Apple Announces iPhone Service Plans

wow those rates are kind of expensive... compared to unlimited voice plans we have here... also sms are expensive!... only apple!... :no:

An 80GB iPhone anyone? :laugh:

Yea I noticed that as well. :blink:

^^ you mean to say AT&T....

Yea, apple can do no wrong. Phone is so cheap.

wow those rates are kind of expensive... compared to unlimited voice plans we have here... also sms are expensive!... only apple!... :no:

Wow, educated response. First and foremost, Apple didn't determine these rates. Next, these are pretty standard rates in the US. This isn't anything special or more expensive for the iPhone.

dhan, you apparently completely missed the point. :rolleyes: Anything for a jab at Apple though, right?

Wow, educated response. First and foremost, Apple didn't determine these rates. Next, these are pretty standard rates in the US. This isn't anything special or more expensive for the iPhone.

dhan, you apparently completely missed the point. :rolleyes: Anything for a jab at Apple though, right?

I would say the rates are "special" for the iPhone.

Edit: I am such a Microsoft fanboy. I am jealous of apple. :wacko:

On a serious note:

I am tired of how people run to defend apple when somebody mentions even the smallest of bad things (even if inaccurate in this case)

I would say the rates are "special" for the iPhone.

Edit: I am such a Microsoft fanboy. I am jealous of apple. :wacko:

If by special you mean cheaper than AT&T's standard offerings for a very similar plan, then yes.

Oh, I'm sorry. The Vista logo in your avatar totally thew me off. Sorry. :huh:

Oh, and sorry for trying to educate somebody on how it actually worked out. I suppose you like it when FUD spreads around? It's not like you've never run to battle against misconceptions about Windows before. :wacko:

If by special you mean cheaper than AT&T's standard offerings for a very similar plan, then yes.

Oh, I'm sorry. The Vista logo in your avatar totally thew me off. Sorry. :huh:

Oh, and sorry for trying to educate somebody on how it actually worked out. I suppose you like it when FUD spreads around? It's not like you've never run to battle against misconceptions about Windows before. :wacko:

I think AT&T forces you to go PDA plans for other phones (blackberries and winmos) with similar features.

Don't go by my avtar logo. Are you against Master Chief and wanting to fight as a grunt in Halo3 ? :p

Baah. I agree I have done that and I still do that. But I do that on both sides. Although I see less and less positive about apple these days.

And we digress. Peace and let's stop this.

i checked their area map,, because i live outside of a 3G range, would i not be able to use the data portion of the iphone ?

I'm buying this as soon as I see it on the stores.

Edit: One question though, does this mean that current ATT customers ain't binded by the plans needed? I have a plan, but its none of those above, but for what I saw in the video, only new customers are binded by the above rates.

i checked their area map,, because i live outside of a 3G range, would i not be able to use the data portion of the iphone ?

iPhone doesn't have 3G anyway. You'll get EDGE data.

Even if they are standard prices for US networks, it still means the iPhone will be very expensive.

At the very least you have $500 for the phone (+ tax), $36 for the activation, and $60 x 24 for the actual contract. Thats $2000 (well 1976, bit with tax it will be over $2000) just for a phone. How many people will be prepared to pay that much?

Also, just wondering (As the phone market is pretty different over here), are there many phones out in the US that tie you into a 2 year contract? As here in the UK, most contracts are 1 year, with a few being 18 months, and I think I've only seen one or two for 2 year contracts (but the 18 month and two year contracts are nearly always at a cheaper monthly price than the 1 year contract)

Even if they are standard prices for US networks, it still means the iPhone will be very expensive.

At the very least you have $500 for the phone (+ tax), $36 for the activation, and $60 x 24 for the actual contract. Thats $2000 (well 1976, bit with tax it will be over $2000) just for a phone. How many people will be prepared to pay that much?

The plan cost will be same regardless of which phone you use. iPhone or not.

I wonder if the iPhone will be avaliable as Pay as you go when it hits the UK :)

-Rich-

Possibly. But the iPhone itself may cost a grand (for the 4GB model). :laugh:

The plan cost will be same regardless of which phone you use. iPhone or not.

I didn't say they plans would cost any different. Its just the 2 year contract and the initial $500 payment will mean its a lot more than IMO most people would be prepared to pay.

I'm buying this as soon as I see it on the stores.

Edit: One question though, does this mean that current ATT customers ain't binded by the plans needed? I have a plan, but its none of those above, but for what I saw in the video, only new customers are binded by the above rates.

Well, my question has been answered.

Existing customers still need to add the data piece of **** plan to their current plan:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

Guess I won't buy the iPhone then.

Why are people from other countries bitching about this? These are standard US rates. It's not like the iPhone will have the same plans when Apple launches in other countries.

Right now I pay $39.99 for 450 mins / unlimited NW + $19.99 for data + 500 SMS. For me, all I have to do is drop my data plan and add the iPhone plan.

Again, this is standard rates. I don't see how this is a rip off.

Why are people from other countries bitching about this? These are standard US rates. It's not like the iPhone will have the same plans when Apple launches in other countries.

Right now I pay $39.99 for 450 mins / unlimited NW + $19.99 for data + 500 SMS. For me, all I have to do is drop my data plan and add the iPhone plan.

Again, this is standard rates. I don't see how this is a rip off.

Actually, you're fine. Check the webpage at Apple.com that has the plans you need for the iPhone, since you're already a customer like me, all you need to do is add the data plan (but in your case, you already have it, so you're fine).

I understand the plans for new customers, but why me, that I have been through Cingular and now ATT, have to add a Data Plan that I will never use?

Now to think about it, it was a smart move for ATT to have the activation done through iTunes. Why? Because if you buy the iPhone from eBay or other store, you'll still need to activate it through iTunes to use it.

Either cough up the monthly fee or have fun with your $500/$600 paper weight.

Actually, you're fine. Check the webpage at Apple.com that has the plans you need for the iPhone, since you're already a customer like me, all you need to do is add the data plan (but in your case, you already have it, so you're fine).

I understand the plans for new customers, but why me, that I have been through Cingular and now ATT, have to add a Data Plan that I will never use?

Now to think about it, it was a smart move for ATT to have the activation done through iTunes. Why? Because if you buy the iPhone from eBay or other store, you'll still need to activate it through iTunes to use it.

Either cough up the monthly fee or have fun with your $500/$600 paper weight.

Yeah, I know. I still need to drop my data plan I think as it's one of the other data plans, not the iPhone one. But in either case, it's all good as I'm paying the same price.

I guess for those that want it without data they're a little bit screwed in that regard but I'm so used to having data wherever I go I can't live w/o it. EDGE in my region works pretty well... I usually get around 25-30 kilobytes per second which is reasonable. That's fine for me.

so this means i have to change my current family plan? hmmmm :huh:

why is the iPhone so special that they need their own plan... i dont think i'll get it anyway but just wondering

plans are subject to AT&T credit approval.

500 isnt enought of a credit check

and do you get full refund if not approved, since @ kiosk, you dont pay squat up front unless your approved

Actually, these plans are pretty inexpensive for us, especially with unlimited data. Then again, our networks are always behind the rest of the world.

If anyone's network is behind, it's us in Canada :p

You can't even find plans that offer anything remotely similar at that price range unless what you have is a retention plan which is what Fido gives to its customers who previously wanted to leave. The plans are customized and can be dead-cheap, but you gotta be careful cause you have to prove to them that the plans you're talking about from the competition do exist.

With that being said, is there hope for a device like an iPhone in Canada? **** no. All the carriers are incredibly greedy here when it comes to wireless internet.