• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Who's Falut is this one

Question

shockz    5,939

OK.... today we decided that we would get a DSL conection, b/c we are sick of all the disconnects and time outs. (It even disconnected me when I wrote this) We searched around for providers. The big ones we saw were the Sh*ty AOL one, or the MSN one. We decided to go with the MSN one. So were were checking our avalilability and it said that it wasn't avaliable in our area yet.

What I want to know is who is the one that is being lazy. Is it our phone company or MSN's falut that they don't have avaliablity in our area yet. I want to know this so that I can call them so they can make our area compliant.

Thanx.

GOD IT DISCONNECTED ME AGAIN RIGHT WHEN I SUBMITTED THE POST!!! :mad:

10 answers to this question

aco    0

It must be pretty bad if you can't even get xDSL, I know some people in Australia are ****ed off that they can't get cable, but basically everyone can get ADSL.

In Australia, the phone exchanges have to support ADSL for it to be available to an area. Recently many of the phone exchanges were upgraded to support ADSL.

I have cable and I can understand why you want to get rid of 56K, but cable/xDSL is not 100% perfect - Network outages, cut cables, etc. are common.

I guess you will have to wait until your local telephone exchange is upgraded. :(

shockz    5,939

Thanks for the info. I called the phone company and they said that it is going to take 12-24 months to upgrade our area to DSL, so I will have to wait till then. The werid thing is that we STILL can't get over 32K yet. Our local Ameritech company got the worst ratings for service and support in the area - so who knows when they will do it.

EmuZombie    139

yeah, as you found out, it is the phone company's fault... they say 12-24 months... wtf? 1-2 years? god damn that's a pretty broad time frame...

Other options you have for an "always on" connection is cable.. if you're in the US the 2 major ones are www.rr.com and www.home.com Another option is satilite. Now, this I wouldn't recommend if you;'re wanting to play real time games online, as ping times are very high. I don't know of any satilite providers though. But you can virtually get satilite whereever you may be, and if you do, make sure you get 2 way, 1 way means you still have to dial up, you just use the satilite to download things.

Hope this helps, I know how much of a pain it is getting disconnected all the time (I used to have dial up :p )

MulletRobZ    2

New Brunswick's high-speed Internet (ADSL) can't be put all over the province! LIke there are many of my friends that I know who can't get Vibe (the high-speed service) in their area!

Steven P.    14,133

The fact remains that ISPs are alot worse than any and all software companies put together.

They:

• Charge too much for a crap service, that only gets better through months of compliants.
  • Helpdesk people usually have no idea what you are talking about

not to mention the fact that if you breathe on your computer they decide its no longer supported.

Take my story for instance, I had some laughs with this one.. I bought 4 IP's with "Fast" ADSL 1mb/0.5mb so each had that speed (not split) I hookerd everything through my Network so that my 3 computers (now 2) could reach the modem gateway for an IP. The modem was prone to disconnects because it cant handle networks. When I complained they said that *ANY* Network is not supported.

I said, "um, how I am supposed to give my other pc's an IP then without a network?" well you guessed it, They didnt know.

So they sold me something that they themselves will not support. They dont offer (supported) hubs (i asked) so I am left wondering, um.. so I am supported for a direct connect to my PC meaning 1 IP address.

Luckily some fat git got off his fat ass and wrote a better bios for the speedtouch home adsl modem, after 1 year it now works without disconnects.

ISPs suck major ass.

hulibecker    0

here in the uk broadband internet is till quite new, and is not very wide spread yet, where i am does offer it, but just a few miles away, they cannot get it, while the provider gives no definate time frame as to when will be available.

I am about to move house, and am even taking into consideration of if can get broadband or not in my decision of a house!!

the technology is out there, there is a demand, so why is the providers of BT etc taking so long to get their act together!!

I for one am willing to pay the price, just so i can finally take a hammer to this 56k modem!!!!

configure    1
GOD IT DISCONNECTED ME AGAIN RIGHT WHEN I SUBMITTED THE POST!!!
I know how you feel bro, it happen to me too.. :disappoin

MulletRobZ    2

That disconnection's nothing new to me! Happens all the time on my blasted 56K connection, d00dz!

altezza    0

I don't like to get disconnected ;)

Makes me feel lazy to download the files again (that was on 56k connection). I once got up to 97% of 80 meg file and disconnected (arrgghhhh 56k sux :s )

Faction    0

^ thats what download managers are for :p

And yeah.. DSL dosnt exactly matter on service, i am getting in within this month [omg praise the lord finally], but i couldnt get it for 2 years because i had a split line / my lines on my private road are crappy :