Vista SP1 Beta 1 Released July 16th?

Think it'll be on Connect, openly?

dude...its a beta, when did they ever put beta's openly on update, if thats what you ment :p

cool, i have been waiting for it...

Dreamscene is beta. They say they are probably going to have it finished by this summer.
dream scene is nothing new, just a video played on your desktop.... dont know, actually i wonder how will they finish it ....
MS isnt "only" about money or else they would only do the least amount of work to be sellable.. They wouldnt make new features. They do actually care whether something works or not. Hense having a beta program at all.
hello, welcome to something called customer service, the fame they built and want to keep throught customer satisfaction, and the goodwill they put into each product they sell....

Not really sure how people can say its to early for it, considering that XP had SP1 within a year of its a release IIRC and I think win2k got its pretty early and NT4 certainly had it within a year or so.

Glad its going to fix the file transfer stuff, that really bugged my boss when he used it and was one of his major reasons for going back to XP and holding back our deployment of it until SP1 or the product was more mature

dude...its a beta, when did they ever put beta's openly on update, if thats what you ment :p

cool, i have been waiting for it...

Connect is microsoft's betaplace, so he didn't mean 'openly on update' :p

I see Mary Jo at AA meetings!! Im not sure you can believe everything we read!and another thing is Vista really ISNT that bad BE HONEST how many crashes have YOU had so far?? ERRRRRRRRR! Answer........... NONE Come on its pretty good I have no problems and the people that do have problesm BUY NEW HARDWARE you gotta meet the specs before you can complain

I see Mary Jo at AA meetings!!

Errrr, you must be getting this Mary Jo confused with some other Mary Jo. This Mary Jo definitely does not drink! :o

Is there anything to get excited about in this SP1, any additional features to speak of or just work done under the hood?

Edit

Just read this

Microsoft is expected to emphasize that SP1 is more about fixes than new features. Most of the elements of SP1 are expected to enhance or supplement features that are already part of Vista, sources said.
Edited by mshepp

Yes mshepp. This is going to be a worthwhile SP. You will "definitely" want to get this when it comes out. There will be an update to the Kernel. Something they've never updated in an service pack before. As well as over 200 updates *supposedly* that hasnt gone through testing yet. Which they will use the Beta to do. As well as, im sure a new feature or two.

Sweet, hopefully this can fix some of the bugs many people have been having. And I really hope they improve the speed of the defragmenter, It takes me over and hour everytime, whereas the XP one never took longer than 15 minutes.

Got to admit now people have mentioned it, i ve never had a single crash in Vista. I have had the odd application not responding but Vista sorted out really quickly. Im really pleased and am not really bothered when Sp1 comes.. for me vista is perfect.

Got to admit now people have mentioned it, i ve never had a single crash in Vista. I have had the odd application not responding but Vista sorted out really quickly. Im really pleased and am not really bothered when Sp1 comes.. for me vista is perfect.

100 percent agree. Every system I have is running vista and have been so much more stable since I've moved from XP. Bring on sp1, which as I recall will be very similar to xp sp1 with more or less fixes. Sp2 brought the major updates and features...so now let the Vista SP2 talk begin...

"I won't upgrade til SP2 comes out" I can hear it now!!! Just kidding.

100 percent agree. Every system I have is running vista and have been so much more stable since I've moved from XP. Bring on sp1, which as I recall will be very similar to xp sp1 with more or less fixes. Sp2 brought the major updates and features...so now let the Vista SP2 talk begin...

"I won't upgrade til SP2 comes out" I can hear it now!!! Just kidding.

agree also. i've installed on 5 diff systems (ranging from brand new builds to older comps) and i've had absolutely no issues. it screams compared to XP for me!

well I've got a blue screen before going to Windows once a while, but I (positivell) think that one of the drivers are causing this (sound or video)

The Kernel may have been updated, but as of the June CTP of Server 2008, the Kernel is still NT6.0. Same as Vista, not NT6.1 as some on the Internet have said.

RTM build of Windows Server 2008 will be 6.1 and perhaps a few builds released to technical beta testers right before RTM.BTW some TAP users already have a few builds with the updated kernel. :)

I see Mary Jo at AA meetings!! Im not sure you can believe everything we read!and another thing is Vista really ISNT that bad BE HONEST how many crashes have YOU had so far?? ERRRRRRRRR! Answer........... NONE Come on its pretty good I have no problems and the people that do have problesm BUY NEW HARDWARE you gotta meet the specs before you can complain
Wow, another newbie who thinks he is GOD! When will they ever learn?
I didn't test the beta of XP SP2, so I'm hoping someone might remember. Was it possible to install SP2 RTM over the SP2 beta?Just wanna know if when this comes out if I'll gimp my Vista installation using a beta SP2.
That's never a good idea, ever! Why people want to do something like this is beyond me.If you wish to test so badly test in VM and then install RTM on your real system. No real reason to test on your real PC.Just asking for trouble. But yes anything is possible! And almost always never truly supported. Try to get tech support after doing something like that. Good luck!
If all they do is upgrade the kernel and fix the file transfer speeds, I'll be happy :)
Yes that would be nice. But also what about singed working drivers and full EAX support for creative drivers. For free, not $10. Damn creative. Really should bring a class action law suit against them for this one.How about fixing issues with Windows Mail. It takes up to 10 seconds to open the new mail window when windows mail is not open. Some users have it even worse...I can name so many issues that need fixing and most likely will never be fixed.. :(
sweet they skip XP SP3 for this.Way to go MS.
Windows XP SP3 is still on schedule for release in 2008.

That's never a good idea, ever! Why people want to do something like this is beyond me.If you wish to test so badly test in VM and then install RTM on your real system. No real reason to test on your real PC.Just asking for trouble. But yes anything is possible! And almost always never truly supported. Try to get tech support after doing something like that. Good luck!

Sod off, I said nothing about testing. The fixes to "non-critical" problems are what I'm after. Fixes to GUI and functionality. There's no tech support on an OEM version anyway.

sweet they skip XP SP3 for this.

Way to go MS.

What makes you think they've done that? Microsoft DO employ more than one or two programmers you know...

The XP SP3 team are NOT the same programmers as the Vista SP1 team.

RTM build of Windows Server 2008 will be 6.1 and perhaps a few builds released to technical beta testers right before RTM.BTW some TAP users already have a few builds with the updated kernel.

Thank you for the update. I have access to builds of Server 2008 as they are released (TechNet), but I don't have access to the Server 2008 Newsgroups on Connect. So I have to rely on the Server Team Blog for news.