3 pictures of lightning I took tonight

It probably would have been easier to catch a nice shot if you used around 5 - 10 second exposure, because lightning is very fast, and so the light goes in and out under a second, so your only problem is to catch the lightning, which is why I'm guessing you had such long exposure, but less would come out better (then the ones that didn't turn out well). Just a tip :) But honestly these are some AWESOME shots!

It probably would have been easier to catch a nice shot if you used around 5 - 10 second exposure, because lightning is very fast, and so the light goes in and out under a second, so your only problem is to catch the lightning, which is why I'm guessing you had such long exposure, but less would come out better (then the ones that didn't turn out well). Just a tip :) But honestly these are some AWESOME shots!

Hey thanks for the suggestions and compliments! Later I found out that 15 second exposure is actually quite fit...Though I missed couple of good shots when the camera was processing for 30 seconds for each shot I took...I don't know a lot about photography. I just thought it would be fun to have some cool lightning shots, so I went out and did it, haha.

Thanks again!

I'd use between 10 and 15s... turn off the internal noise reduction of the camera - that will rid of the slowness between shots (assuming your using a DSLR)

:blink: and you were outside taking these pictures? you must really love storms

It was just outside of my house. But yes, I love storms. :laugh:

How do you take lightning pictures, long exposure? Burst?

Tripod, long exposure, and a lot of patience. :yes:

It's like fishing: you cast the bait over and over again, but once you get one, you are guaranteed to do it all over again! And that's what motivated me to sit through 2 hours of waiting and shooting.

Very cool.

I'd use between 10 and 15s... turn off the internal noise reduction of the camera - that will rid of the slowness between shots (assuming your using a DSLR)

DSLR? I don't think mine's a DSLR...

Here's the one I used:

569247-999.jpg

Panasonic Lumix FX-01 is what it's called.

Edited by Bei337

cool ones, nice pictures dude... i have a cool picture of lightning too, but i cant find it till now, i will post it when i find it:P

DSLRs would process those long exposures in seconds. I do 5 minute exposures on my D50 and it takes ~2 seconds to processes.

Way cool pictures!

I wish we had lightening where I live :/ I seriously haven't seen a true thunderstorm since 2000 when I went back east for vacation.

hope you don't mind, I borrowed the 2nd pic for my desktop ... that's sweet ...

I'll have to check out some of them on my camera ... I really need to do more hours at work, so I can get a better cam...

hope you don't mind, I borrowed the 2nd pic for my desktop ... that's sweet ...

Tell me if you need a higher resolution one. Original file is 2816 X 2112.