Buying new HDTV, need recommendations

Yes, like many others on the site, I'm starting a TV recommendation thread, despite how little attention and posts these types of threads actually receive. :laugh: If only a few people respond I suppose I can visit avsforum.

Basically, my budget is $ 1500 and I want a TV capable of 1080p over component and HDMI. It will double as a computer monitor so I don't need anyone telling me 1080p will not matter since my budget will only allow certain sizes.

Size wise I'm aiming for at least 37" and I will only be spending my money if I can find a TV within my price range that has 1080p. I don't want to have to buy another monitor/ TV in less than a year.

And for those who are curious, I'm probably buying the TV at Wal Mart simply because lately they are offering the same models as Best Buy and Circuit City, especially the Samsung sets that I have been looking at.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.

Just a quick note I'd point out to you immediatley, you're going to have a hard time finding a TV that does 1080p natively that is 37" to start with. Generally, 42" upwards would be a safer bet.

Yeah I know my 1080p options are limited but I figured someone here might have a recommendation. My choices will be even further slimmed down because I want a TV that does 1080p over component and HDMI

We all know some Westinghouses do 1080p from 37"-42" but I'm leaning towards a Samsung right now.

Found a nice Samsung 37" and a nice Samsung 40" that do 720p and they look great.

I'm thinking about going out and buying the new set tonight so recommendations any minute now would be nice.

What Samsung are you looking at? It seems as though you've decided to go with 720p, instead. In the 37" range, both Samsung and LG have LCD's that are worth checking out. JVC may have a good set there too, but I'm basing that off of their sets from last year and not modern models.

I actually don't care for it much. The picture just seems "off" to me. I prefer the 4065 with the glossy screen. It just seems to have a more accurate color reproduction.

I've decided to go with the LNT4061F.

Freaking awesome set and lots of people at avsforum like it.

Wait... people there actually liked something? Every time i go there those people seem to complain and find a problem with everything. Then when the one single person's set does have a problem you see them telling other people not to touch that tv because they heard bad things about it from everyone, even though it was one isolated problem.

I don't know what the calibration settings were on the set you looked at but the PQ on the 4061 is excellent. The 4061 and 4065 are virtually identical. xx65 has a glossy screen and a slightly better dynamic contrast ratio. We all know how much that really means. xx65 touts 10 bit processing to the xx61's 8 bit processing but it doesn't really change anything. Not that big a difference really.

Avsforum is definitely something else. I don't mind people being picky as long as it serves me well. :laugh:

I don't know what the calibration settings were on the set you looked at but the PQ on the 4061 is excellent. The 4061 and 4065 are virtually identical. xx65 has a glossy screen and a slightly better dynamic contrast ratio. We all know how much that really means. xx65 touts 10 bit processing to the xx61's 8 bit processing but it doesn't really change anything. Not that big a difference really.

Avsforum is definitely something else. I don't mind people being picky as long as it serves me well. :laugh:

I've seen the sets side by side. After toying with both sets, I still found the 65 noticeably better.

And yeah, I don't trust AVS forums. There are some very knowledeable people there and if you need help with existing hardware, you're in great shape. However, too many people on that site base their opinions on TV's based on cost and not performance. I guess some people need to justify their purchase, but when I saw someone announcing how a Maxent plasma stands up to a Pioneer, I knew something was off.

Everyone's experience and opinion will vary. I would grab the 4065F but it's just a bit out of my price range. And I decided that if I'm going to stretch my budget, I might as well wait a bit longer for 71s and 81s, which I don't want to do, or grab a 46"+. Plus I don't think the glossy screen would work well where I'm putting it.

I'll probably order the 4061F over the weekend, see how I like it and decide if it's a keeper. Worst comes to worst, I return it and wait it out a bit longer for something else.

Thanks Kerm but I decided to stay away from plasma for now.

Ok, one other set you should check out, though. The Toshiba 42HL167. I have seen the 47" version of the set and with it right next to a Sony KDL-46xbr2 and a Samsung 4065, it held it's own very very well. It's probably the first Toshiba television to ever catch my eye.

Yes I second what bangbang said. I picked up a 42HL167 yesterday. I'm still tweaking the picture around. But man for the quality and what it can do with all my devices I'm more then happy.

Little note though you'll need the hdmi cable for 1080p. It wont do it over component for the xbox360, PS3, DVD upscaling and such.

I'll probably get an HDMI equipped 360 in a few months but for now I'm keeping my current 360 so I need 1080p over component. That's another reason I'm sticking with the 4061F.

I'm not worried about overscan because I already have quite a bit of that on my current TV so judging what I've heard from current 4061F owners, even if I do get overscan over component with my 360, it'll probably be an improvement. :laugh:

What exactly do you NEED 1080p over component for? There are hardly any games that are in actually in1080p, and DVD's can only be upscaled to 1080p over VGA. You didnt buy into the whole "1080p is a necessity" thing did you?

I have a few sources that run 1080p over component and I'm not spending money on upgrading them to another input format just for the sake of upgrading.

Plus, I don't want to buy a VGA cable when I'm just going to get an HDMI 360 in a few months.