[Recommend] Bridge Camera or Entry Level SLR

I would like to get into photography but I currently only have a point-and-click canon ixus for holiday and party snaps. I would like to purchase a camera with some more professional features and I am looking at a wide budget range from say UK?200 to UK?400. Preferably near to ?300.

I am open to all styles, bridge cameras and digital slrs are both welcome recommendations. I just want something that is going to be easy to learn with and takes pretty nice photos. My current thoughts are something from the Lumix FZ range, or maybe a canon eos, not really sure because I am new to this.

Any recommendations?

Dinos

Canon S3 IS.. can easily be found for $300 US or less now. It's a large step up for regular point and shoot, but not quite an slr.

* 12x optical zoom lens with USM and UD lens element

* Optical Image Stabilizer

* 6.0 Megapixel CCD

* Larger size 2.0? Vari-angle LCD

* 30fps VGA movies with stereo sound and Photo in Movie feature

* DIGIC II, iSAPS and Flexizone AF/AE for fast, precise results and 2.3 fps continuous shooting performance

* 20 shooting modes and My Colors photo effects

* High ISO Auto and ISO 800 for low light flexibility

* Widescreen (16:9) recording

as well as an easily available and usable sd memory card hack that allows the camera to feature RAW support and much more.

I have this camera and use the hack.. and for me it's been the greatest thing since sliced bread.

you can't go wrong with Canon, panasonic and Fujifilm.

On a side note, Fujifilm uses their own memory format.

they used to... newer models are using xd OR sd, which is something they should have done a long time ago IMO.

i haven't used it myself.. but from what i've heard, panasonic is bad at ISO noise as well as their "optical image stabilization", which apparently only works successfully sometimes.

not being a nikon fanboy or anything but the D50 was rated the best entry SLR camera, but seeing as that is now discontinued an now replaced with the D40 and the new D40x i think those would be your best options, and usually a lot cheaper than cannon cameras and the lens prices for cannons

cool, the d40 looks good. its 6megapixel. i hear that you don't need much more if u r not going to print like a3?

my kodak easyshare z612 does a pretty damn good job for not being an dslr camera. take a look in the photo gallery to see some recent pictures that i took and edited in about 5 minutes in lightroom.

I'd get the S3 IS or a similar model because it has stabilization and a good number of manual controls at a reasonable price.

If you prefer an SLR (which I would), I'd get the D40 or the D40x. Their kit lenses are apparently very high-quality, so you wouldn't need to throw money into the whole system of lenses, etc.

they used to... newer models are using xd OR sd, which is something they should have done a long time ago IMO.
Good to know. ?They finally found out they lost too much share market because of this crapy xd format!

Good move from them then