• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

FA Premier League Thread

FA Premier League 2007/08  

333 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

rajputwarrior    280
Another win, and goal number 30 of the season for Torres :D

Most likely, but I hope not! Come on Arsenal!

he is unbeleivable, and wow, even veronin scored... and atta boy stevie, continue your hot streak :)

Unto Darkness    0
he is unbeleivable, and wow, even veronin scored... and atta boy stevie, continue your hot streak :)

Huh? I thought it was, Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt?

sharpy2k4    10

nah it was Voronin...somehow he scored a tap in from 2 yards.

rajputwarrior    280

miracles happen...

anyways read this from football365 (i love that site)

Follow Arsenal's Defeat At Old Trafford Right Here

It's all over for Arsenal. Arsene Wenger says they have to win at Old Trafford this afternoon if they are to stay in the title race but it's a 99% certainty that they will lose after Wenger named a team that includes Emmanuel Eboue, Gilberto Silva wandering around in the centre of midfield, and, wait for it, Alex Song. You can follow the action live on our tracker or on the forum's match thread...

this was there before the game started and while its going on... :laugh:

Farstrider    298

Man Utd 0-1 Arsenal...... To quick for me!!! Man Utd 1-1 Arsenal 54 th min!

rajputwarrior    280

2-1 now, its over... best two weeks ever for arsenal...

Mike    89

bye bye arsenal :D

Kev1n    1

failure to take our chances + some horrible luck/red decisions = our season

Martyn    5

Did you see his celebration? It was awesome!

Grimace, hobble, grimace, hop, hobble!

2-1 now, its over... best two weeks ever for arsenal...

I desperately wanted Arsenal to win, I could not bare to see Man Utd win the title.

I watched the game and Arsenal played quite well, and largely outplayed Man Utd. The trouble with Arsenal is that although they are really great going forward, they need 10 chances to score a goal, whereas Man Utd only need 1 or 2 chances, which is why Man Utd won today.

Adebayor missed a hatful of chances yet again.

Any money though, Wenger did not see Adebayor's "hand of God" goal, or Gallas handball for the penalty ;). Selective myopia!

User6060    351

WOW I thought that Manchester United, Arsenal match up was really exciting, I love waking up to find great football on tv. I'm usually not awake in time for the good matches.

Hargreaves is my boy, plus he's Canadian (Y)

rajputwarrior    280
WOW I thought that Manchester United, Arsenal match up was really exciting, I love waking up to find great football on tv. I'm usually not awake in time for the good matches.

Hargreaves is my boy, plus he's Canadian (Y)

i loved it when he was the only one to score in the penalty kicks for england in the world cup ... and he is canadian...

sn00pie    2

That was a brilliant kick, I was watching Ronaldo and expecting him to take the kick, but Hargreaves took an amazing shot! Great game!

Go Man U!

shadowless911    0

Arsenal...What kind of a jinx spell is that ? lol

metallithrax    522

So, Rajput, Martyn etc (i.e. Liverpool fans) - When are they gonna get their act together and finally win this ****ing league? Liverpool have been my fave team for over 25 years, but since the premier league started, they always seem to underperform, especially against the smaller teams. On a sort of related note, here are some new badges my mate has on his market stall (forgive the ****ty quality, it looked better on the cameras screen):

rajputwarrior    280
Did you see his celebration? It was awesome!

Grimace, hobble, grimace, hop, hobble!

I desperately wanted Arsenal to win, I could not bare to see Man Utd win the title.

I watched the game and Arsenal played quite well, and largely outplayed Man Utd. The trouble with Arsenal is that although they are really great going forward, they need 10 chances to score a goal, whereas Man Utd only need 1 or 2 chances, which is why Man Utd won today.

Adebayor missed a hatful of chances yet again.

Any money though, Wenger did not see Adebayor's "hand of God" goal, or Gallas handball for the penalty ;). Selective myopia!

good for veronin, honestly, i hate on him a lot, but it was good to see him get one in, he deserves it.

Now for arsenal winning, yeah as a liverpool fan you never wanna see Man U win, but it was kinda nice to see arsenals season go down in flames...

So, Rajput, Martyn etc (i.e. Liverpool fans) - When are they gonna get their act together and finally win this ****ing league? Liverpool have been my fave team for over 25 years, but since the premier league started, they always seem to underperform, especially against the smaller teams. On a sort of related note, here are some new badges my mate has on his market stall (forgive the ****ty quality, it looked better on the cameras screen):

i blame rafa, that is why i think they will never win england. I personally think he doesn't know who to start and who not too. He has this obsession with some players and refuses to start other most of the time (like crouch which for the life of me i will never understand why he hates him). But then theres europe, which we are the kings of (overall), and then that blows that theory out of the water. I personally don't think rafa is an EPL coach, that is me, and i hate who he starts 90 percent of the time.

Now martyns turn (cause he is going to have a completely different theory then me because he loves rafa)...

sharpy2k4    10

^^ haha, well if you look lately, Rafa hasn't really been rotating the team as much and he's learnt since earlier in the season that Torres needs to start every game, this weekend against Fulham will be interesting to see, what with the Champions league game coming up, i wonder if he'll play Torres for the whole game or not, and see how we perform, more than likely if Torres and Gerrard aren't on then we'll be really bad and create no chances, but hey, i don't mind.

As much as i'd like to see us win the Premier League, it'd make me year!!! I'd gladly settle for the Champions league by beating the best teams in Europe! Afterall, Arsenal and Chelsea haven't won anything this season so its all good:P

Damo R.    29,658

I heard that Rafa wants to talk to the board because theres stuff about the board talking to Klinnsman again about the managers job, dunno why they don't stop!

sundayx    127

Hargreaves (._.")

abob    0

I personally think Benitez is a "cup coach" or a "Season saviour", hes great in the short term but seems too have an inability to keep a normal squad playing to their capacity over a long haul.

Weve seen managers like this before even English managers who do well abroad in a shorter season but look quite inept over a full English season.

Speculating further, I think its a case of not being able to manage the same squad of players, It would be very interesting to see his managerial record with January signings against no January signings, just to see if his teams record a higher league placing after making signings (I think he would be).

I think this also explains why Liverpool are always able to lay down great performances in Europe in the latter stages of the competition since a 2 legged tie can be looked at as something entirely different to league or even single legged knockout ties.

Martyn    5

I would say the fact that Rafa has won La Liga twice ahead of the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid opposes the argument that he is only a cup coach.

Rafa struggled in the league at first. He was a manager in a new culture and learning a new language, and he inherited a pretty **** squad. I think he was guilty of trying to be to tactical, the Premier League is less tactical than the Champions League (were we seem to fluorish), but I think he has learned his lesson in his first few seasons at Liverpool, and since then we have done well in the league. Only the other season, I think we broke our record for the amount of points we had achieved in the Premier League, and in any other season that would have been enough to secure the title, but it is just the fact that the other title challengers are so strong and raised the bar even further.

The last two seasons we have finished in third place, ahead of Arsenal, who everyone seems to cream their kecks over. This season we have lost the same amount of games as Man Utd, so that makes it fairly obvious that the reason we have struggled this season is through drawing needless games.

I think the reason we have not won the league for so long is that we fell so far behind in the '90's, and the squad strength required to win the league is a lot more than it was ten years ago. The Man Utd team of 2008 would easily beat the Man Utd team of 1998 in my opinion. Benitez inherited a squad with the likes of Traore, Murphy, Smicer, Biscan, Diao and Diouf when he took over at Liverpool, and most of our squad was poor (Hyypia, Carragher and Gerrard being the only players that would get into todays starting XI). However, Benitez worked wonders with that squad by winning the Champions League, and since then he has been building his own squad. If you look at the core of our squad now (Reina, Finnan, Aurelio, Carragher, Agger, Mascherano, Alonso, Babel, Kuyt, Gerrard and Torres), and compare it the core of our squad a few years back (Dudek, Finnan, Riise, Henchoz, Hyypia, Murphy, Smicer, Gerrard, Kewell, Baros, Cisse)...anyone can see that we have improved a lot.

This season we should have done better league wise, but we were doing quite well at the beginning of the season, and when the whole "off the field" controversy happened (and it is still going on) we fell to bits. Hopefully, we can sort out the turmoil going on at the club during the summer, improve our squad yet again, and then have another go at the league.

sharpy2k4    10

swear martyn earlier in the saeson you've stated all that! reading it was like deja vue, or it could have been parts of it (like the core team) was brought up on a different subject!!

I'm just looking forward to the summer (after winning champs league of course :p) to see who we sign and get rid of (Voronin!!!)

Martyn    5
swear martyn earlier in the saeson you've stated all that! reading it was like deja vue, or it could have been parts of it (like the core team) was brought up on a different subject!!

I'm just looking forward to the summer (after winning champs league of course :p) to see who we sign and get rid of (Voronin!!!)

Yeah, I posted a few months back about the core of the team and all that. The question posed was largely the same though. I should have just copied and pasted and saved myself some time :p

Shibby    1

I think the only problem with liverpool is the board.

Liverpool are just another team like arsenal, chelsea and man utd. Nothing more or less, it's all how the team play for that match.

No doubt one day Liverpool will be within reach of the league, but come one even arsenal have just fell over and chelsea problems are with the board, who want control over everything.

Can we just not accept that?

Damo R.    29,658
Liverpool striker Fernando Torres believes that the Primera Liga is stronger than the Premier League.

Three English teams have reached the semi-finals of this season's UEFA Champions League, but Torres insists that the Spanish top-flight is the best in Europe.

Torres joined Liverpool last summer from Atletico Madrid and has made a blistering start to life in England as he notched his 30th goal in all competitions in the Reds' 3-1 win over Blackburn on Sunday.

And Torres has hinted that he has found it easy to acclimatise to his career in England, when compared to his days in Spain.

Strong

"In England the top four are better than the ones in Spain, above all when it comes to consistency," Torres told Radio Marca.

"Apart from that, the rest of the teams in the Primera Liga are stronger as they have more quality."

Torres has also admitted that he is enjoying the patience afforded by English supporters.

"The fans aren't on top of you all the time here, they give you time, they get behind you but don't suffocate you. I'm very happy here," Torres added.

Barcelona ambition

And the Spanish international has also indicated that he would rather face Barcelona in the final of this season's Champions League, than meet domestic rivals Manchester United.

Liverpool take on Chelsea in their semi-final, with the first leg at Anfield on 22nd April, while United are due to face Barcelona and Torres is in no doubt over who he would rather face in the final in Moscow.

"The people here (in England) would prefer to face Manchester United, but I think it would be great to take on Barcelona," Torres concluded.

rajputwarrior    280

^ i do not agree with that at all, EPL is the best league in the world...