Microsoft to Spend $1 Billion to Fix Defective Xbox 360s

Brilliant :D

Another reason why 360 > PS3

My 360 warranty was about to get over and i was getting worried

Another reason why 360 > PS3

Right so your argument is, you rather have a longer warrenty period cause it breaks, than a machine that does not break. Cool stuff.

Right so your argument is, you rather have a longer warrenty period cause it breaks, than a machine that does not break. Cool stuff.

Well if it's gonna break, at least he's covered. Can't say the same about the PS3 though

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH what a bunch of dipsticks they are!

hey, here's two words for ya: product testing.

great going MS, three year warranty and refunds galore...spend all that money we pumped into the brand on stupid mistakes that could have been so easily avoided. but it's water under the bridge and so i guess they are trying...except have we got a true admission that they ****ed up?

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH what a bunch of dipsticks they are!

great going MS, three year warranty and refunds galore...spend all that money we pumped into the brand on stupid mistakes that could have been so easily avoided. but it's water under the bridge and so i guess they are trying...except have we got a true admission that they ****ed up?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Indeed. :rolleyes:

This is a very classy gesture by MS, and I feel a lot better knowing that if my 360 goes in the next 2 1/2 years (and I'm sure it will) that they will take care of it for me. However, it should never have gotten to this point. Hopefully they will learn thier lesson and spend more time on QC on thier next console. They should have weeded out these problems and fixed them before they ever released the 360. I think they should offer those of us that have had problems 2000 free Live Marketplace points in addition to the free console replacement. The free replacement is nice, but they need to make up for all the hasstle and frustration as well. We should never have to send them the console in the first place. It should work properly.

Excuse me, but what the **** do you want from them? They could've been like a lot of other companies out there and not even extended the 3 month warranty and you know what, they'd be raking in the money, which is what big corporations do best and usually put priority to first. You act like they don't wish they didn't have these problems. They know there's a problem, and they're doing a very generous thing by extending the warranty for us. There is no way MS can be put in bad light for making this move (what's done is done-you can't say that they should'nt've had these problems in the first place because there's nothing they can do about that anymore except for stopping it in future production).

I'm glad. I've had my 360 for a year and a half and I've just been waiting patiently for it to happen to me. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but at least I don't have to worry about it for a while.

-Spenser

Title is a bit misleading. It's not always the 3 red lights that break your system, my friend has his break out of warranty due to a GPU problem not displaying the picture. 3 years is good though, I just wish it was for more than just the 3 lights. I guess there are still uses for an extended warranty however.

Title is a bit misleading. It's not always the 3 red lights that break your system, my friend has his break out of warranty due to a GPU problem not displaying the picture. 3 years is good though, I just wish it was for more than just the 3 lights. I guess there are still uses for an extended warranty however.

Well, being that it is the most common problem, I think it's pretty good.

stifler, an apology and acknowledgment that mistakes were made is precisely what the **** i want from them. extending the warranty helps, but its passive. from MS, more accountability would have gone a long way. let us know what went wrong and why, and also how come loyal supporters who buy the games and get into constant arguments with Sony zealots need to be treated like this: waiting a week for a box to come in, having to replace their 360 five+ times...if this is truly a community then it should act the part.

i hope i'm wrong and they are getting ready to shed more light on the subject.

as you said, this has yet to happen to you. maybe that's why you're so vehemently on their side.

other companies...well, i don't know about that. but we have before us a typical case for a recall, except the industry apparently hasn't reached that kind of maturity.

Excuse me, but what the **** do you want from them? They could've been like a lot of other companies out there and not even extended the 3 month warranty and you know what, they'd be raking in the money, which is what big corporations do best and usually put priority to first. You act like they don't wish they didn't have these problems. They know there's a problem, and they're doing a very generous thing by extending the warranty for us. There is no way MS can be put in bad light for making this move (what's done is done-you can't say that they should'nt've had these problems in the first place because there's nothing they can do about that anymore except for stopping it in future production).

I'm glad. I've had my 360 for a year and a half and I've just been waiting patiently for it to happen to me. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but at least I don't have to worry about it for a while.

-Spenser

QFT

And asking more from MS is just ott, extra MSpoints on top of past repair expenses and a repaired/replaced console? You wouldn't even get a box out of Nintendo to send a console nevermind anything else! (fyi: just using as example not flaming)

yeah well take everything i said before and kick it up a notch...maybe i'm not reading this right but the new policy only covers the three red lights? that means people like me where the console died but no red lights appeared are not covered? great.

drunkn, asking for honesty isn't OTT.

yeah well take everything i said before and kick it up a notch...maybe i'm not reading this right but the new policy only covers the three red lights? that means people like me where the console died but no red lights appeared are not covered? great.

drunkn, asking for honesty isn't OTT.

I didn't say it wasn't, I said asking more from MS aka freebies was ott. Although I have to say, MS have came out before and admitted problems with the 360 in the past. Just never on a scale like this before. They extended warrantys for those who bought launch consoles to a year etc etc (which obviously doesn't cover everyone I know).

As Stifler said, at least they are doing something about it and you'd be pushed to find another top end company who'd do the same. Didn't see Sony do this with the huge amounts of broken PS2's. Basically you were stuffed and had to buy a new one (N)

personally i can do without the freebies. they're accepting responsibility but stopping short of the why's, how's and when's. not good enough from someone who wants to be the market leader.

sure there are examples of worse support and quality assurance, but we don't want to learn from them. my own dishonety can never be explained away by that of others etc.

EDIT: not to mention the fact that they're still playing the letter game by saying that only red lights trigger longer warranties, and that all other policies remain. what the heck does that mean?

personally i can do without the freebies. they're accepting responsibility but stopping short of the why's, how's and when's. not good enough from someone who wants to be the market leader.

It's still early and MS might give further information what causes the problems. From the interview Major Nelson did with Peter Moore yesterday, he said there wasn't one single factor. I can understand MS wanting to keep the info disclosed though, what good does it give the average gamer? :blink:

EDIT: not to mention the fact that they're still playing the letter game by saying that only red lights trigger longer warranties, and that all other policies remain. what the heck does that mean?

Contact support in a few days and ask about it? Nothing much us mere gamers can tell you on forums :p

Amazing news. Literally.

Now I wonder if this means that my extended warranty that I paid for will be extended even longer like when they made the last extension of a year?

i got an extended warranty from futureshop (best buy) that made it three years, i wonder how they are going to do it.

Oh poo.

I heard that launch consoles get one free repair, whether they're in the warranty period or not. Now if my Xbox dies within the 3-year period, I lose that freebie.

Great news for most people, but not as great for me.

I've had my 360 die on me 3 times in the past 6 months. I've only had to pay for one 360. I am glad that MS is extending this warranty to 3 years. Because honestly, if my Xbox would've died after its first year and we didn't have the 3-year extension, I would not buy another 360.... not until all the problems are sorted.

Yes, it has been a frustrating experience, but I am also glad MS is acknowledging it in some way and doing something about it.

Did anyone listen to the Conference call they had to their investors?

It seems they have also fixed the faults in manufacturing, so there should be a decline in this fault. also repairs are fixing this issue also with new engineering. Maybe this is also causing the delays in UK repair centers.

heh, this actually quite sad for Microsoft in terms of proving it's an actually quality product. I know this has turned a lot of my friends away from buying a 360 with the europe stuff and now this could be damaging in some way, but then again most 360 users seem persistent that it's still a quality product when they're on their second or more console so at least they can thank they have a strong user base.

Well the warranty obviously signals Microsoft found a fix that works (and as posted above, Microsoft has said as much already), since it basically would have just opened the door to have every 360 ever made to always be fixed free had it not been fixed.

stifler, an apology and acknowledgment that mistakes were made is precisely what the **** i want from them.

Listen to the end please.

-Spenser

I don't see how MS can be put in a good light.

We've suspected there was a wide spread problem, and this effectively proves it.

And its taken them a long time to admit to it.

Considering how much money MS is putting aside to solve this problem, this is a bloody recall.

I don't see how MS can be put in a good light.

We've suspected there was a wide spread problem, and this effectively proves it.

And its taken them a long time to admit to it.

Considering how much money MS is putting aside to solve this problem, this is a bloody recall.

The reason it took this long was they had to find a fix that worked for 90nm units, 65nm alone couldn't be the cure there were too many old units manufactured and not yet sold. It'd ultimately be useless to admit to a problem if you had no solution.

And yeah, this is obviously Microsoft's way to save what little face they have left and still 'recall' the systems without having to use that word.

To some extent I agree, there's no good light here. Though I can't say anything bad about a solution being found either.