'Mile-wide UFO' spotted by British airline pilot

Fresh

'Mile-wide UFO' spotted by British airline pilot

One of the largest UFOs ever seen has been observed by the crew and passengers of an airliner over the Channel Islands.

An official air-miss report on the incident several weeks ago appears in Pilot magazine.

Aurigny Airlines captain Ray Bowyer, 50, flying close to Alderney first spotted the object, described as "a cigar-shaped brilliant white light".

As the plane got closer the captain viewed it through binoculars and said: "It was a very sharp, thin yellow object with a green area.

"It was 2,000ft up and stationary. I thought it was about 10 miles away, although I later realised it was approximately 40 miles from us. At first, I thought it was the size of a [boeing] 737.

"But it must have been much bigger because of how far away it was. It could have been as much as a mile wide."

Continuing his approach to Guernsey, Bowyer then spied a "second identical object further to the west".

He said: "It was exactly the same but looked smaller because it was further away. It was closer to Guernsey. I can't explain it. This was clearly visual for about nine minutes.

"I'm certainly not saying that it was something of another world. All I'm saying is that I have never seen anything like it before in all my years of flying."

The sightings were confirmed by passengers Kate and John Russell. John, 74, said: "I saw an orange light. It was like an elongated oval."

The sightings were also confirmed by an unnamed pilot with the Blue Islands airline.

The Civil Aviation Authority safety notice states that a Tri-Lander aircraft flying close to Alderney spotted the object.

"Certain parts of the report have not been published. I cannot say why," said a senior CAA source.

Earlier this year, however, the MOD declared its intentions to open its UFO files to the public.

Source

Dane

Very interesting.

Dujun

Picture or it didn't happen :p

Dane
Picture or it didn't happen :p

Actually there is a picture once you click the link. :p

Dujun
Actually there is a picture once you click the link. :p

Well, if you read the text for the image it says

Aurigny Airlines captain Ray Bowyer, 50, described what he thought to be a UFO as 'a cigar-shaped brilliant white light', similar to the image supplied by Dennis Plunket of the British Flying Saucer bureau
Dane
Well, if you read the text for the image it says

Oh oh, I didnt look at that part :blush: sorry.

WooSH

eh. the sun?

edit: oh if it was anything, the radars shouldve picked it up...wait, unless it was stationary but that still doesnt matter...

and wth were they doing 20,000 ft close to the surface which is approximately 3 miles above the surface. im pretty sure any observations or any studying their doing could be made waaay further than 3 miles. think of it this way. would YOU go three miles close the an unknown civilized planet before making all final confirmations? didnt think so.

atleast their saying it was just light and not, an alien aircraft.

.Markus
eh. the sun?

edit: oh if it was anything, the radars shouldve picked it up...wait, unless it was stationary but that still doesnt matter...

and wth were they doing 20,000 ft close to the surface which is approximately 3 miles above the surface. im pretty sure any observations or any studying their doing could be made waaay further than 3 miles. think of it this way. would YOU go three miles close the an unknown civilized planet before making all final confirmations? didnt think so.

atleast their saying it was just light and not, an alien aircraft.

The most intriguing aspect of it all, is that not only was it observed by the pilots and passengers in the first plane, but also by the pilot of a second aircraft. Depending on where this second aircraft was located in relation to the first one, an optical mirage could possibly be ruled out. Time of day and weather would be equally important.

Mr. Gibs

Its a mothership!!! We're all gonna be invaded NOOO!!!

--

Back to reality: Whoa thats pretty cool. Lol

Harlem39s Finest

"We've only got Blair to blame for this...

The aliens must have heard about the smoking ban so they've finally deemed it safe to invade England without having to worry about the deadly threat of second-hand smoke."

:D

JamesCherrill

Anyone here heard of lenticular clouds - large white cigar-shaped things that are often stationary?

Smigit

Yeah...so not one but two, mile wide things are floating in the sky. Not only that but they also happen to be approximatly 40 miles away. Tell me how we dont have people on the ground confirming this. The things would have been visible by god knows how many people. And its not like they were going anywhere fast, being visible for over 9 mins.

SacrificialSoldier

Well, As there is no such thing as aliens or life on other planets then we can be safe and assume that it's the government being themselves and making big huge plane things.

NJ Louch
As there is no such thing as aliens or life on other planets

According to whom exactly?

Isn't it a little arrogant to presume that in this apparently infinite universe, that we are the only populated planet?

martskre
Well, As there is no such thing as aliens or life on other planets [...]

How can you be so sure? :alien:

KoL
Well, As there is no such thing as aliens or life on other planets then we can be safe and assume that it's the government being themselves and making big huge plane things.

and how do you know there is no life in other planets???

Damo R.

You never know really what's beyond our solar system...but then again this reminds me of that tv show that was on a long time back "The Biggest UFO Hoax" or something like that, some bloke built a UFO and let it fly and so many people believed it...

troist

please quit with the religious bickering. if sacrificialsoldier believes in the bible then let him. arguing about how the bible is fiction etc is completely off-topic and has nothing to do with the news article posted.

back on-topic: anyone know what that possibly could be? i mean, its highly unlikely that aliens are going to have the technology to get all the way here and then just float in the sky...

BigDaddy5
back on-topic: anyone know what that possibly could be? i mean, its highly unlikely that aliens are going to have the technology to get all the way here and then just float in the sky...

Hypothetically...I mean we have all the technology to get to mars, yet we just gather rocks? Couldn't it be just a data gathering?

Edited by kinetix63
quick

There is an actual picture released finally taken out the airplane window, also a video of a news report showing the picture

YouTube Video Here

Original Image (It's in the lower left corner)

UFO.jpg

Close-up

guernsey.jpg

Sketch by pilot, seems to match the location of the darker area seen in the picture

bowyerdrawing2.jpg

Another sketch

ufo2L2206_468x247.jpg

Watch the new video above for more image enhancements...

Maybe someone can put the video link in the first post?

Thanks

Edited by quick
Samboini

In such a near infinite universe, I for one am a firm believer that there is other life out there. However the fact of whether or not it is intelligent is another matter entirely, but even some obscure bugs on a planet billions of light years away from us counts as E.T. life.

Edited by kinetix63
kinetix63

Thread Cleaned

Please don't go around de-railing topics. If you want to discuss religion and how it relates to UFO's please go and make a thread in RWI, don't go around de-railing discussion on a perfectly legitimate topic.

Damo R.

Thanks for posting the video :)

+StevoFC

I love it when everyone sees the word UFO and start spouting off about aliens...

UFO means nothing but an unidentified flying object...in no way does it necessarily mean that aliens are flying around.