Wrecking ball snaps loose, bounces down street

MEADVILLE, Pa. - A 1,500-pound wrecking ball broke loose from a crane cable and raced downhill, smashing into several cars and injuring three people before coming to rest in the trunk of a car at an intersection Monday.

The wrecking ball, about 3 feet across, was being used to demolish part of a library at Allegheny College when the cable snapped, police said. The crane operator tried to stop it, but it rolled nearly three-quarters of a mile downhill, damaging more than a dozen vehicles as it bounced from curb to curb, police said.

post-37120-1184095499.jpg

Most of the damaged vehicles were parked, but the ball slammed into the rear of Alex Habay?s car stopped at an intersection, causing a chain reaction accident with two other cars at the traffic light, police said.

?All of a sudden, the back windshield exploded and I hit the car in front of me,? said Habay, 20, a junior at Allegheny College.

The ball lodged in the trunk of a car, pushing the vehicle about 20 feet.

?I got out of my car and couldn?t believe it when I walked back and saw this giant wrecking ball sitting in the trunk of the last car,? said Meadville police Officer Brian Joseph.

Meadville is about 90 miles north of Pittsburgh.

source

What did he do? Yell for it to come back?

That's what I was wondering.

That'd be one of those doubletake moments for me, if I saw a wrecking ball rolling down the road :laugh:

-Spenser

does car insurance cover "car getting smashed by a wreaking ball" ?

I would think it would be the contracting company paying for the damages since it was their fault. But no, I don't think that would be covered ... LOL.

does car insurance cover "car getting smashed by a wreaking ball" ?

I don't know, but the company that was using the crane is gonna have to pay for it.

Glad nobody was badly hurt, because then there wouldn't be ANY humor in this story.

Edited by CrashGordon

How does a 1,500 pound ball of steel and concrete "injure" you? Did it graze them gently as it rolled by? I can only see this thing killing and crushing a person, not injuring them.

Glad nobody was hurt, because then there wouldn't be ANY humor in this story.

After seeing the headline, it's hard not to want to go and see the video.

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "Meedvil" not "Medvil".

smashing into several cars and injuring three people before coming to rest
Glad nobody was hurt, because then there wouldn't be ANY humor in this story.

Not sure which part of three people getting injured is no one getting hurt!!

post edited after i read the whole article again, I was still thinking about how the guy was trying to stop the 1500 pound ball bouncing down the street. With a giant baseball glove?

In a stern voice.... "Wrecking ball, you get back over here right now!!"

It might help if he stamped his foot as he said it.

I think the claim he 'tried to stop it' was a cya moment....

What did he do? Yell for it to come back?

That would've been a site to see.

How does a 1,500 pound ball of steel and concrete "injure" you? Did it graze them gently as it rolled by? I can only see this thing killing and crushing a person, not injuring them.
In a stern voice.... "Wrecking ball, you get back over here right now!!"

It might help if he stamped his foot as he said it.

LMAO! :laugh:

..., damaging more than a dozen vehicles as it bounced from curb to curb, police said.

source

It's a new game... called "Bowing with wrecking balls" ... the guy got a perfect strike!

Maybe it was the people in the cars that were hit? Note,the ball hit the trunk of the first car causing a chain reaction> of smashes = injured people. (Whiplash etc)