Help with PhpMyAdmin

Question

Alright I've installed IIS in Vista and have also enabled MySQL and PHP.

I've attempted to install PhpMyAdmin however every time I attempt to go to:

http://192.168.1.100/phpmyadmin/scripts/setup.php

I get the following error

Cannot start session without errors, please check errors given in your PHP and/or webserver log file and configure your PHP installation properly.

Anyone have some pointers???

7 answers to this question

Can't help you with phpMyAdmin, but I will recommend SQLYog (free community version) instead, if all your looking for is a front end to your database. If you have other reasons and really need phpMyAdmin, then I apologize for trolling. :)

I believe by default the php.ini wants to store the files in needs for session in a temp folder within your user account. It is my hunch these locations cannot be accessed. Use the $_SESSION("varname") to test this idea out by making a simple script to test the idea.

Take a look at the PHP and ISS error logs. If you see anything with an error tag, post it here. I'm not too familiar with ISS but the errors should at least point us in the right direction as to whats wrong.

I used to have this problem which is similar to your problem. Now it has been fixed.

Here's the solution:

Right click on CMD.exe and "Run as administrator" and then type the commands below

icacls %windir%\serviceprofiles\networkservice\AppData\Local\Temp /grant Users:(CI)(S,WD,AD,X)

icacls %windir%\serviceprofiles\networkservice\AppData\Local\Temp /grant "CREATOR OWNER":(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)

:)

I used to have this problem which is similar to your problem. Now it has been fixed.

Here's the solution:

Right click on CMD.exe and "Run as administrator" and then type the commands below

icacls %windir%\serviceprofiles\networkservice\AppData\Local\Temp /grant Users:(CI)(S,WD,AD,X)

icacls %windir%\serviceprofiles\networkservice\AppData\Local\Temp /grant "CREATOR OWNER":(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)

:):)

Well I gave up on this a couple months ago... but decided to give it another try tonight....

That command above did the trick!!! Thanks so much!!!

Can't help you with phpMyAdmin, but I will recommend SQLYog (free community version) instead, if all your looking for is a front end to your database. If you have other reasons and really need phpMyAdmin, then I apologize for trolling. :)

Thanks for the link!!! After all this work setting phpmyadmin up... I actually like SQLYog better.

Today I went to go to my phpMyAdmin and it gave me an error message, I googled the error and this thread was the first result. I figured out the fix for the error and it isn't here so I figured I would post it in case other people will find it useful. I think that is good enough reason for resurrecting this very old thread :)

The fix that worked for me was simply to recreate the session folder in my local temp directory. So, there should be the folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your name>\Local Settings\Temp\php\session

That's it. Hope it helps someone.