name your favorite xp item that is now missing in vista

Well the defrag is there and is improved infact. Only problem is that it runs on all the disks, no option to choose a single partition. Other than that it doesn't let you stare at screen while blocks are dancing around, well that is in fact better because you don't waste hours doing nothing :)

If you right-click on a drive --> properties --> tools tab --> defrag, then it will only defrag that drive; not all.

How hard is that?

yes, it does. :yes: (in previous post I forgot the "=" character)

assoc .ext= <--- it removes the assoc for .ext

use the assoc command:

assoc .sys= <---- it removes the assoc for .sys :D

It says here assoc not found. Using Vista Ultimate

Telnet, :(

Or Hyperterminal, guess you'll have to use PuTTy now. I think MS has an improved CMD program, but I forget what it's called at the moment.

The ability to customize and drag around the toolbars in Explorer and IE. I hate the lack of keyboard shortcuts on the Start menu too. OK, so that's 2. :p

I'd remove the backup utility. Its useless!

yes, it does. :yes: (in previous post I forgot the "=" character)

assoc .ext= <--- it removes the assoc for .ext

use the assoc command:

assoc .sys= <---- it removes the assoc for .sys :D

did you even try what you just posted??

on my system:

Associate SYS with Notepad

type "assoc .sys="

double clicking a SYS still opens Notepad!

end result: you still have to open the Registry editor to remove the Notepad association!!

is there some other magic required for the assoc command? a reboot? well, thats stupid when changing the registry doesnt require a reboot. running extra commands perhaps?

the idea that Microsoft removed the ability to easily remove associations still stands.

no, it hasnt been moved.

the file type association that was in 9x/2k/XP has been removed

there is no way through the GUI to *remove* programs that are associated with file extensions, or remove the file extension completly

you need to download and use a 3rd party program or use the Registry Editor to remove associations.

look at what i wrote a few posts up.

Control Panel -> Default Programs -> "Associate a file type or protocol with a program".

doesn't let you UN-associate Notepad from something for example.

So.... why would you want to remove the file association you have with .sys files? do you ever open them manually with anything else? The association only has to do with how the file is run when you double click on it.

Seems silly to remove an association when there is no point in removing it.

So.... why would you want to remove the file association you have with .sys files? do you ever open them manually with anything else? The association only has to do with how the file is run when you double click on it.

Seems silly to remove an association when there is no point in removing it.

it seems silly that Microsoft REMOVED the function of the OS to better manage file associations.

i wanted to open a SYS file with Notepad, but made the mistake of leaving the checkbox checked to always open that file type with Notepad.

i wanted to reverse that mistake.

which is sillier, wanting to fix a mistake, or removing the ability to easily fix the mistake??

it seems silly that Microsoft REMOVED the function of the OS to better manage file associations.

i wanted to open a SYS file with Notepad, but made the mistake of leaving the checkbox checked to always open that file type with Notepad.

which is sillier, wanting to fix a mistake, or removing the ability to easily fix the mistake??

Here is one way without using a 3rd party tool:

Make sure "Hide extensions for know file types" is unchecked in Folder Options and create a new text file. Rename the '.txt' to '.exe' so you get "New Text Document.exe" and associate what ever file type you want to that exe. Now delete "New Text Document.exe" and when you click the file type the "Open with" menu will come up again asking you to select a program to open it.

Just realize that your mistake has very little effect on your system. The only thing it does, is when you double click that type of file, it opens using the program you have selected. You would typically not double click that type of file, and if you did want to do anything with that type of file, it would most likely be view it using notepad, wordpad, or some other text viewing program.

I think it is not a big deal. If you want to change what program you use to open the particular file, now all you have to do is go to Start Menu > Default programs. In XP this same thing was buried deep in a folder menu.

change the icon of an extension ....for example put a big png icon for an *.torrent :p

I miss the powertoy being able to right click on a picture and resize it...

Damnit I miss that feature too!

Try Photo Gadget Pro (http://www.xemico.com/photogadget/)

There is a free version that will do resize using low JPG quality.

Unfortunately you have to pay to get the Pro version, but it's only $15, and it does resizing, rotating and much more, using better JPG quality settings. Theres a 15 day trial for the Pro version too.

I'm thinking about splashing out and buying it... whoo 15 bucks!

Edited by kev_gordon

I'm bummed that Remote Desktop support is missing from Vista Home Premium. It's only available in Business and Ultimate.

My kids' PCs currently have XP Professional. It is nice being able to remote desktop into their computers to install software (they do not run as Administrator) or do routine maintenance.

Now I have to upgrade them to Vista Ultimate (one of the main reasons I haven't so far is the cost). I can get XP Pro for ~$139, but Vista Ultimate upgrade is ~$229. Home Premium upgrade is the same cost as XP Pro ~$139.

If you look at the comparison of Home Premium and Ultimate, there are only 4 extra features that are in Ultimate.

1) Complete PC Backup and Restore

2) Fax and Scan

3) Remote Desktop Connection

4) BitLocker Drive Encryption

Of these 4, only Remote Desktop is useful, and it's a shame that I have to pay a $90 premium to get it when I already have it in XP.

I'm bummed that Remote Desktop support is missing from Vista Home Premium. It's only available in Business and Ultimate.

My kids' PCs currently have XP Professional. It is nice being able to remote desktop into their computers to install software (they do not run as Administrator) or do routine maintenance.

Now I have to upgrade them to Vista Ultimate (one of the main reasons I haven't so far is the cost). I can get XP Pro for ~$139, but Vista Ultimate upgrade is ~$229. Home Premium upgrade is the same cost as XP Pro ~$139.

If you look at the comparison of Home Premium and Ultimate, there are only 4 extra features that are in Ultimate.

2) Fax and Scan

Of these 4, only Remote Desktop is useful, and it's a shame that I have to pay a $90 premium to get it when I already have it in XP.

Yeah, a lot of people didn't like that MS removed Remote Desktop. Though, I suppose if you think about it, it's more of something you'd use in a production environment. At the very least, Microsoft doesn't expect the 'average' home user to use Remote Desktop, and they're usually the power users so they should go Ultimate.

2) Fax and Scan

Vista Business (aka professional) as RDP... why would you have to go all the way to Ultimate?