For God's sake! Fix the Folder View settings bug!

Happens to me. Damn annoying. Maybe a SP1 fix?

No SP1 doesn't fix it... I've tried... it drove me crazy!!!! :angry: Now I just ignore it... it changes back the way I set it automatically and changes views automatically... really strange if MS did not know this is happening!!

Thought I'd inform MS abt this error.. they are charging f****in $46 for support by email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: :angry:

This error is typical btw.. of a company that designed the OS where you have to click on the "start" button to shut down your computer.. :no:

I don't recall this problem pre SP1 or post SP1, but then again I don't use Vista. If I noticed this, it would've ****ed me off, but I don't remember it happening when I used Vista.

This error is typical btw.. of a company that designed the OS where you have to click on the "start" button to shut down your computer.. :no:

Where else should they put the shut down button? I actually think it's logical. The Start menu is supposed to "start" a task. Shutting down, locking, or restarting a system is a task that needs to be "started".

• 1 month later...

Since you want a way to reproduce, try to reproduce that.

Game explorer default view is large icon. I open it to list game, close it since I don't feel like playing any game in it right now. Then 3 minutes later, I open it again (in the meantime, I watched tv) and oh, list view, or title view, or any other view except one that's in icon. Tweak? none. WGA crack? not needed. It happened even after a fresh windows install.

The reason why it appears to be not fixed for everybody post-SP1 is because your icon settings registry keys were already corrupted.

I had this problem pre-SP1, I installed SP1 and purged the cache, and it's been working flawlessly ever since.

I can't seem to produce the registry file at this point, I don't know where I put it :(

The reason why it appears to be not fixed for everybody post-SP1 is because your icon settings registry keys were already corrupted.

Nope, that's not it. I did an integrated SP1 install on 2 seperate pcs and one exhibits the issue, the other does not.

Hmm, I have noticed this too, on and off. I havn't noticed it much recently (since upgrading to sp1?), but it still happens sometimes and is extremely annoying.

Nope, that's not it. I did an integrated SP1 install on 2 seperate pcs and one exhibits the issue, the other does not.
Odd, did you try deleting the settings again just to be sure?

I've had 3 Vista installations now (2x 32bit, 1x 64bit) and both have had this issue fixed by either deleting the folder view settings clean out of the registry, or just not setting any views prior to installing SP1.

See, when I do that, it's Large Icon view every time...

Mine always works fine for like a month, large icon view every time, but then it just starts randomly changing to something different and it starts happening in random folders. This happens on all my vista pc's. I can use the registry fix which fixes it.. for a while, then it comes back.

I have that problem in other folder, like one of my download folder. I set to details, change columns for the one I want. I close, I open it again and oh, large icon. Set back to details, columns need refixing, close, open, list view... It's random, never the samething.

This is a very annoying bug, i tried registry hacks to improve it but it still exsists - my only true annoyance with Windows Vista.

I can confirm it still happens on a freshly installed SP1 integrated version. I can't seem to consistently reproduce it though. :(

I'll back you up on that. If anything it may be worse, I've recently been in a directory that goes about 4 folders deep and it went from list(my preference) to tile to detail and back to tile.. very annoying.

• 3 months later...

It happens to me all the time and it's really annoying. Really bad. It takes me for ever to go to the setting I like again. I go back and it's changed again. I hate it.

How can it be that MS not notice this bug? Folders losing their view settings? Perhaps they tested Vista based on newbie usage and not heavy usage.

Why is it that when I set my personal folder to show thumbnail like on a default install. then when I come back later, it's in small details view and I have to change to back to thumbnail.

Please, MS test it by browsing loads of folders..I mean lots of it. Not 20, but hundreds. Remember Vista have like a million folders and for one thing it won't remember settings for every of it like it SHOULD. If I say Pictures folder should have thumbnails then I mean it! But no, I gets faced with a Pictures folder in basic format and details list - no picture-related tools.

Obsivously this IS a bug.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Is is fixed in Vista SP2

Not for me.

Most of my folders are set the way I want them (and only occasionally revert to something obscene like grouped Tiles). A few of my folders, however, seem to have become linked so that they always share the same view. The Computer and Windows folder views, for example, are stuck such that changing the view of Computer to Tiles/Grouped by Type also, consistently, changes the view of the Windows folder to the same.