• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Canon 18-55mm Replacement

saxondale.    15

Would everyone agree that the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS USM would be a good lens to replace the stock one which came with my 350D? This will simply be used for portraits, general people shots (holidays etc).

Cheers

jimeney    0

If you can make use of the difference in apetures, the standard lens is f3.4 I believe so not much of a difference really. Perhaps it might be worth consideing a f1.8 fixed aspect lens such as a 50mm you will achieve far greater shots and they are very multi purpose. Just my 2 pence :)

Budious    0

I agree with Jimeney, get a fixed 50mm which is perfect for portrait work and much less expensive. They are available in f1.8 for relatively cheap or f1.4 is a bit more pricey but either model will get great shots. The big aperature reduces the depth of field and blurs the background of your subject.

saxondale.    15

Thanks :) I was considering the 50mm fixed since it has a great aperture (great for gig photography) but i was reading up and looking at some images from the 17-55 and it definitely produces stunning photographs, compared to the stock, the sharpness and clarity is amazing

goodcase    5

Yup, i own the 50mm f1.8 for nikon. It cost me 189 canadian. And its one of the best lens' that ive owned. Its soo amazing and cheap. Defiantly pick one of those up.

Dallas    0

50mm 1.8 is great (its what I replaced the kit lens with) but it isn't super sharp at 1.8. the 17-55 2.8 isn't that much slower, but you will be hurting if you are inside of course. But I bet the 50 1.8 is sharper at 2.8 than the 18-55 2.8.

o0moonman0o    54

get the 17-55 f2.8 is if u use a 350d a 50mm on a 350d is hardly a proper lense for family vacation photos, it's a decent portrait lense though but on a crop camera, maybe most shots will be shoulders up. sometimes portraits are more than just filling the entire frame with someone's head. i would go 17-55 for sure if i use crop camera. i use the 24-70mm far more than my 85 mm f1.2L on my 5D. why? simply cuz the 24-70 is way more versatile. the focal length is very like comparing 17-55 to 50mm on a crop camera. and o i forgot to mention, IS is invaluable in low light situations.. u'll probably find much more keepers with IS than with a 50mm f1.4 in a low light situation.

moloko    186

I love the 50mm 1.8. It works great and makes you think of how to get that picture. I do like the 24-70 and think that will work for what you need like moonman said.

saxondale.    15

Hmmm

Could i get away with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM for indoor concert photography?

I'm trying to cover a general range of lenses and trying to find a solid middle/allround lens.

I have a Canon 10-22mm and Sigma 70-300mm at the moment.

o0moonman0o    54

17-55 IS should be ok for indoor concert photography provied that u can get close rite by the stage.

saxondale.    15

Price isn't really an issue but the Canon is pretty much the most i want to ideally spend. I'm going to wait a little bit till the price drops online. I normally get my lenses shipped from Hong Kong so the deals are pretty awesome, but at the moment, i think the company (digitalrev) i get stuff from will drop the prices down in the next few months. Plus, they cover the tax :)

sin-ergy    2

they cover the tax? how or why would they do that? o_O looks like and interesting website, digitlrev.com, right? prices seem pretty good. and you say they ship from hong kong? i'm always looking for the best deals when it comes to lenses and i've found buying from the states (i live in canada) saves me hundreds of dollars (even including duty, taxes and shipping) - the prices on here do seem somewhat better. i'd worry about shipping, especially coming from so far away. what's your experience so far?

saxondale.    15

DigitalRev are amazing. Some listings covers Tax/Vat, they're clearly marked as Vat Free etc in the listings. So not all are. I got my Canon 10-22mm from them, paid on Friday, arrived at my house on Monday, all the way from Hong Kong to England. 2 months past, DHL just sent me a VAT/Tax invoice for ?43. Sent DigitalRev an email, within 24hrs, they sent me a reply saying:

Thank you for your email.

Very often our customers can receive an invoice by the courier after the parcel had been received. Since you purchased our No VAT auction, we would gladly pay the VAT/customs for you. Please kindly send us a copy of the DHL invoice either by email (to xxxx@digitalrev.com) or fax (+44 (0)870 141 xxxx).

Once we received and verified the invoice, we will process the amount to be credited to your PayPal account: xxxxx@xxxx.xxx

Thank you and we hope to hear from you soon.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Akina Tse

Customer Service

www.digitalrev.com

Fantastic service i'd say. Make sure you get a No Vat etc listing, they're a little more expensive, very little, but definitely worth it. I have not used their shop yet, only their ebay shop, but they're all over ebay, hard to miss.

sin-ergy    2

Well the ebay store is out since they dont ship to Canada. They also don't accept CDN dollar (dammit we're almost 1:1 with the US dollar) - I hate paying that 2.5% on top of what the credit card company charges on exchange rates. Big rip-off. Oh well, I'll give this place a shot next time I'm looking for a lens :D Thanks for the info.

Kerm    51
Hmmm

Could i get away with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM for indoor concert photography?

I'm trying to cover a general range of lenses and trying to find a solid middle/allround lens.

I have a Canon 10-22mm and Sigma 70-300mm at the moment.

Well if you have wide angle covered you want a good mid range, the best 2 from Canon are the 24-70 F2.8L which i have, which is just astounding, and the 24-105 F4L IS, so it's IS or 2.8 out of those two, i went for 2.8. Both have hefty price tags though.

I'm pretty sure the 24-70 2.8L is EXACTLY what you want, and will be perfect for what you're after if you can afford it.

*Edit* DigitalRev rock. Spent ?2000 there whereas everywhere else it would have cost well over ?3K.

saxondale.    15

Kerm: How much did the 24-70 set you back if you don't mind me asking?

And yeah, after a little bit of research on the lens, it seems to be the best all round lens you can buy.

Kerm    51

Can't remember, think it was around ?750ish, i got it from DigitalRev on ebay, so whatever their price is.

International warrantys ftw.

It's so sharp throughout the whole range, even wide open at 2.8, no distortion, USM is seriously quick to lock on, etc, etc.

But it is heavy, it's a beast, if that might bother you.

o0moonman0o    54

i reread this post and noticed u use a eos350d which is a 1.6x crop camera.. unless u think u might upgrade to 1D series or full frame, i think the 17-55 IS is a way better choice for u than the 24-70 cuz the 24-70 is definitely not wide enough on a cropped body. sure u have a 10-22 but changing lens during something that happens instantly isn't ideal as u'll miss shots. and plus, the 17-55 is just like 24-70 with f2.8 but it also has IS. the 24-70 is really meant for full frame or 1.3x crops max.

saxondale.    15

mmm ok, back to the 17-55mm then. Will this be the same for a 30D?

sin-ergy    2

the 30d has the same crop factor as the rebel. 1.6x ... right? ;)

saxondale.    15

Any last opinions before i go for the 17-55mm?

Dallas    0
the 30d has the same crop factor as the rebel. 1.6x ... right? ;)

mhm they do

saxondale.    15

I have just purchased the Canon 24-70mm. I realised my wide angle covered quite a bit and the 17-55mm would be a little jump. I don't mind changing around the lenses, since i go out photographing specific things, so i know which lens to use prior to this...most of the time.