FA Premier League Thread

FA Premier League 2007/08  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the FA Premier League 2007/08?

• Arsenal
    • Blackburn Rovers
    • Bolton Wanderers
    • Chelsea
    • Liverpool
    • Manchester United
    • Newcastle United
    • Portsmouth
    • Tottenham Hotspur
    • Other
  2. 2. Who be relegated from the FA Premier League 2007/08 (select 3)?

• Aston Villa
    • Birmingham City
    • Derby County
    • Everton
    • Fulham
    • Middlesbrough
    • Reading
    • Sunderland
    • Wigan Athletic
    • Other
  3. 3. Who will be top scorer in the FA Premier League 2007/08?

• Benni McCarthy
    • Carlos Tevez
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Didier Drogba
    • Dimitar Berbatov
    • Fernando Torres
    • Michael Owen
    • Wayne Rooney
    • Yakubu Aiyegbeni
    • Other

4-0 again :laugh:

I actually won money today as well!, ?50 I had a bet with a Spurs fan that they would win 4-0:pp

I have no excuses really with the performance I mean Paris Hilton could do a better job and she does suck!

Curbs has to go!

Curbs has to go? What the hell was he doing there in the first place is what I'd like to know! I said it before and I'll say it again, 15 years at Charlton and damn he really lit the football world on fire! [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

I have no excuses really with the performance I mean Paris Hilton could do a better job and she does suck!

Quite literally! :p

Curbs has to go? What the hell was he doing there in the first place is what I'd like to know! I said it before and I'll say it again, 15 years at Charlton and damn he really lit the football world on fire! [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

Quite literally! :p

Yeah I have to say I would of preferred a european manager but I still think at the time he was the right choice but now he seems to rotate more then Rafa on a good day :p

Curbs did well at Charlton, he built them up and brought them up the divisions. He regularly finished with Charlton in the top ten, and the season after he left Charlton got relegated.

He is a good manager and is not doing that bad at West Ham, ok West Ham are in really poor form at the moment but they will turn it around soon once they win a few games and the confidence comes back. Honestly, what are West Ham fan's expecting?

Curbs did well at Charlton, he built them up and brought them up the divisions. He regularly finished with Charlton in the top ten, and the season after he left Charlton got relegated.

He is a good manager and is not doing that bad at West Ham, ok West Ham are in really poor form at the moment but they will turn it around soon once they win a few games and the confidence comes back. Honestly, what are West Ham fan's expecting?

Where we are in the table at least an attempt to break into the top 6 but thats been put to rest now thats never gonna happen.

Yes, he did manage to bring them up, only to go straight down again that season. Up again and they survived. However, he's always been that lower team manager and frankly put in the last few seasons West Ham have brought in some players who think they are the best in the world. We need a no nonsense manager who can control those "Baby Bentley" mentalities. Curbs just always comes off as too soft.

As for what are we expecting... We have the money and a decent squad. A decent cup run in at least the Carling Cup and maybe UEFA Cup spot is a fair enough expectation IMO. 4-0 defeats 3 games in a row is just not acceptable. No matter who the opposition!

newcastle in disguise?

anyway! i hope the Geordies go down, they need a kick up the arse,

weirdly, although Boro lost, i can see them beating arsenal again next weekend, and im sure West Ham will turn it around and grind out a few 1-0 wins, or a few draws. However, i can't see Newcastle with their shambolic defence even getting any draws lately, the last time i watched Newcastle and they were a threat was the 2-2 draw with Middlesbrough, where they scored 5 but had 3 offside lol.

25 this season for Torres. In his FIRST season, yet Ronaldo is getting all the applause, git!

as much as this pains me to say this but Ronaldo has been on fire all season. Torres is a natural striker so it would be expected for him to bag 25 goals a season. Ronaldo who is a winger should be there to set up goals and pop up with 5-10 a season, not 30 as he has done this season. He will be PFA player of the year.

yeah i just hate Ronaldo so any excuse really haha. However, i don't think it was expected Torres to get 20+ goals in his FIRST season in English football, and over the years, we've seen alot more Midfielders get goals in the 15's+ started with Lampard and Gerrard, and now moving on with Ronaldo, so its pretty expected the way the top 4 play football. I mean, Fabregas was on fire earlier in the season, far better from Ronaldo.

Yes..bitter hate towards Ronaldo still flows through my veins, that and being a Liverpool fan i'd rather have Fabregas win PFA than him haha.

If we (Newcastle) are relegated, then we are royally screwed.

Leeds United anyone?

I highly doubt Newcastle will go down but who knows.

If Newcastle get relegated it might be a blessing in disguise for them, it is probably the only thing that will sort there club out.

As for the wanking over Ronaldo, he has scored a lot of penalties this season and freekicks, whereas Torres have all been from open play (and Ronaldo has played more minutes). Anyway, Ronaldo plays more of a wider second striker than a winger...or at least he does when I have watched him play.

yeah i just hate Ronaldo so any excuse really haha. However, i don't think it was expected Torres to get 20+ goals in his FIRST season in English football, and over the years, we've seen alot more Midfielders get goals in the 15's+ started with Lampard and Gerrard, and now moving on with Ronaldo, so its pretty expected the way the top 4 play football. I mean, Fabregas was on fire earlier in the season, far better from Ronaldo.

Yes..bitter hate towards Ronaldo still flows through my veins, that and being a Liverpool fan i'd rather have Fabregas win PFA than him haha.

You weren't a closet scummer before they went down were you?

Sad to see a Fareham lad liking any other team than Pompey tbh :p

good game by the reds the othere day... and torres keeps scoring :)

We've won a few games in a row now and we are in good form. Do you still hate Rafa?

Anyway, lets hope we can finish Inter at the San Siro tomorrow.

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks has ended negotiations with Dubai International Capital (DIC) over acquiring a 49% stake in the club.

DIC had earlier announced it was in advanced talks to buy a stake in the Anfield side.

But, in a statement on the Liverpool website, Hicks said: "I have decided to terminate further discussions with DIC.

"I and my colleagues will continue to explore a number of other options with regard to the ownership of the club."

Hicks added: "DIC made it clear that if they invested in the club, they would want it to be managed by committee.

"Based on my thirteen years of successful experience as an owner of professional sports teams, and based in particular on the situation at Liverpool Football Club over the past year, it is clear to me that such a committee approach would not be in the best interest of Kop, of the club or of the club's loyal and passionate supporters.

"The aim is to achieve an appropriate ownership, financial and organizational structure for Kop and the club over the long term."

DIC had said it would be open to a power-sharing agreement with one of the club's American owners Tom Hicks.

The investment group's lead negotiator Amanda Staveley said the firm would be "prepared to accept a 49% shareholding in Liverpool FC".

Hicks and fellow American George Gillett took control in a deal worth ?218.9m in February 2007.

But their own relationship has broken down and the pair - Hicks in particular - have been the target for strong criticism from supporters.

It is believed Gillett is willing to sell but the situation is further complicated by an agreement between him and Hicks that means one cannot sell his share without the agreement of the other.

That just shows how wrong for Liverpool, Tom Hicks actually is. He releases this statement when thing's where looking up the day before the most important match of our season. What a ######.

West Ham manager Alan Curbishley has received the backing of his board following three successive 4-0 defeats.

The Hammers sit in 10th position in the Premier League after heavy losses to Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham.

"The board of West Ham recognise that recent results have been disappointing and frustrating for everyone connected to the club," a statement said.

"However, there is no question of Alan Curbishley's future as manager being called into doubt."

West Ham's squad has been hit by a series of injuries this season but the recent run of poor results have brought Curbishley's management style under scrutiny.

The statement added: "Alan, his staff and the players have done well to put the club into the top half of the table, despite a massive injury list, and they have the full support of the board.

"Of course, there are challenges to be met and further improvements needed to keep the club moving forward.

"The board will work with Alan to ensure that the progress we have made is maintained and built on to deliver success and long-term stability for West Ham."

Backing from the board is the last step before sacking its usually like 1 game and thats it.

Liverpool's co-owner Tom Hicks tonight threw the future of the club back into turmoil by terminating discussions with the Dubai royal family.

In a shock move, the Texan business tycoon broke off talks with Dubai International Capital (DIC), who had been confident of sewing up a deal to buy out 49% of co-owner George Gillett's 50% stake.

Hicks had to give the go-ahead for that move - but instead he has exercised his right of veto, saying he was unwilling to manage the club with DIC 'by committee'.

DIC said they had no comment to make, but sources close to the deal believe Hicks' statement does not necessarily mean the end of the story and the investment arm of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai, could yet clinch a stake in the club.

Hicks' statement read: 'Based on a meeting held earlier today in Dubai between my representatives and officials of Dubai International Capital LLC, as well as other recent contacts between us and them, I have decided to terminate any further discussions with DIC regarding their possible purchase of a minority stake in Kop and, in turn, in the club.

'DIC made it clear that if they invested in the club, they would want it to be managed by committee

Also... how does the backing of the board mean sacking in a another few games?

Also... how does the backing of the board mean sacking in a another few games?

It is just the way it seems to work in English football. Quite often, if a team is achieving poor results the board will come out and back the team, but often soon after they will be sacked (because football moves so quickly). It is also commonly known as "the dreaded vote of confidence".

I don't think Curbs will be sacked though...unless they want to hire Steve McClaren ;)