Sony: 360

:no: I'd much rather be able to put my own 3rd party purchased drive in than pay the premium prices MS charge. (I'd think the same way if it was Sony charging for a hard drive)

So what's the benefit of spending an extra $100 on the 80Gb PS3?

Ok yeah, I see your point there!

The only thing im saying is the drive is "custom" when it comes to the consumer upgrading their 360 drive. Unlike the PS3 they can't go use any standard one - It must be an addon purchased from MS.

My point is it costs a lot more for the consumer.

Your point is it doesn't cost that much more for MS.

:laugh:

Yes, exactly. :D

But, if you think about it, if Microsoft were to allow custom HDD to be used, costs for them would be even more... not because they don't see the profits from the HDD sales, but because of the amount of increased security that they would have to implement. And, as such, they wouldn't be able to follow their price-drop schedule as much as they'd like.

There isn't much :laugh:

Thats why I'll grab a 60GB if I can and stick a 120GB in it. Or 160, whatever you can put in it now.

You gotta see my point - In a few years time it'll be great to stick a 200-300gb drive or whatever inside. Or even have multiple drives with stuff on em.

As it currently stands I think PS1 titles can be downloaded and played on the PS3. What happens if Sony get the PS1 store up to a couple hundred games? That will need some space!

(Prays a Dark_Alex like firmware comes out for the PS3... :p)

Every time I walk into Game im glad i bought a 360.

Tons of great games. New 360 exclusive or released first titles. The PS3's top seller is Call od Duty 3 and only Ridge Racer and Resistance: Fall of Man are exclusives in the top 10 (Game website).

Now, while the 360 top 10 features many of the same titles its because all the good ones are bought on release. Such as Gears of War, Dead Rising, Forza. I was playing games a year ago that are only just coming out / come out on the PS3. The HDD is good for demos, such as the new Ace Combat, which rocks. And new/original/exclusive titles are coming out every month.

I also seem to have a FREE 3 year warranty!

What does the PS3 have which is better? Blue Ray maybe, but the price sucks, the prices of BlueRay players suck and the prices of BlueRay films suck (compared to DVD). They will probably start to fail soon, as did the PS2 as does most new technology before revisions.

And im not too sure about BlueRay or HD DVD, im going digital! HD quality film downloads are about 4+GB, iphones, ipods, computers, Apple TV and others like it all rely on digital content.

Anyway my point is this. Sony doesnt have my loyalty. I bought the best console at the time, with still the best games, with a better price, better online support, better warranty, better future games. I didnt wait for an over priced, under supported console just because it said PS on it.

BTW always owned playstations, PS1, PS2 & PSP (put me of sony, cant even get GT out on it as promised) always bought Apple computers. This is the first time in many years Microsoft got a penny out of me.

The price drop is only to blow out the 60gb stock. With the 80gb, you get a free game, so there's more value for the same amount of money.

Alot of what was said (in the original post) is quite true, with the exception of the HD-DVD part. Mind you HD-DVD doesn't seem to be doing well, it's non-existant here and I think the only region it's doing well in is North America (not 100% sure), while Blu-Ray seems to be dominating everywhere.

Still I think Sony are full of themselves, the whole PS2 been the most successful console ever made (and still is) and the record breaking launch of the PS3, has gone straight to thier heads and it shows. The way Sony carry on you'd think the PS2/PS3 are the only consoles on the market and that the 360/Wii are just a rumor. The guy goes on about how MS isn't making any profit off the 360, yet he didn't mention Sony arn't doing much better, cause of the huge debt they are in cause of the development of the PS3 (sure the PS2 is raking in alot of money, but how much are Sony actually seeing? I bet alot of it is going in to paying off that massive debt). Sure the Xbox 360 has alot of problems, but at least MS have acknowledged them and trying to correct it...would Sony offer the same dedication if the PS3 had some serious faults with it? I get the feeling the answer would be no.

Yes, exactly. :D

But, if you think about it, if Microsoft were to allow custom HDD to be used, costs for them would be even more... not because they don't see the profits from the HDD sales, but because of the amount of increased security that they would have to implement. And, as such, they wouldn't be able to follow their price-drop schedule as much as they'd like.

I'm not sure about the security thing though?

PS3 doesn't seem to have any problems as of yet... And as far as I'm aware the 360 has quite a strict and good way of catching pirated software hence I'd doubt hard drives would cause an issue.

Maybe Sony just enjoy the firmware battle they experienced tackling custom PSP firmware, and don't really care if it happens again on the PS3. :laugh:

Tons of great games. New 360 exclusive or released first titles. The PS3's top seller is Call od Duty 3 and only Ridge Racer and Resistance: Fall of Man are exclusives in the top 10 (Game website).

Psst... Check this out.

I'm not sure about the security thing though?

PS3 doesn't seem to have any problems as of yet... And as far as I'm aware the 360 has quite a strict and good way of catching pirated software hence I'd doubt hard drives would cause an issue.

Maybe Sony just enjoy the firmware battle they experienced tackling custom PSP firmware, and don't really care if it happens again on the PS3. :laugh:

Haha... perhaps. :laugh:

But no, I think Microsoft would have a much tougher time than Sony because downloadable content is constantly available on the Xbox 360. If users were allowed to go in and put their own HDD (and thus modify what is on the HDD) then we would surely see some problems arise, such as cheating on Xbox Live etc. Look at Halo 2 as a prime example of this, only just recently has Microsoft and Bungie implemented some pro-active monitoring to ban modders/cheaters because they simply weren't prepared. This time around, they have more stringent control over the HDD and thus this same problem won't be happening on the Xbox 360 (hopefully anyways :p).

Sony can learn a thing or two from Microsoft, namely, some class. You never see Microsoft making statements of this nature about Sony. Pathetic. :no:

Yeah, same goes with Apple.

Since the HDD is not 'custom', why do they charge so much? I wouldn't care if it was cheaper but I mean, the 120GB here is $200.

Profit. Accessories are marked up heaps. It's how they make the money when they lose money on the console.

Profit. Accessories are marked up heaps. It's how they make the money when they lose money on the console.

They don't lose money on the console. They make a profit on each unit sold.

I thought they have only recently started making profit on the consoles?

They've been making a profit for almost a year, now.

They don't lose money on the console. They make a profit on each unit sold.

Well there was only ever one source for that, so it's not official that they are. You'd also think they'd made some money by now, but each quarter it's a big loss. A recent article I read says they're still taking a loss so it depends on who you ask. "Xbox 360 is an expensive piece of hardware and sources close to Microsoft has confirmed that the company is still losing money on every single console." That was from a week ago, so who knows.

With that said, my statement about accessories was actually a general one. I was saying that usually companies make money on accessories and lose money on the console, it wasn't just pertaining to the 360.

you guys are way too up tight., who cares who digs who, I think this is funny as hell and its cool to see people have the balls to say what is genuinley on their minds.

you guys are way too up tight., who cares who digs who, I think this is funny as hell and its cool to see people have the balls to say what is genuinley on their minds.

Which is what everyone in this thread is doing :rolleyes:

He's just jealous that PS3 sux :p

Sony have started turning themselves around...taking advantage of the Sony and Ericsson partnership to make a new PS platform...it's all good for Somy, and yeah, they can say what they want, it's what companies do to try and get customers...

Company #1 sells a product

Company #2 sells a similar product

Company #1 says why Product #1 is better than Product #2

Internet explodes

Oh hey look.. it's all the same players again.. time to jump into this one! :laugh:

Every company takes a stab at another. It's business. It's politics. It's what heats up the competition. Some of you act like this is an astounding new development in the world. Oh it's Sony making another public statement... rally up the troops! :rolleyes:

But hey, they do have a point. I guess Sony isn't spending a nice wad of cash to fix consoles that shouldn't have had such a simple issue in the first place like the other side of the creek is, right? Yeah, sure.. atleast they are fixing it, but I guess I'd rather have a nicely built and tuned piece of hardware. ;)

Let's get some real news posted...