Automatic Logon

Hi there,

Is there is setting in XP to automatically login a single user like in 2k, where it assumes the user to be the only user of the machine?? or is the only way using a tweak program like TweakUI?.

My login screen shows my account and the 2 guest accounts which i have created. Why show guest accounts in the login screen??

im currently using TweakUI to log me on but if the computer is reset it loses this setting which makes me logon next time i re-boot and also loses the sharing of drives and the net connection!? which really couldnt be more annoying!.

You mean like, you don't want the login, password prompt at start up? If so, enter your login and press 'OK' without entering a password, and Windows will never prompt you for the l/p again. That is, if the login that you put doesn't already have a password set.

Yeah i dont want the login screen to be displayed at all, i just want it to log me in!

my account doesnt have a password just a username, but because of the 2 guest accounts which have been created it will ask what user i want to login as!! even tho the guest accounts cant log in without freezing the comp!!:confused:

i have also had to disable the guest account because it just didnt work 9 times outta 10!!

Why don't you just delete the other 2 guests account if they aren't usable...

Then you will be able to log in without selecting the user, since the only user to the system is you.

i cant delete the 2 guest accounts because then the users of the other network machines will not be able to access my files or shared internet connection which i host. The so called guest account which ms have attempted to setup does not work! it will block them from using the net and only occasionaly will allow them to see my computer. The only way around it was to setup guest accounts like in 2k!.

Its not that it asks me to logon because ive used tweakUI to get around it, but i just would have thought someone at microsoft would have realised how pointless it is to ask a single user to logon when the other users are guests who have no rights. But then again after looking at the network setup it doesnt suprise me! i had to use computer management to set guest accounts in the first place! and then browse for the type of user they are!! WTF!!

And if i reset my system as apose to restart it loses all the shared drives and dirs!, looks like they got a long way to go with networking baby!!

cheers!!

AL

looks like they got a long way to go with networking baby!!
XP is still in 'BETA' right? So don't expect a perfect-working system, even if it's a full release it's still not perfect. Nothing is perfect, sad eh? Try send bug report to M$, hopefully they'll heard you and fix it.

no i did a clean install of the os

I understand what u mean, yeah its not the final, but its rc1 and is really feature complete bug fixes isnt it from now on?.

so i cant really see them changing the way in which the network is configured and users are handled within the os. I understand it isnt going to be no Win2k cos aimed more at home users, so its been badly watered down, but i am a home user and i appreciated the networking in 2k.

cheers for the posts any way guys! ill just hope they put the little tick box back in rc2.

AL

Their goal, in my understanding was to replace w2k with XP Server, and Win9x, ME with XP Home edit. I think they'll fix it in the later version.. I hope they will, why don't you send 'em a bug report?

Download Xteq Setup.

It has Windows NT/2K/XP under Network > Auto Login

It also states in the extra information Window

Please note also, that you can use the "Accounts and Passwords" applets inside Control Panel if you are using Windows 2000 or above to turn off the login window all togehter.

I assume 'above' means XP. You could look there?

xteq.com

Dave

Ok thanks alot for the link! i got it all working now cheers m8!

Ive sent them a report now! but im sure they wont understand what im saying! as u can see from the thread im still finding it hard to describe the problem!! :D

Thanks again

AL

• 3 years later...