Anyone have Redhat 8.0 screenshots?

sinatosk

OK i feel like i wanna try redhat but i see 5 cd images :blink: so i was wondering how many cd's does red hat alone need? like mandrake has 3 cd's but only 2 is needed for installtion

Prasanth
OK i feel like i wanna try redhat but i see 5 cd images :blink: so i was wondering how many cd's does red hat alone need? like mandrake has 3 cd's but only 2 is needed for installtion

First 3 CDs :)

mezz
There is something who bother me its that jaggy font in Mozilla ...I installed Mozilla 1.2.1 with xft enable but the font still ugly !

Get Windows fonts and put those in the ~/.fonts

I have smooth font for desktop icons but the text in gaim is jaggy (your is neat) !

I am using gaim 0.60.0 CVS version. You can download it -> http://gaim.sourceforge.net/gaim-CVS.tar.gz .. Don't worry, this CVS version is very stable right now, so it's safe for you to use it. I upgrade my gaim today. Just do the same thing what you did to LighthouseBlue to compile it. Read the INSTALL/README.

How do you have all your windows with smooth font? where can I DL or how to enable it?

Which Windows? All of those came with Gnome 2.1.5, which it's gEdit2 & gnome terminal. They already have the smooth fonts, cuz gtk2 uses Xft2 & Fontconfig. They all are already with the RedHat 8, aren't they?

edit: Where can I get that wonderful theme for gaim?

gaim has theme? I don't think, it has the theme option. LighthouseBlue is good enough for me to take over every apps to look same.

Package  Version  Date  Notes / Monitor  Download  

lighthouseblue 0.6.2  December 1, 2002  -   Download

lighthouseblue gtk1 0.6.2  December 1, 2002  -   Download

lighthouseblue gtk2 0.6.1  November 28, 2002  -   Download

lighthouseblue metacity 0.6  December 3, 2002  -   Download

Which one do you download?

See the bold, it should work fine for you.

sinatosk

First 3 CDs :)

thx's :)

Janeiro

thanks mezz I have sucess with gaim cvs ...it's nice ;)!

Still have probleme with mozzila jaggy fonts !

I don't know why rpm --rebuild mozilla_1.2.1_redhat8_xft.src.rpm don't want to work on my PC (unknow argument: --rebuild).

Does someone know where to dl an already rebuild mozilla xft enable rpm?

thanks

Edited by Janeiro
Tokhra
thanks mezz I have sucess with gaim cvs ...it's nice ;)!

Still have probleme with mozzila jaggy fonts !

I don't know why rpm --rebuild mozilla_1.2.1_redhat8_xft.src.rpm don't want to work on my PC (unknow argument: --rebuild).

Does someone know where to dl an already rebuild mozilla xft enable rpm?

thanks

Try this:

rpmbuild --rebuild mozilla_1.2.1_redhat8_xft.src.rpm

ive tried downloading the full source though and i just get errors when compiling (takes FOREVER to comple too), whenever i try to install the Xft RPM's though it keeps complaining about dependencies that are needed but as far as i know they are already installed or the dependant RPM's are in the same dir, and when i try to install them, they are dependant on something else :s Doin my head in this :(

I recently formatted to put RH8 on again clean but now my desktop is really laggy at drawing images and when moving windows etc. Ive installed the nVidia drivers for my GFX card but it still does it, never used to before i formatted.

Janeiro
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/release.../xft/RPMS/i386/

I found the 1.2.1 xft rpms. As for the dependency problems you need to uninstall all the packages as mozilla-nspr, psm etc thats bundled with RH and install the xft enabled ones :)

Could you please give the details about the process because as a newbie I don't understand what to do ...I got only error even when compiling ...i don't understand what's the error mean so I'm unable to fix them.

I try to got it with the 'src.tar.gz' and try to recompile it ...the make process take time over time on a P4 2.53Ghz@3Ghz to finally get an error :no: :cry:

Or someone can lead me to good browser (with tab browsing) with antialiased font already setup ?

Edited by Janeiro
Prasanth

OK try this:

Uninstall:

mozilla

mozilla-devel

mozilla-nspr

mozilla-psm

mozilla-chat

mozilla-mail

mozilla-dom-inspector

and other mozilla packages bundled with redhat

Download the these two files

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/release...h8_xft.i386.rpm

now first install the mozilla-nspr and then install mozilla and if you wish install other packages like mail, debugger, psm etc.

Compiling mozilla will take a lot of time, Just follow the above steps and you will be fine :)

Janeiro
OK try this:

Uninstall:

mozilla

mozilla-devel

mozilla-nspr

mozilla-psm

mozilla-chat

mozilla-mail

mozilla-dom-inspector

and other mozilla packages bundled with redhat

Download the these two files

now first install the mozilla-nspr and then install mozilla and if you wish install other packages like mail, debugger, psm etc.

Compiling mozilla will take a lot of time, Just follow the above steps and you will be fine :)

How do I uninstall those packages?

I tried rpm -e but the system ask me details that I don't know.

I removed all mozilla packages from graphical Radhat8 package manager then tried to install package from the link you gave to me =>>>> FAILED !!! (always missing something ...even I see I get it).

I even try rpm -Uvh -F package.rpm >>>NO SUCCESS !!

Finally I downlaod all the stuff (rpm) but as usual I got that f******g error message when I tried to install them ...

I'm really deaspointed that I couldn't install a simple software ...I just want anti-aliased font :cry:

rpmrebuild --rebuild ...

rpm --rebuild ...both doesn't work !

Prasanth

:) OK just copy and paste the error message here that you got when installing the rpm.

Janeiro

thank you but ...i just reinstall the system and give up ...I screwed up my system :( !!

I mean by that I was even unable to unstall all the mozilla packages ...

Something I dont understand is I can install mozilla 1.2.1 and 1.3a without getting in trouble ...except those one with Xft enable!

Why is there aren't any easy-to-use installer as I can find for the normal version (without xft enable)?

Why those 'Xft enable' RPM bother me those dependencies needed?

Why ?

Anyway thanks for your help but I'll try if everything is simple (tired to resinstall) ...So if not just forget about it :D

BxBoy

Just use RH's built-in up2date, that updated my system (including mozilla) to latest versions without a problem..

Prasanth

No I don't think the system is screwed up

If you used kpackage to uninstall then there is a option. Just uncheck "check dependency". Now you will be able to uninstall the packages.

If you have uninstalled all the moz packages then the xft installation will be fine

Also paste the error msg here :rolleyes:

Janeiro
Just use RH's built-in up2date, that updated my system (including mozilla) to latest versions without a problem..

I did ...all I got it's an update from 1.0.1-24 to 1.0.1-26 ...no 1.2.1 or better with xft enable !!!

No I don't think the system is screwed up

If you used kpackage to uninstall then there is a option. Just uncheck "check dependency". Now you will be able to uninstall the packages.

If you have uninstalled all the moz packages then the xft installation will be fine

Thank you to be patient with me so I'll try to explane exactly what I did.

1-I download all the rpms I found (includes the 2 asked me to DL) http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/release.../xft/RPMS/i386/

2-I uninstall all mozilla package from redhat package management (I had just to uncheck all mozilla components)

3-check if mozilla is really unstall (try to run mozilla)

4-I tried to install mozilla-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm >>>ERROR: need mozilla-nspr-devel-1.2.1-0

5-I tried to install mozilla-nspr-devel-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm >>>ERROR: need mozilla-nspr-1.2.1-0

6-I tried to install mozilla-nspr-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm >>>ERROR: need mozilla-nss-1.0.1-24

7-so and so ....until I get upset about it !

Just one question : if I download mozilla-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.src.rpm

What I need to do (step by step if I'm not bothering you) to compile and make my own rpm that will install without any problems?

As I said above rpm --rebuild didn't work but I notice I didn't install rpm-build software ...so now I install it.

Thank youPrasanth and everybody for your help.

PS: I hope my english is enough (I'm french) in case it isn't excuse me for this ;)

Edited by Janeiro
Janeiro

edit: sorry for double post but the forum don't want I remove it (access denied)

BxBoy>Just use RH's built-in up2date, that updated my system (including mozilla) to latest versions without a problem..

I did ...all I got it's an update from 1.0.1-24 to 1.0.1-26 ...no 1.2.1 or better with xft enable !!!

Prasant>]No I don't think the system is screwed up

Thank you to be patient with me so I'll try to explane exactly what I did.

1-I download all the rpms I found (includes the 2 asked me to DL) http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/release.../xft/RPMS/i386/

2-I uninstall all mozilla package from redhat package management (I had just to uncheck all mozilla components)

3-check if mozilla is really unstall (try to run mozilla)

4-I tried to install mozilla-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm >>>ERROR: need mozilla-nspr-devel-1.2.1-0

5-I tried to install mozilla-nspr-devel-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm >>>ERROR: need mozilla-nspr-1.2.1-0

6-I tried to install mozilla-nspr-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm >>>ERROR: need mozilla-nss-1.0.1-24

7-so and so ....until I get upset about it !

Just one question : if I download mozilla-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.src.rpm

What I need to do (step by step if I'm not bothering you) to compile and make my own rpm that will install without any problems?

As I said above rpm --rebuild didn't work but I notice I didn't install rpm-build software ...so now I install it.

Thank youPrasanth and everybody for your help.

PS: I hope my english is enough (I'm french) in case it isn't excuse me for this ;)

mezz

# rpm --rebuild mozilla-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.src.rpm

# cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/

# rpm -ivh mozilla*

>> 7-so and so ....until I get upset about it !

Well, did you try install mozilla-nss-1.0.1-24 (in the step 6)? You need to be patience, download and install them what they need. If you don't have any of patience, then Linux is not for you, peroid.

Janeiro

Hello,

it's not like that I"m not patient!

I just follow any advice and it's just doesn"t work :( !

Just take a look of this screenshot !!!

As you can see even man rpm says I can use --rebuild (left shell on the screenshot) you can see on the right shell on the screenshot I have an error '--rebuild: unknow option'

So what should I do? You have to recognize this situation can be desapointed for a newbie.

I waiting for any clues ...if someone take a time to.

Janeiro

Prasanth

ok what error did you get when installing mozilla-nss?

mezz
Just take a look of this screenshot !!!

As you can see even man rpm says I can use --rebuild (left shell on the screenshot) you can see on the right shell on the screenshot I have an error '--rebuild: unknow option'

So what should I do? You have to recognize this situation can be desapointed for a newbie.

I waiting for any clues ...if someone take a time to.

Janeiro

I thought, you said you aleady installed rpmbuild? no? Right now, it's 2:30am and alcohol is in my bode.. So... Tomorow, I will try to chek on my brother's laptp to check what's rpm that I installed. Then, I can find it from redhat.om, that's where I got it from in some while ago.

mezz

Gee, my spell sucks last night..

Anyway, I am in the RedHat 8 on my bro's laptop right now. You just go to https://rhn.redhat.com/network/ and search for rpm in the search box, which you should see in the top. Of course, you will need to login first. No worry, it's free to register. However, after search and you should see the list of rpms. Download two things in the list should have "rpm-build" and "rpm-devel", so install them by either command line or right click menu. After all, you should be able to use rpm --rebuild in the command.

Tokhra

Its actually rpmbuild --rebuild

rpm --rebuild isnt used anymore, they took it out.

:) ;)

I managed to get Mozilla 1.2.1 on by forcing it to install everything but all the fonts for the windows etc look messed up, they look like they are the Linux form of Times New Roman or something :s

mezz

Oh, that's right!! I always keep forget it was rpmbuild --rebuild instead rpm --rebuild these day.. Please shoot me!

morganpugh84

bah redhat is too much work with all this rpm crap

apt-get is the way things should be, debian ownz