Switch User results in black screen & hang

Hi,

This problem is driving me nuts. I've had this problem for few months now and have not been able to find a solution to it despite searching for a solution on the net for so long.

I am using XP and whenever I try to Switch User and log in as a second user, the screen goes black and the system hangs, which forces me to reset the computer.

Obviously the switch user Service is running, otherwise I wouldn't have the option to "Switch User" and I wouldn't see the welcome screen with the list of users on my PC. But I am able to get to the welcome screen with no problems.

The problem begins as soon as I press Enter when I try to log in as a second user. The screen goes black and the system freezes.

I am able to switch user to the welcome screen and back into the first account I am logged into. Everything works fine that way. However, I cannot log in as more than one user at the same time.

I have got the latest nvidia drivers. And I've tested the last three releases but does not fix the problem.

Please help.

just as a check, when you are switching users, what kind of account are you switching to (i.e. admin or regular?). I fixed an issue once where there was a conflict between two administrator accounts being run at the same time.

just as a check, when you are switching users, what kind of account are you switching to (i.e. admin or regular?). I fixed an issue once where there was a conflict between two administrator accounts being run at the same time.

OK, this is funny. I just came back to write something on what I had just tested and looks like you got there first.

I went away and did a test. I changed the second account from "Limited" to "Computer Administrator" and tried to switch user between the two and it worked like a charm!!!

However, I need to keep the second user as Limited and still be able to switch between the two without logging out.

I know some versions of Symantec and other security software can create that kind of conflict. Try setting them both back to how you want them and boot in safe mode, disable all extra apps and try to switch user then. If it works, then you should be able to eliminate possibilites. It could be something as simple as a background process.

And as brandnew said, you could try using group policies as well.

I know some versions of Symantec and other security software can create that kind of conflict. Try setting them both back to how you want them and boot in safe mode, disable all extra apps and try to switch user then. If it works, then you should be able to eliminate possibilites. It could be something as simple as a background process.

And as brandnew said, you could try using group policies as well.

I found out with a little sisters around that group policies are the best way to go, because you can be more specific on the things you want to restrict.

I found out with a little sisters around that group policies are the best way to go, because you can be more specific on the things you want to restrict.

(Y) +1 with that, although, if he's on XP home, he won't have that pleasure :p

Thanks everyone for the replies. You guys are quick. I didn't expect so many replies so fast. :)

Looks like my problem is fixed.

I am not sure what fixed it though. After I changed my second user from Limited to Admin, everything started working. I think logging into the second user as Admin triggered something and fixed the problem. I changed the account back to limited and I was still able to switch users. I even restarted my PC to make sure it was working again... and it was!

brandnewfantx, I normally have the second user set as a Power User actually. It works best for my needs. So yeh, I have used the Group Policies to do exactly that and I am still able to switch between users.

bmaher, maybe I should have been more clearer... I am on XP pro.

Anyways guys, thanks for the quick help.

Arrgghh!!! The problem is back. :(

brandnewfantx, I need to ask you something. Which services do I enable/disable in Group Policies?

Yesterday is was working fine... but today when I tried to switch user, I got the black screen and freeze again which forces me to reset.

I've tried UPHclean as well. Didn't fix it.

I even tried setting the second account to Admin, but this time switching user didn't work.

I've tried disabling my firewall, that didn't work either.

I've noticed one thing though... once I removed my display drivers completely and I was able to switch user. But when I re-install my drivers the problem comes back again. I've tried installing the drivers with firewall disabled as well.

As I mentioned earlier, I've tried the last 3 releases of nVidia drivers and all give this problem. The problem began few months ago.

Anyone else got any other suggestion?