name your favorite xp item that is now missing in vista

I miss the old XP address bar which used to appear on clicking the pull down menu

Yes.

i miss decent file copy/move speeds :angry:

This too. Takes way too long to delete files as well.

Start > winver > Enter :D

For me, I miss nothing... mm or may be ALT+CTRL+DEL to open Task Manager directly.

Try CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.

I guess what you are asking is still available in status bar in Vista. Remember that status bar is off by default and the preview bar in vista explorer is not the same as status bar. You can still see the old status bar by checking View->Status Bar from the menu.

aaaaaah-haaaaaa!!! Brilliant! I never noticed you could have the status bar AS WELL AS the details bar! It's been aggravating me since day 1 of installing Vista that the details bar doesnt show the total size of the folder/files.

Cheers Sir iShakeel! :)

i was just getting use to the XP Start Menu, and then they removed it

i was just starting to get use to the Toolbars in windows, and they remove them

they removed the file association manager. you have to open the Registry Editor now to remove associations.

you have to open the Registry Editor now to remove associations.

:no:

To remove an association you can use the ASSOC command:

at command prompt type: ASSOC .ext <--- it removes the association for .ext :D

Edited by franzon

I don't think I've ever missed anything yet.

:no:

To remove an association you can use the ASSOC command:

at command prompt type: ASSOC .ext <--- it removes the association for .ext :D

does that remove the association totally? does it remove the extension completely from the registry?

that is not what i want to do.

lets take a SYS file for example.

default program: nothing

lets say you want to edit it like a Text file (like msdos.sys).

if you go to Open With -> Notepad, but forget to uncheck "Always use the selected program..."

SYS files are now all associated with Notepad.

now, how do you remove that Notepad association without using the registry?

in 98/Me/2k/XP, there was something to let you UN-associate files. in XP you could tell it not to use Notepad with SYS files.

in Vista, there is nothing to tell it NOT to use Notepad, only to use something *else* with SYS files.

edit:

in Vista, as far as i know, you either have to download a 3rd party File Association manager, or open up Registry Editor and go to :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

and delete the association information there.

Edited by Xenomorph

Being able to set file associations through folder settings in explorer and changing the associated file icon the same way.

At the moment I have to use a 3rd party app (Creative element) to do something that was part of the OS before.

Apart from those two gripes Vista rules, I wouldn't go back to XP now. I've never had a single crash or problem with Vista

This has been moved to Control Panel -> Default Programs -> "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". You can also find "Default Programs" on the Start menu or right click a file that you want to set with a program -> Open with -> Choose a Default Program.

This has been moved to Control Panel -> Default Programs -> "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". You can also find "Default Programs" on the Start menu or right click a file that you want to set with a program -> Open with -> Choose a Default Program.

no, it hasnt been moved.

the file type association that was in 9x/2k/XP has been removed

there is no way through the GUI to *remove* programs that are associated with file extensions, or remove the file extension completly

you need to download and use a 3rd party program or use the Registry Editor to remove associations.

look at what i wrote a few posts up.

Control Panel -> Default Programs -> "Associate a file type or protocol with a program".

doesn't let you UN-associate Notepad from something for example.

I really miss the ability to customize the toolbar. I used to have the delete icon on it, even though its simple enough to press the <delete> key, sometimes (especially for the disabled) its just easier to click a toolbar icon.

I really miss the ability to customize the toolbar. I used to have the delete icon on it, even though its simple enough to press the <delete> key, sometimes (especially for the disabled) its just easier to click a toolbar icon.

yeah, a lot of stuff in Vista makes NO sense

Microsoft changed a lot just for the sake of changing things.

many things arent simply "off by default", they are simple REMOVED.

i'm not too sure, but Windows 3.x to 4.x added lots of stuff

Windows 4.x to 5.x added lots of stuff

Windows 5.x to 6.x changed and removed stuff, in addition to new things.

:blink: Thumbnail view is avaible in Vista and it's better than XP

I can't find it at all... I can get MP3s to display artwork like the thumbnail view for folders in XP but I can't find how to select a square on thumbnail view for folders - all I can get is the artwork appearing out of the folder at an angle, which isn't very helpful. Where exactly is the option? I know exactly how to find it in XP but can't figure out where it is in Vista. I've tried customising folder (there is no longer the music preset like XP) and I've tried the drop down menu with the slider for views but none of them do it. I might just be overlooking it but I'm not a computer novice. I've been trying to find it for ages.

does that remove the association totally? does it remove the extension completely from the registry?

yes, it does. :yes: (in previous post I forgot the "=" character)

assoc .ext= <--- it removes the assoc for .ext

if you go to Open With -> Notepad, but forget to uncheck "Always use the selected program..."

SYS files are now all associated with Notepad.

now, how do you remove that Notepad association without using the registry?

use the assoc command:

assoc .sys= <---- it removes the assoc for .sys :D

Edited by franzon

The one thing I miss is the easy ability to put my system into hibernate with just keyboard commands.

It used to be as simple as winkey+u+h.

Boom, hibernate is underway.

I really miss that *sighs*