Mixing a live band

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with mixing a live band. Basically i have been asked (for this Friday) to run the live desk for his bands gig. I have got his mixing desk sitting in my room, it is a Behringer SL3232 FX, and i need some hints / tips for what i should listen for and change during the gig.

My first experience with his equipment was last week, where i rigged up the desk, PA, Guitars (lead / rhythm) and the Vocals. I didnt attempt the drum mic's as they seemed a little scary. I then had to leave so didnt get a chance to learn how how to use the desk.

The rhythm guitarist is actually a sound engineer, but cant do both at the same time so is trying to get me to do it but i have no clue.

Most of our kit is industry standard, give or take a few items, and the occasional Oops we dont have that lead what can we do. But then hey its expensive to get everything done properly.

So any tips or pointers for my new venture or are we saying im well and truly up said creek without a paddle.

• 2 weeks later...

All you have to do is worry about the volume. Don't try anything special if you cant do it, just make sure all the instruments and vocals are at the right level and that it all sounds right. Other than that maybe just ask the sound engineer for any tips before you start.

If the rhythem guitarist is a sound engineer he will set all the levels on outboard before the event (compressors, eq, ringing out the room etc), so there really is very little you need to do during the event. Just unmute any channels marked (the engineer will run some tape along the bottom of the desk with channel names on).

If there is any feedback on a channel, I wouldn't start playing with the EQ, but listen closely to try to identify the channel, and slowly bring the volume down until the feedback goes. If you play with the EQ, you'll likely make it worse.

Hope this helps.

Edit - Didn't see the date on the post. Was just the top of the list :$