Zune Review at 6 Months

velkymx

I?ve had my Zune now for just over 6 months and I want to know, what is the deal with updates?

While my Zune still has all of the original goodness as when I first got it at Christmas ? Microsoft has yet to really roll out anything worthwhile in terms of updates to the service or product.

Yes there have been a number of firmware updates. These have been purely bug fixes with NO new features or functionality. Sweet! Where is my Social? Why can?t I connect to my 802.11 network with the wi-fi yet? Why aren?t their even simple updates like file storage?

What about the Zune media software? Why, Update Not Needed! I want to know with a company as large as Microsoft is there a disconnect between the media teams? Why is the Zune stuck in a version 1.0 in bugs and features, when Media Player is at version 11 with numerous improvements and slick features?

I look at Apple, and while their systems are not as familiar with me as Windows or the Zune in general, I have to say they are definitely keeping on top of their products. I think the fact that we have red and pink Zunes instead of actual features to improve the core system just proves that Microsoft is not interested in the customer after the sale! iPods have calendars, contacts, games (solitaire anyone?) ? And the Zune can?t play an hour long video without loosing sync with the audio.

So why am I complaining about this? The Zune was supposed to be the iPod killer. While many of the features are there, and the big screen is definitely a plus, it?s as though the Zune is an aborted fetus. I want more from my Zune, nay I expect more from Microsoft?s iPod killer after 6 months. My biggest gripe is with the Zune software.

The Zune software has to be the most hacked together copy of software I?ve ever used. The inconsistent user interface (UI) coupled with the complete lack of functions to manage my files stored on my device make it a HORROR to work with.

Microsoft Zune team listen up!

Here are couple of things that are FUBAR in the Zune software ? that everyone else can already do, even Windows Media Player.

1. Manage Meta Data ? I want to change names of videos and songs. I want to manage the data as I see fit. Why are you hamstringing me??

2. User Interface ? Why is the familiar UI from all other types of Windows applications missing? WEEE I can skin an application ? and hit functionality all over the place. What is with the Icons all over the place? Why 3 menus for media? Who came up with this ? did anyone even test this with someone who has used anything other than iTunes??

3. Options. When I change the options of my program, I want to be able to change all of the settings. I don?t want to have to hunt around for the settings for my Zune on the right or ripping in a tab.

4. Photos. Why can?t I rotate and crop images? Or take the red eye out? Even these two things would be a HUGE improvement. When I have an image that is tall instead of wide, if the Zune isn?t smart enough to rotate it ? at least let me do it in the tools!

5. Play lists ? This is my favorite. Create a playlist then rename it. It just doesn?t work. Some places it has the new name and other it has the old. Awesome.

So what is the fix? Merge Windows Media Player 12 and the Zune software. Take the Zune team of H-1B and overseas talent and give it over to some who has experience with UI and usability. Instead of trying to BE Apple, why not look around? WinAmp for example is superior in a lot of ways. If you are going to roll out a new system separate from your existing system at least make it as good as what you have. Better yet, give us a SDK for developing for the Zune!

I think Tommy Boy said it best ?Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.? Have some respect for your brand and for your users and get an update out that will actually address the shortcomings of the product!

Steve Jobs isn't a genious - he just calls it the way he sees it and after the Zune, I have to say those Apple commercials really hit home with me.

Source: http://www.synergymx.com/page.php?Title=Zu...after_6_Months/

PL_

Yeah, I sold my Zune because I was sick of the bad points you mentioned.

peacemf

thanks for the review

im looking at the new apple ipod (with rockbox) as a replacement for my stolen Creative M VIsion. (creative are now delisted from the stock market = bad time ahead for them!)

DanManIt

My friend has a Zune and likes it. I've played with it and I've used the Zune software on his PC and I'm really glad I chose the iPod over it.

azz0r_wugg

Photo and song meta data editing can be done quite easily in Explorer...doesnt really answer your point....but its a solution.

DanManIt
thanks for the review

im looking at the new apple ipod (with rockbox) as a replacement for my stolen Creative M VIsion. (creative are now delisted from the stock market = bad time ahead for them!)

I noticed the rockbox site is down :huh:

velkymx

I actually really like my Zune I just have some nagging issues.

sundayx

I have yet to even see and touch a Zune in real life.

Quillz
I have yet to even see and touch a Zune in real life.

I've never used one, but I've seen a few at some retail stores and used by people on the bus.

MR_Candyman

I've seen the occasional couple in stores, but I have yet to actually see anybody with a zune.

Persoanlly, I knew MS wouldn't support the thing, they never do. I like MS hardware and I like their windows mobile, but I know there's never any support for it.

vincent

I'll stick to my PSP and 3.40 OE-A :D

Bawx

I've only seen one in real life.

Oh, and there are no updates for you because no one bought it, no one wants it, it's crap, so MS doesn't waste their time with it.

Randolph

I have to say Apple really has a winner here.

I owned the everything INCLUDING the zune, zen vision:m, and ipod video. I have to say the iPod Video wins hands down.

Features, support, usability, etc just makes it a great MP3 player.

cchasem

I like my zune a lot. I also own an 80GB ipod, and whenever i use it, i feel... bored. I really like the fading transitions and the larger screen on my Zune. The Zune (once you get your music loaded onto it..) seems easier to use to me. I guess I'm just not good at using the lil scroll-wheel of the ipod.

crazzy88ss

Good review. I now have something to tell my customers about when they ask me why the Zune is nowhere to be found. (I work at Radioshack)

kickenchicken360
thanks for the review

um not true, there not a US based companie so it doesnt mean death for them, they are based in singapore, plus they are delisting because its a waste of money for them, and because there major sales are in Asia and Europe, not the Us, so its good move, not a bad move.

http://www.epizenter.net/comment.php?comment.news.292

Id like a lime green zune, that would look nice.

um not true, there not a US based companie so it doesnt mean death for them, they are based in singapore, plus they are delisting because its a waste of money for them, and because there major sales are in Asia and Europe, not the Us, so its good move, not a bad move.

http://www.epizenter.net/comment.php?comment.news.292

Id like a lime green zune, that would look nice.

Does that mean that Creative is giving up in the US? I've always liked the Vision:M, thought about getting one to replace my iPod down the road, but it seemed like they never bothered to market themselves in the DAP market.

TruckWEB

No Zune in Canada yet.... So can't say anything bad about it. Still, I love my iPod + iTune. Works very well.

L3thal

My Zune works great. Besides a few of those problems mentioned about the Zune software, the Zune player works very nicely.

Good thing I sold my iPod last year :p

MightyJordan
My friend has a Zune and likes it. I've played with it and I've used the Zune software on his PC and I'm really glad I chose the iPod over it.

+1.

I love the Zune as well. It does have the ability to beat the iPod. It just needs more time. iPods have been going for 5 or 6 years now. Zune, 6 months. Also, at the rate Microsoft is going, compared to the iPod, they WILL beat the iPod in a few years time. It's because of the current sale rate. It took Apple 2 years to sell 1 million iPods. Microsoft have done that in just under 6 months! It adds up! If things kept going on at this rate, in 5 or 6 years time, that would mean that over 400 million Zunes would have been sold! :D Keep 'em coming, Microsoft!

chrisgeleven

To deflate your bubble, it took 2 years for Apple to sell a million iPods because it was first only available on Macs and the market for digital music players hadn't been really established. That is slightly different then the Zune having access to 95% of the market right away.

ericnkatz

I like my zune, but MS really does need to throw us some support. An updated Zune software integrated with a new version of WMP would be very very nice (are we being too hopeful though? :( )!

Paulstorm

Luvin my Zune as well. We're not even at one year yet -- I have no doubt they are going to roll out some new functionality & features in the software. I use my Zune all the time.

I just saw another person with a Zune today on my train ride to work. I spotted the headphones from far away first. On my particular train that I usually take into work...I usually spot 3-5 people with Zunes. Granted...way more have iPods...but 6 months ago I saw none. With marketshare in the hard drive based category up to 11.3% (highest % since launch)...obviously something is working right.

I've never used one, but I've seen a few at some retail stores and used by people on the bus.

You guys should test drive one in the retail stores. :) Or ask one of the ppl you see usin em on the Metro. = ] One interesting thing I've noticed...most Zune users seem to leave their wireless on. When I spot a Zune user...I'll throw on my wireless just to see if they are on. :) I was on the Subway in LA the other day and sending a song to this other guy sparked a whole conversation. Kinda cool...

MightyJordan

Yeah, that is pretty cool. I just wished there was someone with a Zune in my hometown. Not a single one as far as I know. In my school, they all had iPods, Creatives, or they used their mobile phones. Is there anyone here from Plymouth who has a Zune? Just a wild shot in the dark here.

I signed up once for a map thing that showed Zune owners around the world, but I've forgotten the link.