How is the Wii on a big screen HDTV?

Sorry to ask a question that must have been asked before. I just did not found anything about it.

I have a Sony 50" SXRD 1080p projection TV. Since the Wii only support a max of 480p using component cable, I was wondering if the image quality will be good or very bad (big pixels, fuzzy, ....) ??

Anyone here with a big screen HDTV and a Wii? Does it support wide screen?

Thanks!

ive got my brothers wii set up on a 42" panasonic plasma screen though the red,yellow, white connection on the front, and it looks good. i mean it doesnt look like the 360 does of course, but its playable and wii golf etc looks good :)

I've got a 46" Sony LCD and the picture is fine to me.

It's not really crisp like I suspect a xbox 360 would be but it doesn't look to bad either.

It does support widescreen.

I've got it on my ~80" projector. It looks good. You can tell the difference between 480p and 480i, though. (The projector is only SVGA anyway, so the wii at 480p is about as good as it gets) So obviously it's not an HDTV, but it does look good when it's really really big.

Edited by MioTheGreat

It's not really crisp like I suspect a xbox 360 would be but it doesn't look to bad either.

Yeah, that's exactly what scares me. I own the Xbox360, I'm used to crisp looking graphics. When I select 480p on it, the image gets fuzzy a bit, pixels seems to be bigger.

I wonder if it's going to be a turn off... After looking at the gfx of the 360, going to the Wii will be hard? The gameplay make up for it?

Yeah, that's exactly what scares me. I own the Xbox360, I'm used to crisp looking graphics. When I select 480p on it, the image gets fuzzy a bit, pixels seems to be bigger.

I wonder if it's going to be a turn off... After looking at the gfx of the 360, going to the Wii will be hard? The gameplay make up for it?

I own both an xbox360 and a wii connected to a 40" Samsung LCD and I don't really notice much of a difference... only because the games available for wii aren't as graphically intense as 360 games. The games on wii are really fun and after a while you don't really notice the lower quality graphics. If you enjoy playing games over looking at games you'll love the Wii.

While clearly not HD, Wii at 480p looks very bright and clear, certainly watchable.

You'll be having too much fun with Wii Sports to concern yourself with "pixel size".

ive got mine hooked up to to 65" 1080i hdtv through components. For the Wii your not going to get crisp graphics like the 360 no doubt. But you can tell that it does look nice. Like on Excite Truck. I was surprised how good they looked comming from the Wii. Again it ain't no 360 but its still good. And also it's a Nintendo game so any of the games that don't need alot of graphics like Wario Smooth Moves for example looks extremely good and sharp. But those games are also really really low in details. But if you play like COD3 or Splinter Cell then you can tell the big difference in the graphics but its still playable. Also i dont think anyone though is getting a Wii for the graphics so i assume your just asking just for the knowledge.

But hey it's a Wii and if you've played a Wii you know that when you're playing, you're not paying attention to the graphics because you're caught up in the gameplay. Hope this helps...

i have mine hooked up to a 50in HD 1080P tele and it looks great there are not discolorations or any stretch issues i have played zelda, sports, and super paper mario on it, i have also played resident evil 4 for the GC with it on the Wii and it all looks great.

horrible, just like the wii looks on every other thing that is HD.

The wii isn't meant to be high powered, or good looking.. its meant to be innovatiive - as people buy into that type of thing.

horrible, just like the wii looks on every other thing that is HD.

The wii isn't meant to be high powered, or good looking.. its meant to be innovatiive - as people buy into that type of thing.

You're the only one with a bad comment... My next logical question would be, have you really tried it?

Well the graphics aren't amazing on a huge TV as its only 480p and as you get bigger things will look more pixelally but my friends rented out IMAX for a few hours to play Wii and they said it was ridiculously fun.

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can rent an IMAX??? please if anyone knows of any IMAX in or around the Los Angeles area that I can rent out please let me know. I would be in heaven if I could hook my 360 up to it.

looks fine. i dont really understand why its such a HUGE issue now. back in the days before 720p+ gaming noone even asked those kinds of questions.

looks fine. i dont really understand why its such a HUGE issue now. back in the days before 720p+ gaming noone even asked those kinds of questions.

Things changes.... When all we had was the GameCube, Xbox and PS2, everything looked much the same (with some being better than others). But now, with the XBox360 and PS3 that can do 720p, 1080i/p, it's a huge difference. Looking at 480p gfx is low-grade. And since the bigger the screen the more obvious the details, I was wondering how a 480p image would look on a 1080p screen. Bigger pixels brings fuzzier image.

i know samsungs game mode seem to do what the ps3 does when upscaling ps2 titles. it kinda blurs the 480p lines. i prefer the sharper lines myself.

but it isnt too bad on my 40" tv.

I have mine on a 40" Bravia (LCD, 1080p) and it is noticeable that its using 480p but usually when I am playing a game I am having a lot of fun and dont notice anyway. I did buy the overpriced component cables to make sure it would look as good as it possibly can.

I've played a lot of Wii on a friend's 72" Sony... something. Some huge ass TV. It looked pretty good for the most part. We played mostly Monkey Ball and Wii Sports mostly and both games looked fine.

yup shows you how times have changed! Sooooo many options and variables now

I have an 1080i tv (widescreen) but have the wii hooked up via progressive scan / component cables.

Things look sharp/clear/colorful, Wii and (majority of GC games) support wide screen so no "distortion".

Same here with Virtual games (SNES, N64), no distortion, graphics look like the original graphics not original graphics + artifacts.

Edited by jstillion

I have a 37 inch 1080i Toshiba LCD and the wii looks like crap... jaggies everywhere... and I thought that the wii might have a hardware gfx problem because i saw dots of all kinds of colors.. but no.. its the way the games look on the tv.. because I only get the dots in like cutscenes and areas with a lot of different thigns going on .. but most of the time theres none..

like.. I dont get the dots in SPM, but in Godfather i do.. but only during the cutscenes

I have an Xbox 360 and a Wii hooked up to a Hitachi 57" HDTV and they both look great. Does the Wii look as good as the 360? No. But it's like you get into a different mode when you play the Wii. The fun of the games more than makes up for it.

is there any advantage of getting the component wii cable- i've read reports that it makes a worlds difference compared to the standard phono leads... ?