Zune Review at 6 Months

Dinggus

I actually traded my Zune for an iPod Video, I'm more satisfied with the iPod.

peacemf

i have a zune

and i live in the UK :) (ebay)

its pretty cool, has some nice features BUT

lacks half of the features of the ipod and most of the features of the zen m vision. Ive owned the creative.

DrCheese

I think MS just dumped it out there and left it as a version 1 product, to get a feel for how the market would react to them entering. I'm guessing they will roll out a newer version sooner or later and that will be the one they bother to work on.

I got an ipod in the end, despite how annoying I find itunes and the lack of being able to change the battery easily. Only thing I'd really want from the zune is the FM radio tuner, but commercial radio bugs the hell out of me nowadays so its not a massive problem

velkymx

OK... So I caved and sold my Zune on Ebay to exchange it for a iPod (5.5G 30 GB). So far it has been more than worth it. The maturity of the player and the software absolutely destroy the zune. I am going to have to do a ZvsI write up on it.

• 4 weeks later...
SirEvan

thanks for the review..i was seriously thinking about buying one, but think imma go with the Ipod touch instead....ive been waiting for that for longer than the zune.

Chicane-UK

I hate to say it but this sounds like typical Microsoft.

Now i'll say now i've not used a Zune as yet, and am an iPod owner but was more than ready for some worthwhile competition from Microsoft for the iPod.. just as usual they've done a half assed job, released a product and then completely forgotten about it when it didn't sell as well as they hoped.

This is the problem with Microsoft. Too many fingers, too many pies. They have the right people to make market leading products - now they just need to slim down the amount of stuff they're working on and concentrate on battling stuff like the iPod.

Though what with the most recent iPod releases.. they'll have plenty to keep em busy! :D

• 4 weeks later...
unimatrixzer0

Are there any third party apps you can install on the Zune to play xvid files or is converting the only way?

Quillz

I wonder if the third generation Zune will add full-blown Wi-Fi like what it seen on the iPhone and iPod touch? I could see a version of IE7 being built into the Zune.

Digitalx

lol ^ would hope it's a bit faster then IE7 on pc with no phishing or none of that laggy junk but i somehow doubt it the aesthetics with the wheel thing wouldn't be something they'd be able to use efficiently for input so i think it'll blow over till they have some way of doing it.

• 1 month later...
MightyJordan

Anyone here upgraded their Zune to 2.2 yet? I just did it an hour ago. The software looks amazing, but it won't change the album covers even when I tell it what to change it to. I don't like the new rating system, either. Love (3-5 stars) or Hate (1 or 2 stars). That's f'd my collection up now.

Morpheus Phreak
Anyone here upgraded their Zune to 2.2 yet? I just did it an hour ago. The software looks amazing, but it won't change the album covers even when I tell it what to change it to. I don't like the new rating system, either. Love (3-5 stars) or Hate (1 or 2 stars). That's f'd my collection up now.

I've updated and I love the new software minus a couple things.

One the editing on the desktop Zune software has been limited a bit.

I also still want a clock and custom EQ on the device.

As for the new Love/Hate system, I don't really care. I only load my Zune with music I like.

• 2 weeks later...
compass4

I picked up a Zune1 on Woot for $80 to replace my 4th Gen Ipod. Got the 2.0 software update a couple days after it arrived.

I did'nt really ever use my Zune with the old software. But with the new software, a 30GB MP3/video device is really hard to beat for $80. It's a huge upgrade over my worn out old IPod.

I don't really have any complaints with the Zune or the software. In fact the new Zune software is easy to use and graphically more pleasing then the Itunes "spreadsheet". Navigation of the library seems easy enough. It installed without issue on Vista 64bit. The upgrade of the device software had no issues either.

If anyone was in the same situation that i was, old Mp3 player they wanted to replace, i would recomend finding a refurb 1st gen Zune without question. The price is right. I'm sure that the new Ipods are very slick, touch screens and Wifi and all.. But if your looking for portable music "on the cheap" and don't care about style "points" grab a cheap Zune and you'll be happy.

0sit0

after using the zune software I decided to get a zune :)

sibot

Sadly we don't have Zune here in India as yet. I was using Creative Zen, long time back and loved every bit of it. It was the most amazing player i ever owned. I got a Sony Vaio now, and its pretty decent, but nothing compared to Creative again. All my friends have ipod's like everyone else does too :p...And frankly speaking, i really don't see whats so great about it. Its an apple'ized mp3 player, its pretty basic. Sound is nothing to write home about, creative offers way better sound. Ipod just seems to be loud, thats it. No balancing of sound.

Anyway, I'm gonna be changing my mp3 player soon, hoping its gonna be a Creative again, if not then a Zune. But def not an ipod. Who wants to be just another one in the crowd?

BoDEAN

Where have you folks been the last few years?

Ipod is by far the most popular, and best reviewed ipod on the market. Did you not realize this when purchasing a ZUNE?

Shame on you.

KC
Where have you folks been the last few years?

Ipod is by far the most popular, and best reviewed ipod on the market. Did you not realize this when purchasing a ZUNE?

Shame on you.

Oh I was very aware of that.....in fact I had a nano and bought my wife a Nano. I wanted a Zune though and really don't have any complaints about the device.