a few things that you really need to sit back and consider before you say "oooh oooh oooh, pick me, pick me." First and foremost, you must be serious about your commitment and your dedication to the time required to perform the duties of a Newsposter. Saying you want to be a Newsposter and actually posting news consistently are two different things. It's easy to find people who think that they have the time required to do the job and who think that they're committed and up to the task. Finding people who follow through day after day, month after month without fail is the challenge. As a Newsposter you will be expected to maintain a certain level of posting activity. I urge you to think about how serious you are about wanting to be a Newsposter and whether or not you're willing to sacrifice the time and put forth the effort and dedication that it takes to do so, day after day, week after week and so on. This isn't a daycare, and I won't constantly remind you to do your job. I'm not hard to get along with, ask any of the current News team, but I expect you to do what you agree to do when you're brought on. Yes, it's a volunteer position, but it's a position of honour and prestige, not to mention that it's something very positive to add to your resume.

Secondly, you need to be somewhat proficient in the English language with acceptable grammar skills. That doesn't mean you need to be a third year English major that nitpicks over ever word or phrase, but u shudnt tipe lik a 3rd graydur or a 14 yr 0ld a0l'3r e17h3r. Spell checkers are your friend. Your age doesn't matter, so long as you're able to act responsibly and maturely and present such in your writing. We will provide you with guidance on the formatting and style to be used for our News posts as well as directions on where to look for sources. Some copy & paste is to be expected, especially for new Newsposters. However, candidates should focus on improving their own writing skills by putting their own spin on their posts.

That said, if being a bigger part of Neowin is something you'd like to do, contributing directly to the content that feeds the site is an excellent way of doing so. Interested candidates should e-mail writeforme@neowin.net. Be sure to include your name, your forum name, and any previous writing experience that you may have. Also please include a short example of your writing ability by taking a current technology news topic and rewriting it in your own words.

Shane Pitman

Neowin.net Chief News Editor

Having a staff job at Neowin sounds awesomely glamorous, but I'm sure it takes much more time and dedication than people realise. You guys are awesome :D

It certainly is a position of honour and prestige. I would write for Neowin, but time is not my friend (for now).

I enjoy submitting news when I can, but applying to be a news poster is not something I think about (or for now at least), good luck for everyone.

lol :shiftyninja: i used MS spell check and everything! :p

He has a scenario for everything :D...but good luck everyone :)

Something I would be interested in, but sadly, at least now, I don't have enough time to put in the effort. Maybe another time.

Even though I hated english last year (GCSE), something like this I would love to do, as I'd be writing about something I'm interested in (my best GCSE english piece was a review on FIFA 06 lol.)

I think I'll apply. I've been thinking that it would be a good thing to do, and it seems to me that some of the posts that make it to the front page are not very well off grammatically and such.

it seems to me that some of the posts that make it to the front page are not very well off grammatically and such.

If you don't point them out, we can't fix them, now can we?

sent a application :)

:p remember mate, always "an" before a vowel - an apple, an eye, but it's a tree as t is a consonant.

Edited by tony-inpo

Remember the previous thread on this topic with loads of posts? Now look at this one :laugh:

Because you now know how much commitment we require on Neowin for it to be a well-oiled machine :yes:, I think I can safely say that majority of the guys who applied in the older thread did it just for bragging rights (obviously not bashing the guys who wanted a genuine position).

Shane keeping it real, as always (Y)

Radish?

This is the first thing i thought of,

because everyone thinks they can write,

and this is the outcome of what they actually do:

post-59028-1181328922.jpg

Well, I just sent in an application, and I hope I can make the cut. I've gotten a lot of good advice here, so I figure I want to put something back (haha, that sounded incredibly corny, but it's true).

• 1 month later...
It certainly is a position of honour and prestige. I would write for Neowin, but time is not my friend (for now).

Time is now my newfound friend. I just sent the e-mail a few minutes ago and I hope I make it. It's been a treat reading the contributions of former and current news posters. This opportunity can give me the chance to give back to Neowin, and I plan on taking full advantage of it.

Well, I just sent in an application, and I hope I can make the cut. I've gotten a lot of good advice here, so I figure I want to put something back (haha, that sounded incredibly corny, but it's true).

Guess your wish came true eh? ;)

Radish?

Guess your wish came true eh?

Heh, I guess it did. :D To anyone hopefuls, I think the best lesson I learned from the application process is to never give up hope, because, one day, you might just unexpectedly get a PM from Shane. :p

Heh, I guess it did. :D To anyone hopefuls, I think the best lesson I learned from the application process is to never give up hope, because, one day, you might just unexpectedly get a PM from Shane. :p

Congrats I didn't think anyone was employed from this thread :laugh:

Look forward to reading your news (Y)

• 4 weeks later...