[Review] DU@Lphone

I was spurred on to write this after seeing a VoIP review below. I've recently bought this phone so I thought I may as well try and write a review. This is my first review, ever. On anything. So if you think I've missed anything just quiz me afterwards. I'll tell you what I know. :)

RTX 3045 "DU@Lphone" and "DU@Lbase"

Skype-certified VoIP Telephone

What is it?

It's a VoIP Telephone specifically designed for Skype, which also doubles as a land-line (Hence the name).

In the box

In the box you get:

• DU@Lphone Handset
  • DU@Lbase Base/Charge Point
  • Base Stand
  • GP NiMH Rechargeable Battery Pack
  • Belt Clip
  • RJ11 Cable
  • AC Adapter
  • USB Cable
  • 2 Swappable Covers for the phone
  • Installation CD
  • Instruction Manual
  • 300 Minutes SkypeOut and 12 Months Voicemail Coupon
  • 30 Minutes SkypeOut Coupon

What drew me to it?

First and foremost, it's compatibility with Windows Vista. It is the only VoIP Phone that I have seen so far which officially has full software and hardware compatibility for Windows Vista.

It doubles as a land-line (either separately or simultaneously). It comes with all the connections, and it works just fine.

The price was also a big thing, considering what you get. It was (still is as of now) on special offer at the Skype store at ?39! Great value.

The 300-metre range also drew me to this product, and you can also use 4 different handsets with the base. I didn't need this, but it was good to know.

How long did it take to get it up and running?>

I connected the phone to my Vista PC via the USB Cable, and it detected and installed all the hardware successfully. I ran the installation program from the CD, and it linked me to their website so I could get their latest update, rather than the older version on the disc.

I install the software, and restarted my computer. It added a background task and application "Cordless DUALphone Suite.exe". With Skype up and running this task uses only 692KB memory (basically barely anything).

Upon starting Skype, it found the software, and asked me whether I wanted it to access Skype. I select Yes, and it all goes smoothly.

I called echo123 on it but there was no sound. Thankfully a link popped up and it showed me how to fix it (Just changing devices and volumes in the Skype options) - After that I could listen and speak fine.

And the Quality?>

The build quality of the handset is very good. It's made of a sturdy plastic, and the antennas on both the phone and the base are very small, and very durable. The buttons are made of nice smooth rubber, and the screen is lit by two bright green LED's. At the bottom of the handset is the charge socket, slightly sunken-in and out of the way. The phone also fits solidly into the base.

The 'face' of the phone is also removable, you get 2 different colours - Black and Silver

Also, on the left side there is a Headphone jack covered by a rubber lid. I don't see it's purpose but it must be there for a reason!

I meant Audio Quality!>

The audio quality, is quite spectacular. It's much better than any phone I've used, as well as microphones and headsets. It's really sharp and clear.

Although calling regular land-line telephones with the SkypeOut service gave me quite poor quality. I couldn't hear the person on the other end of the phone too well, although she appeared to hear me with clarity.

How good does it tie in with Skype?>

Well, I'm on Windows Vista, which 'officially' Skype doesn't support. But my experience with this phone has been excellent. If a contact starts a Chat with me, the phone will beep. On the handset my status is displayed, and the phone gives me messages if Skype is not turned on, or if the PC isn't turned on (Or if the internet isn't available).

My Skype contacts aren't on the handset, so I've had to add them in myself. The handset also keeps a log of all the recent outbound calls.

What about the other features?>

• An address book
  • A log of all outbound calls
  • Intercom function (Contact another local handset)
  • Make standard telephone call
  • Make Skype call
  • Redial
  • Speed Dial
  • Page function (Make the base beep so you can find and associate it with the handset)

The software suite is also nice and tidy. It has it's own set of 'Diagnostics' (It checks to see if all the things the phone needs to work are configured properly).

The start-up application stays out of the way, no System Tray icon or Window appears. It just loads as a process and it's the last you'll hear of it.

The software also automatically updates occasionally, in the background.

In Short...>

I love this phone, but it has it's shortcomings. Like the less-than-average audio quality on Internet to Land-line calls, and the fact that the Base doesn't tell you if the phone is fully charged or not. But those aren'tthat> important.

The coupons that came with the handset surprised me as well, I got a lot for my money.

So if you're in the market for a cheap cordless Skype phone, I'd get this. It looks a little cute and dinky in the screenshots, but it's actually regularly-sized.

Verdict>

Value: 9/10

Quality: 8/10

Software: 9/10

Compatibility: 9/10

Overall: 9/10>

http://accessories.skype.com/item?SID=be84...sku=3045PHPROMO

• 2 years later...

Hi Jamesyfx,

couple of years have gone by since you wrote this, but still.....

I have recently installed Vista Business and bought the RTX3045 - and I cannot make it work. No sound at all when I try to dial..it just dies on me.

Everything seems to work, it tells me I am online etc., but when I have dialled someone it goes silent.

I have downloaded the newest software from RTX/Dualphone and Skype, have walked over all the sound settings in Skype and in Vista/the pc - but still cannot make it work

I have had weeks of conversation with RTX Dualphone Support and after a long time they now state "RTX3045 does not work with Windows Vista or 7...we do not update the software". This is also the statement of Skypeshop.se on their product page, where they tell that the system requirements are Windows 2000 or XP - AND that it probably will not work with Vista or 7.

IS there some hidden trick behind thi that I cannot see? Or has the world changed since June 14th 2007?

Would love to have your advice on this one!

Regards from snowy Sweden

"Kullen"

-------------------

I was spurred on to write this after seeing a VoIP review below. I've recently bought this phone so I thought I may as well try and write a review. This is my first review, ever. On anything. So if you think I've missed anything just quiz me afterwards. I'll tell you what I know. :)

RTX 3045 "DU@Lphone" and "DU@Lbase"

Skype-certified VoIP Telephone

What is it?

It's a VoIP Telephone specifically designed for Skype, which also doubles as a land-line (Hence the name).

In the box

In the box you get:

• DU@Lphone Handset
  • DU@Lbase Base/Charge Point
  • Base Stand
  • GP NiMH Rechargeable Battery Pack
  • Belt Clip
  • RJ11 Cable
  • AC Adapter
  • USB Cable
  • 2 Swappable Covers for the phone
  • Installation CD
  • Instruction Manual
  • 300 Minutes SkypeOut and 12 Months Voicemail Coupon
  • 30 Minutes SkypeOut Coupon

What drew me to it?

First and foremost, it's compatibility with Windows Vista. It is the only VoIP Phone that I have seen so far which officially has full software and hardware compatibility for Windows Vista.

It doubles as a land-line (either separately or simultaneously). It comes with all the connections, and it works just fine.

The price was also a big thing, considering what you get. It was (still is as of now) on special offer at the Skype store at ?39! Great value.

The 300-metre range also drew me to this product, and you can also use 4 different handsets with the base. I didn't need this, but it was good to know.

How long did it take to get it up and running?>

I connected the phone to my Vista PC via the USB Cable, and it detected and installed all the hardware successfully. I ran the installation program from the CD, and it linked me to their website so I could get their latest update, rather than the older version on the disc.

I install the software, and restarted my computer. It added a background task and application "Cordless DUALphone Suite.exe". With Skype up and running this task uses only 692KB memory (basically barely anything).

Upon starting Skype, it found the software, and asked me whether I wanted it to access Skype. I select Yes, and it all goes smoothly.

I called echo123 on it but there was no sound. Thankfully a link popped up and it showed me how to fix it (Just changing devices and volumes in the Skype options) - After that I could listen and speak fine.

And the Quality?>

The build quality of the handset is very good. It's made of a sturdy plastic, and the antennas on both the phone and the base are very small, and very durable. The buttons are made of nice smooth rubber, and the screen is lit by two bright green LED's. At the bottom of the handset is the charge socket, slightly sunken-in and out of the way. The phone also fits solidly into the base.

The 'face' of the phone is also removable, you get 2 different colours - Black and Silver

Also, on the left side there is a Headphone jack covered by a rubber lid. I don't see it's purpose but it must be there for a reason!

I meant Audio Quality!>

The audio quality, is quite spectacular. It's much better than any phone I've used, as well as microphones and headsets. It's really sharp and clear.

Although calling regular land-line telephones with the SkypeOut service gave me quite poor quality. I couldn't hear the person on the other end of the phone too well, although she appeared to hear me with clarity.

How good does it tie in with Skype?>

Well, I'm on Windows Vista, which 'officially' Skype doesn't support. But my experience with this phone has been excellent. If a contact starts a Chat with me, the phone will beep. On the handset my status is displayed, and the phone gives me messages if Skype is not turned on, or if the PC isn't turned on (Or if the internet isn't available).

My Skype contacts aren't on the handset, so I've had to add them in myself. The handset also keeps a log of all the recent outbound calls.

What about the other features?>

• An address book
  • A log of all outbound calls
  • Intercom function (Contact another local handset)
  • Make standard telephone call
  • Make Skype call
  • Redial
  • Speed Dial
  • Page function (Make the base beep so you can find and associate it with the handset)

The software suite is also nice and tidy. It has it's own set of 'Diagnostics' (It checks to see if all the things the phone needs to work are configured properly).

The start-up application stays out of the way, no System Tray icon or Window appears. It just loads as a process and it's the last you'll hear of it.

The software also automatically updates occasionally, in the background.

In Short...>

I love this phone, but it has it's shortcomings. Like the less-than-average audio quality on Internet to Land-line calls, and the fact that the Base doesn't tell you if the phone is fully charged or not. But those aren'tthat> important.

The coupons that came with the handset surprised me as well, I got a lot for my money.

So if you're in the market for a cheap cordless Skype phone, I'd get this. It looks a little cute and dinky in the screenshots, but it's actually regularly-sized.

Verdict>

Value: 9/10

Quality: 8/10

Software: 9/10

Compatibility: 9/10

Overall: 9/10>

http://accessories.skype.com/item?SID=be84...sku=3045PHPROMO

Hi Jamesyfx,

couple of years have gone by since you wrote this, but still.....

I have recently installed Vista Business and bought the RTX3045 - and I cannot make it work. No sound at all when I try to dial..it just dies on me.

Everything seems to work, it tells me I am online etc., but when I have dialled someone it goes silent.

I have downloaded the newest software from RTX/Dualphone and Skype, have walked over all the sound settings in Skype and in Vista/the pc - but still cannot make it work

I have had weeks of conversation with RTX Dualphone Support and after a long time they now state "RTX3045 does not work with Windows Vista or 7...we do not update the software". This is also the statement of Skypeshop.se on their product page, where they tell that the system requirements are Windows 2000 or XP - AND that it probably will not work with Vista or 7.

IS there some hidden trick behind thi that I cannot see? Or has the world changed since June 14th 2007?

Would love to have your advice on this one!

Regards from snowy Sweden

"Kullen"

-------------------

Did you try the latest software?

http://dualphone.net/Get_software-42.aspx

Did you try going to the site?

Hmm, I really don't know. I don't own the product or the OS anymore. It's been a long time!

Although I can vouch for the Vista compatibility. I selected it because it had the Vista certified logo... So I'm not sure why they are denying compatibility. Strange!

Hmm, I really don't know. I don't own the product or the OS anymore. It's been a long time!

Although I can vouch for the Vista compatibility. I selected it because it had the Vista certified logo... So I'm not sure why they are denying compatibility. Strange!

Just as a personal curiosity, which VoIP/landline product do you use now?