Windows Ultimate Extras

Is Ultimate Extras a Sham?  

334 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the value of Ultimate Extras?

• Yes
    • What Ultimate Extras?
    • No

Speculate all you want, the fact of the matter is that Microsoft is disappointing a large amount of Ultimate users with a lack of content.

The "fact of the matter" is that people are disappointing themselves by expecting a flood of content when Microsoft didn't even guarantee a minimum.

I got Ultimate for the fact that I wanted all the features possible. If they'd like to give me more stuff, then great, but I'm not going to cry about it if they don't as I got what I purchased already.

I expected nice 16:10 wallpapers, perhaps an extra theme, powertoys maybe even more Windows Games (not card games).

I think such a large company should have no problem accomplishing BOTH. The way it looks now, SP1 will more than likely be a rollup of updates for easier deployment, and just that.

Who says they're not? What they've done so far wasn't created by Vista devs. All I'm saying is I would rather see all of them working on SP1.

The "fact of the matter" is that people are disappointing themselves by expecting a flood of content when Microsoft didn't even guarantee a minimum.

I don't think anyone's expecting a 'flood' of features. I just think they weren't expecting a complete drought. I mean, even a simple post on the Windows Ultimate blog with something along the lines of "the blog has been silent for a few months, but we're busy working on features' would probably appease a lot of people.

Too bad they didn't hold out and save the following for Ultimate Extras rather than make'em for the rest of the world lol

Live Writer

Windows Live Mail (client for free hotmail accounts)

A pre-ordered (no need for credit card verification) office live domain (basics)

A version of WLM that is similar to the new Yahoo Messenger for Vista (with all the fun goodies)

I grow very tired of such pedantic rants.

Then don't participate in the thread. It really is that easy.

Truth is, for most of us (as the poll shows) that purchased the Ultimate version of Vista; there is no customer satisfaction in these "Ultimate Extras".

I expected nice 16:10 wallpapers, perhaps an extra theme, powertoys maybe even more Windows Games (not card games).

me2. blows that they pretty much killed it. i mean, you can't release something and tout a feature so much and kill it off. sure they CAN in terms of being able to physically, but it seems even like false advertising.

Then don't participate in the thread. It really is that easy.

Truth is, for most of us (as the poll shows) that purchased the Ultimate version of Vista; there is no customer satisfaction in these "Ultimate Extras".

I'm not in disagreement that most people are disappointed. It is rather tiring though, hearing people complain about not getting something when they were never told what it would be.

Rather than complaining about feeling let down by Microsoft, why aren't people contemplating their own wisdom in buying something they didn't even know they needed? So people bought Ultimate. Why did people choose that version? My reason was to get the functionality of Business, so I can host a website, and Home Premium, so I can share my 120 Gigs of music across the network easily and use Media Center functionality as well.

So, for 240 dollars (US), I got the functionality of 400 dollars. The 'Ultimate Extras' were not the reason for my purchase so I cannot really complain about it. Besides, who knows what Microsoft is going to be throwing down the 'net in the future. We do have 3 years (approximately) before the next consumer level (read home user or workstation) version of Windows surfaces.

Now, to address your postulation that I not participate in the thread- I admit it was a somewhat childish-sounding comment to make, particularly since I offered nothing more than the comment. That is my fault for doing so and I apologize for my mini-tantrum. However, I feel that if people were not so polarized against things Microsoft, an intelligent discussion may be possible.

Unfortunately, many of the discussions online, as well as individual posts, appear to be thinly-veiled disguises.

Good day.

I'm not in disagreement that most people are disappointed ****ed. It is rather tiring though, hearing people complain bitch about not getting something when they were never told what it would be. Erm? yes they were. I believe it was something like:b>

i have home premium,and if something cool will be on ultimate extras,i'll play with it on a ultimate install with the rearm ,no need to give over 4-500 euros for ultimate :)

ultimate is the name of a version microsoft needs to make big money for people that don't care about the price and things over home premium.

ultimate sould be 250 dollars and home premium 200 :) ,even then,50 dolars for a cheep remote desktop tool is to much,RADMIN is the way to go.

Windows Vista Ultimate. This edition provides a superset of all the features of the other editions of Windows Vista, including the media capabilities of Windows Vista Home Premium and the business features of Windows Vista Business. It adds Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect data on a lost or stolen PC. Windows Vista Ultimate also offers Windows Ultimate Extras, free downloads that extend functionality or provide new features.

Nobody forced you to buy Ultimatet. Also you can find paid and free alternates to all 4 Extras out now.

Example Dreamscene -> VLC player's Wallpaper mode.

Anything MS gives for "free" is not free. It kills me when people say they got to download this or that for free because they use VU. You paid for those "free" downloads to begin with.

Rather than complaining bitching about feeling let down by Microsoft, why aren't people contemplating thinking about their own wisdom thinking their own thoughts in buying something they didn't even know they needed? So people bought Ultimate. Why did people choose that version? My reason was to get the functionality of Business, so I can host a website, and Home Premium, so I can share my 120 Gigs of music across the network easily and use Media Center functionality as well.

So, for 240 dollars (US), I got the functionality of 400 dollars. The 'Ultimate Extras' were not the reason for my purchase so I cannot really complain about it. Besides, who knows what Microsoft is going to be throwing down the 'net in the future. We do have 3 years (approximately) before the next consumer level (read home user or workstation(congratulations, because no one knows what consumer means? cheers. As if I didn't already feel stupid enough reading this post)b>) version of Windows surfaces.

Now, to address your postulationwhinyb> post that I not participate in the thread- I admit it was an somewhatincrediblyb> childishsmartb>-sounding comment to make, particularly since I offered nothing more than th[stupid, I'm trying to above everyoneb>]comment. That is my faul(yes it is)b> for doing so and I apologizebeg for forgiveness b>for my mini-tantrum stupid postb>. Howeverbutb>, I feel that if people were not so polarized againstopposed to all b>things Microsoft, an intelligent smart b>discussion m[never]b> be possible.

Unfortunately alas, many of the "discussions" online, as well as individual posts, appear to be thinly-veiled disguises for us to pwn all of your asses.

Good day**** offb>Get off your high horse you ostentatious fool. We can all us big words... Oh yeah, and get your facts right, we were all told exactly what we would be getting and so far we've pretty much got poker and a dreamscene beta. whopee... yay 7 months since RTM and 4months since June 30thb>

Ya' know... I read your whole post and didn't know exactly when I should start laughing. But then I decided that this was the best time:[quotyay 7 months since RTM and 4months since June 30thb>It's June 16th. Maybe you meanJanuary...i> but I'm not a mind reader... and if I were, I don't think I'd undertake that challenge with you. Sanity does have its bounds.

I appreciate your 'creative' editing of my post. Unfortunately, you're not as good at mind reading as I am. I actually meant the words I used. Your blatent attempt at changing my words, bordering at times on libel, was moderately humorous.

The next time you feel so inclined as to attempt to 'dumb down' my words for what one can only assume is to elevate your social status, that being the primary reason, and secondly to cater to those who you feel are 'stupid', your opinion of the Neowin audience... at least realize that my words are there as well for the smart people to read. You can strike-through, bold, italicize or otherwise alter what I write but people will see what I've written... and what you've written in a vain attempt to bastardize my words.

They are free to compare what I intended to write, because it is there, and what you were hoping I'd write, or maybe evewishedi> you'd written yourself.

[quotWe can all us big words...b>

And it is nice to know you can use big words, but can't properly spell the small ones... 'all us big words'? Surely you meant 'use' big words.

You can't space between words... I'm guessing Advanced Placement wasn't your bag?

I'm thinking it's about time you went back over there to do over there things since you're having trouble doing over here things.

Cheers!

I have no clue as to why PPL are saying that the Ultimate Extras was not a Microsoft selling point and that they did not promise anything...

the fact of the matter is. is that Ultimate Extras was the ONLY selling point in Ultimate go see for yourselfs look at all the videos and then come back and tell me that I should not be ****ed at microsoft for this Ultimate Extras SCAM.

whoever says that the Ultimate Extras SCAM is NOT a SCAM is 100% Bull$|-|!ting.

i cant really complain about the lack of extras since ultimate was given to me by ms for testing, but there really should be more or even little things (more dreamscene content)

I have no clue as to why PPL are saying that the Ultimate Extras was not a Microsoft selling point and that they did not promise anything...

the fact of the matter is. is that Ultimate Extras was the ONLY selling point in Ultimate

:rolleyes:

Eh, no. The point of Ultimate was having all the features of all the other versions in one. Extras were just that, extras that were given because you purchased the most expensive version. I think it would be stupid to purchase Ultimate based on the extras when there was no guarantee of what they were and when they would be provided, and if you did then I feel very sorry for you.

the fact of the matter is. is that Ultimate Extras was the ONLY selling point in Ultimate go see for yourselfs look at all the videos and then come back and tell me that I should not be ****ed at microsoft for this Ultimate Extras SCAM.

whoever says that the Ultimate Extras SCAM is NOT a SCAM is 100% Bull$|-|!ting.

So, being able to join a domain and run Media Center at the same time isn't a selling point? Or maybe you'd be more happy buying both Business and Home Premium versions, and running Home Premium in a virual machine under Business?

What choices I had:

Home Premium (full): 239.00

Business (upgrade): 199.00

Ultimate (upgrade- signature edition): 239.00 (on sale- store closing)

Considering I'm somewhat of a savvy user... for one, I have a legit XP install, and also know that I can install the upgrade, but not activate, then install again over the top of that then activate and have no problems...

... and the Ultimate upgrade cost the same as the Home Premium full edition.

How 'no-brained' is that decision?

Eh, no. The point of Ultimate was having all the features of all the other versions in one. Extras were just that, extras that were given because you purchased the most expensive version. I think it would be stupid to purchase Ultimate based on the extras when there was no guarantee of what they were and when they would be provided, and if you did then I feel very sorry for you.

^ +1

And those people didn't purchase Ultimate based on extras? Are they stupid too?

No matter if "extras" were or were not a factor in the purchasing decision, money was still paid towards this "feature". And because it is a feature Microsoft advertised it to be, it should deliver the "cutting-edge programs", "innovative services" and "unique publications" it was advertised to deliver.

And those people didn't purchase Ultimate based on extras? Are they stupid too?

Why do I need to repeat myself? I specifically said that if you did purchase Ultimate based upon the Ultimate Extras alone then you are stupid. If you purchased it for the real Ultimate features, then right on. That's why I purchased Ultimate.

No matter if "extras" were or were not a factor in the purchasing decision, money was still paid towards this "feature". And because it is a feature Microsoft advertised it to be, it should deliver the "cutting-edge programs", "innovative services" and "unique publications" it was advertised to deliver.

And that's fine. But nobody can say that Microsoft won't deliver on this simply because a) it's only been less than six months since Vista's release, and b) they have delivered three Ultimate Extras already, no matter how disappointed some people may be with them.

I'm just saying that nobody can say the Extras are a scam or not worth the money they paid for Ultimate because nobody knows for sure that Microsoft won't deliver more or won't eventually satisfy their level of expectations for it.

Just give them time; if it turns out to be a year before we see anything substantial, I'll probably be switching sides in this argument. Now is just too early to complain IMHO.

i payed extra for..

HDD encryption - doesn't work on my PC

Dreamscene - I dont like moving wallpapers thanks

Hold 'em texas poker - solitaire is much more classic

Just give them time; if it turns out to be a year before we see anything substantial, I'll probably be switching sides in this argument. Now is just too early to complain IMHO.

There you have it, the core issue. As reflected by the poll, the general consensus is that Microsoft is not delivering the extras and/or progress updates in a timely manner, and that now is the time to complain to them. I for one, consider a six month drought far too long, hence my disgust.

What ever happened to 'Windows Group Shot' for Ultimate Extras.

Its already available for download and has been for a few years - its not an ultimate extra though. Google it.

There you have it, the core issue. As reflected by the poll, the general consensus is that Microsoft is not delivering the extras and/or progress updates in a timely manner, and that now is the time to complain to them. I for one, consider a six month drought far too long, hence my disgust.

They've released three in the last six months, and no matter what you think about them, they therefore disprove this drought theory that you all are flogging.