Windows Ultimate Extras

Is Ultimate Extras a Sham?  

334 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied by the value of Ultimate Extras?

• Yes
    • What Ultimate Extras?
    • No

I wasn't going to say anything here because it wasn't worth it but...

Since technically nothing is happening with UE and no betas are going on I am thinking I can post about a couple of threads in the UE NG on connect. Two threads were made about the two internet blogs (istartedsomething and (windowsconnected) and they had a grand total of 2 replies.

Those replies didn't come from anyone at MS or any MVP, but from myself and one other very good beta tester. Now what does that mean.

1. No new UE anytime soon
  2. The UE team doesn't exist anymore
  3. MS is concentrating on XP SP 3/ Vista SP1
  4. UE is really a scam and UE is worthless, but if you look at stardock and dreamscapes, there are some pretty good ones out there.
  5. Who cares, you paid for Ultimate for the features of Vista, not UE

I appreciate your 'creative' editing of my post. Unfortunately, you're not as good at mind reading as I am. I actually meant the words I used. Your blatent attempt at changing my words, bordering at times on libel, was moderately humorous.

Cheers!

Touch? my friend, touch? indeed.

Perhaps, illicit substances, friends and a post that sounded remarkably like one of our profs. (I hope that?s not you professor Barker), is not the best combination to post (may I concede poorly) under, in any circumstances.

If I remember correctly, I think my post had something to do with the fact that UE's are aweful and pretty much non-existant,.

P.s. In fashion with my op, I did however feel it necessary to highlight the most important part of your post with regards m:whistle:tle:

Good day to you to sir, you have been a gentleman.

EDIT: oops I meant to highlight libel, I do apologize, my "attack" was competely without malice.

There you have it, the core issue. As reflected by the poll, the general consensus is that Microsoft is not delivering the extras and/or progress updates in a timely manner, and that now is the time to complain to them. I for one, consider a six month drought far too long, hence my disgust.

The problem with this poll is that anyone can vote, Vista Ultimate users or not.

I want to know what type free extras are people expecting every {week/month/a few months}?

They've released three in the last six months, and no matter what you think about them, they therefore disprove this drought theory that you all are flogging.

They have?? I only see 2 that was released and that is

1.) Hold 'Em Poker Game (Sucks)

2.) BitLocker and EFS Enhancements (Sucks since when do users really use this??? comeon Microsoft be Real)

the 3rd one I think your talking about is Windows DreamScene. If I recall thats still in Beta/Preview

or if your talking about the Language Packs. How is that called an Extra??? when in xp the Language Packs was all FREE.

The language packs are annoying. I don't need them yet they appear in the optional downloads everytime I check out Windows Update. I want to remove those useless things from the menu so I dont have to keep scrolling down to be able to see the things that are WORTH downloading.

They have?? I only see 2 that was released and that is

1.) Hold 'Em Poker Game (Sucks)

2.) BitLocker and EFS Enhancements (Sucks since when do users really use this??? comeon Microsoft be Real)

the 3rd one I think your talking about is Windows DreamScene. If I recall thats still in Beta/Preview

DreamScene has still been released to us, beta or not. And it will be updated.

And once again, it doesn't matter what you think of the Extras, because I personally know plenty of people that love the Hold 'Em game, there are plenty of people that love BitLocker, and DreamScene is a pretty cool concept which will be even better when people get some good content out for it.

They've released three in the last six months, and no matter what you think about them, they therefore disprove this drought theory that you all are flogging.

Since January 29th, the only extra is a "preview" of dreamscene (that is STILL in preview form, I might add). There is no "theory" here, we as consumers are unsatisfied with the current progress, and that is all that matters.

What I see here are users complaining about a feature that came with little or no promise as to what extras you would get, or when they would be released, and most certainly, whether you would like them. Extras are extras, that's pretty much it. The Ultimate extras team have already proven that this feature is, indeed, being supported (with the release of Dreamscene, Hold'em, and BitLocker) so I don't see what the problem is other than whining. If you don't like them, you can still enjoy Ultimate for what it really is: the full Windows experience. Or even better, perhaps you can suggest to the Ultimate Extras team about what you might want.

Or even better, perhaps you can suggest to the Ultimate Extras team about what you might want.

This part is a very good idea. If only they would provide some reassurance or feedback, as I'm positive a few people have suggested things.

I've sent them a e-mail a while back regarding this saying if they want people to buy ultimate, then they need to get the people what they want. and thats updates to ultimate extras. And introduce extras that will make people want to get ultimate. This could be things such as advance networking tools, securty etc. Not so much eye candy as not all care about that.

Since January 29th, the only extra is a "preview" of dreamscene (that is STILL in preview form, I might add). There is no "theory" here, we as consumers are unsatisfied with the current progress, and that is all that matters.

It's still DreamScene, is it not? It does what DreamScene is supposed to do. Would you rather still be waiting until it's complete? Or don't you think it's a good thing that they have indeed given users a taste of what DreamScene is? I think it's better that they did release a preview so that we wouldn't still be waiting for it, wondering what it will really be like.

You as consumers that are dissatisfied seems to be in a minority, so it really doesn't matter. Like I said, most people that I know that own Ultimate are satisfied with what Microsoft has given us as free extras, and are not whining about any sort of drought.

You all can whine all you want, but it won't change anything. If you'd like to try to do something, suggest new ideas to the Windows team (or whoever creates the Extras) so that they have fresh ideas to work with. That will actually be doing something more than just taking up space on an online forum.

I'm a very mellow person, and I don't complain about much, so maybe that's why I really don't care. But to be honest I think they've done all they need to so far. Like I said, if we get another six months down the road with nothing more substantial out, I'll probably be complaining too. But I'm fine with the progress for now.

i have all the ultimate extra except for bit blocker but i rather indeed like dreamscene, you know to me the ultimate extras thing idea from Microsoft is great cause ther is many ways it can go for us windows vista users.

Option A: Allowing us Vista ultimate users to test new software before anyone else weather it be before MSDN users possible and since ther is less vista users using ultimate eiditon then Home premium or business edition we could get exclusive Full software from other companies possibly because of the less # of ultimate users then ther are business and home premium users so they wouldant really be be losing allot of money but they could give it to us for Free First before it hits the market but hey Who knows all this is very possible

Option B: giving us exclusive vista programs combining the strengths of both the media capabilities of home premium and networking functions of business edition that are all in 1 program that are in business edition and premium that only us ultimate edition users have the ability to use just for us ultimate edition users

So we do have something business users and premium users don't have and that is the best of all worlds. All in 1 package and the capabilities to have 1 program using All the features from each vista version features

Edited by notuptome2004

I think that by the time the SP1 comes out and Longhorn Server is released, Microsoft will have added about 5 or 6, and theyll maybe focus slightly more on the Ultimate Extras. You're right though, its not worth it (ATM) but I definitely think that will change. But mostly I think Microsoft wants to keep it sort of "aesthetically pleasing" things, such as nice screensavers, wallpapers, interesting mini programs etc.

I think itll kick off, give it a chance,

Medking

DreamScene has still been released to us, beta or not. And it will be updated.

And once again, it doesn't matter what you think of the Extras, because I personally know plenty of people that love the Hold 'Em game, there are plenty of people that love BitLocker, and DreamScene is a pretty cool concept which will be even better when people get some good content out for it.

Maybe .. And this is just a long shot .. Look at the poll results, seems like a lot of people think Ultimate Extras are not loving what Microsoft has provided at a premium price.

Dreamscene is a gimmick and it's Wow factor wore off about 10 minutes after I installed it.

Maybe .. And this is just a long shot .. Look at the poll results, seems like a lot of people think Ultimate Extras are not loving what Microsoft has provided at a premium price.

Dreamscene is a gimmick and it's Wow factor wore off about 10 minutes after I installed it.

but Ultimate extras is still young

Neowin is not the entire world. It's an extremely small percentage of the population, most of which is more technically inclined than the average population. I wouldn't take poll results here and use them to generalize.

but Ultimate extras is still young

I have evidence to suggest it's pretty much dead. Since there is a major flaw in its architecture, it will never work reliably or work at all on non-English systems. And if it is true the UE team is dispersed, with no real team or development on it, it's not going to get better either.

I have evidence to suggest it's pretty much dead. Since there is a major flaw in its architecture, it will never work reliably or work at all on non-English systems. And if it is true the UE team is dispersed, with no real team or development on it, it's not going to get better either.

umm ther never was a real team UE is part of windows vista and thus anyone on the UE team is able to send out new content visa ultimate extras. vista has been out for what 4 months and you call it dead mmm wow give it time dude or Mam or Robot man or alien from another planet as dang it has been only 4 Months. you may as well say the Xbox 360 or any thing like that was Dead after the first 4 months cause nothing real for content you know ? have some real patients

umm ther never was a real team UE is part of windows vista and thus anyone on the UE team is able to send out new content visa ultimate extras. vista has been out for what 4 months and you call it dead mmm wow give it time dude or Mam or Robot man or alien from another planet as dang it has been only 4 Months. you may as well say the Xbox 360 or any thing like that was Dead after the first 4 months cause nothing real for content you know ? have some real patients

Whoops, I'm suppose to say "Dreamscene is dead..."

There was a "team" - right hand side http://windowsultimate.com/Blogs/Default.aspx?GroupID=6

XBOX might not have had anything in the first 4 months, but at least Microsoft had a roadmap of releases scheduled for the entire year.

Whoops, I'm suppose to say "Dreamscene is dead..."

There was a "team" - right hand side http://windowsultimate.com/Blogs/Default.aspx?GroupID=6

XBOX might not have had anything in the first 4 months, but at least Microsoft had a roadmap of releases scheduled for the entire year.

I think UE are dead aswell.. I have emailed the team and I have emailed/Called Microsoft Head office about UE and I have yet to get a Call/Email back. this was over 1 month ago. I have Called/Emailed more then 10 times aswell.

You all can whine all you want, but it won't change anything. If you'd like to try to do something, suggest new ideas to the Windows team (or whoever creates the Extras) so that they have fresh ideas to work with. That will actually be doing something more than just taking up space on an online forum.

I'm a very mellow person, and I don't complain about much, so maybe that's why I really don't care. But to be honest I think they've done all they need to so far. Like I said, if we get another six months down the road with nothing more substantial out, I'll probably be complaining too. But I'm fine with the progress for now.

Contact who? Anyone who's tried is pretty much re-iterating the fact that the UE team has disbanded. The fact that their blog hasn't been updated in 3 months doesn't exactly illicit confidence in their continued development of new extras.