No more VISTA in this house...

Hey Guys...

I had bought 2 copies of Vista in the beginning; Ultimate edition that was signed (that limited edition version), and Home Premuim for my laptop. Excited as always being you are moving to the next OS, I was ready to rock. As posted previously awhile back, I had uninstalled Ultimate because my computer had major decreased performance and all my programs were not working properly for my workflow, so I reverted back to Windows XP. It was like heaven or, What a new OS should feel like when you upgrade to it.

Well tonight, my wife came to me and said that was it, all her things that she did before going to Vista (on the laptop) aren't just working at all for her anymore, and I was tired of having to check this, check that, look for drivers, read discussion forums on seeing how to fix something that was never broekn previously, and to add, telling her everything is fine, and then restarting the laptop, getting an instant blue screen on using the restart feature. So as requested, painfully (after spending a lot of money on the operating systems) and doing my wifes bidding to please her, I have put the previous OS back on there which is Windows XP MCE, which had came with the computer before Vista had come out like 2 months later. Instantly, the speed of the computer I bought was back to normal, all the programs previously where back, and I haven't seen her on that computer like that in the longest of time, since Vista came out. So, I'm happy to report the laptop is doing great, and I got my XBOX360 back since she isn't playing that now.

I think once SP1 comes out, I'll give it another go on my machine, but I'll wait until others start to report what their systems are doing and their performance before jumping back on the boat. I plan on using the system again, but going out and completely getting a new system, then 3 months later, after installing Vista and it not working as well as I would have hoped for, was a bit more painfully than anything. It's like being part of that group, you know you want to defend it successfully, but you know it was a purchase that you really screwed up on. More like you bought a NGage, and you defend it, but you know you messed up deep down because you just wanted to be that first batch to get it before anyone else. Well, hopefully the SP1 patch will be the change for better things for myself, but for the mean time, Windows XP is the deal for now for this house hold and hopefully, others reading this will take this with a grain of salt, instead of a letter to Microsoft and a fanboy dream to bash a thread.

Side Note: During E3 this year, they were interviewing a FragDoll about Vista, and she didn't even know what Vista was or anything like that, then the interviewer asked about gaming for Vista, FragDoll replied .. What are you talking about... and the journalist said, "Stupid", and the FragDoll was completely clueless what Vista was. I till can't believe Microsoft allowed the release of that video on the Xbox Live marketplace for people to download. Totally bad editing and PR move. Or maybe they just wanted to prove a point. No idea.

(Thread's Edit) I edited this thread with spelling and gammer mistakes because I didn't know I was hired or bounded by the terms of service to be an English teacher on this thread. LOL. More like, it was very late and have been feeling sick for the past week, and posted the thread. I just wanted to share my story, and even if you are a vet that comes to these forums every second of your life, this wasn't a "to quickly bash Vista in any way"; I just wanted ot share my experience with Vista and anyone that might be wanting to upgrade their machine. I really was hoping and wishing there was something out their like this for myself before the upgrade, which I could have saved some money for the time being back then and spent it on something that could have been used 100% of the time, instead of collecting dust. But who knows, once the patch comes out, I'll try it again on this new bought rig which I got previously before upgrading and see how it works then.

Links to other stories... (related to this thread)

vista installed just fine, with a hic-up @ beginning

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=534251&hl=

Upgrade to Vista Home Premium nightmare!

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=534562&hl=

I got Jacked! Vista Ultimate

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=535304&hl=

UnInstalling Vista in 1 hour

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=549776&hl=

Edited by VipeNess

Wow, that was possibly the worst written post I have seen in a long time.

Look - Vista is generally fine. Driver support is poor, nd people are slow to adapt to the (IMHO) improved interface.

But some people have good experiences and some don't.

*shudder* People actually go from Vista to XP? Who is frag doll and why does it matter what it said. I'm confused. That is a weird post.

sorry to hear that, I'm actually quite happy with vista, it's the first smartly interacting operating system from microsoft imho.

Wow, that was possibly the worst written post I have seen in a long time.

lol, I didn't want to say anything in case English isn't his native tongue, but I said the same thing to myself while reading it.

Sorry to hear Vista didn't work for you, but it runs flawlessly on most newer, supported hardware. Perhaps you should leave XP on those machines, then upgrade to Vista when you upgrade your computer(s).

I have vista and XP and I actually prefer neither of them, personally Ubuntu is fine. Although I use Vista and XP everyday Vista is the slowest, memory hogging, demanding most expensive thing Microsoft have bought out in a LONG time.

XP or Ubuntu all the way! :D

I have vista and XP and I actually prefer neither of them, personally Ubuntu is fine. Although I use Vista and XP everyday Vista is the slowest, memory hogging, demanding most expensive thing Microsoft have bought out in a LONG time.

XP or Ubuntu all the way! :D

You must have an old PC then, Vista is very quick and responsive here. I don't see Vista hogging memory, I see it utilising it in a smarter fashion and releasing resouces as needed by programs.

Pointless thread of the year award, coming your way! :rolleyes:

SP1 isn't going to be some magical fix that everybody thinks it will be, because there's no magical fix needed. Vista runs fine. If you're having performance issues, it's one of two things: you have old hardware or the drivers you're using are poorly written. Not anything Microsoft can do something about.

I want SP1 so bad, it might fix some small problems that many people have, ie Compatability issues such as BF2 crashing to the desktop!

I want SP1 so bad, it might fix some small problems that many people have, ie Compatability issues such as BF2 crashing to the desktop!

That is something that would be fixed by either a patch for the game from EA, or a new driver version. Yet again, something that Microsoft can't do anything about.

I find it extremely funny how all these little issues that are usually attributed to their rightful sources (games crashing, poor framerates, etc.) are automatically Vista's fault simply because it's a new operating system. Games crashing to the desktop have never been XP's fault, yet now it's Vista's fault. Yeah, that makes sense.

No Vista is new, Microsoft I believe had to release it on the deadline that they had set, which at the time looked realistic, but because Vista wasn't finished all of the Vista users now have to download updates every couple of days. Compatabilty is something that Vista has to sort out.

Oh, please. Learn a bit more about Vista before you start throwing crap like that around.

Incompatibilities are not up to Microsoft to fix. Any software incompatibilities are due to software being poorly written or not patched up to date to work with Vista. In any case, a game crashing to the desktop is not due to Vista, as it was not due to XP either. It's due to something the game developer or the driver developer has to fix. Quit being so quick to say Vista's the issue.

And your updates argument is by far the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Updates for Vista are coming out no more often than updates for XP, so by your logic XP wasn't finished either, huh?

lol, I didn't want to say anything in case English isn't his native tongue, but I said the same thing to myself while reading it.

Well said, not everyone can write perfect English.

Oh, please. Learn a bit more about Vista before you start throwing crap like that around.

Incompatibilities are not up to Microsoft to fix. Any software incompatibilities are due to software being poorly written or not patched up to date to work with Vista. In any case, a game crashing to the desktop is not due to Vista, as it was not due to XP either. It's due to something the game developer or the driver developer has to fix. Quit being so quick to say Vista's the issue.

And your updates argument is by far the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Updates for Vista are coming out no more often than updates for XP, so by your logic XP wasn't finished either, huh?

I fully agree with you. Unfortunately for Microsoft it's more easy to blame them instead of trying to figure out what causes the problem(s). I would not be happy with the Vista compatible application/drivers list if I were a Microsoft representative.

The key is making sure your computer can run Vista efficiently. I had it installed on my old 2500+ with 512mb RAM. Not particularly a good idea but I put up with the ridiculous performance drop because I happened to prefer the simplicity and ease of Vista to XP. The interface feels a lot more innovative and natural, although I know some will disagree.

I lived with poor performance for a while because I knew I was gearing up to buy a new PC and I did. Now I'm running Vista on an E6600, with 2 Gigs of RAM and a 8800GTS 640mb.

So as someone has mentioned before. Prolly best to have your old PC run on XP. And any new machine that's able to cope with it run with Vista. Simple

The thing is games like BF2 have been around for some time, Microsoft should have realised that if ALL new computers were going to be shipped with Vista on them, it should atleast work with games and basic programs ESPECIALLY if its a gaming machine.

What are the specs of the computers you were attemtping to run vista on? It runs great on my old pc (in my sig). I got really no performance drop from XP, if anything it seems faster and more responsive.

Dude, we don't care.

We've seen enough of these topics to really not care.

If you want to downgrade to a less secure, less advanced, less featured OS, go ahead.

I agree with the post almost 100%. I've been running Vista Ulitmate on my D620 with integrated Graphics and 2 Gb of memory since Feb. this year, it runs great for as much as a resouce hog Vista is, and Dell has been slow to release updated drivers. I'll probably backdown to XP Pro that came loaded originally, as the D620 shines with speed and stability with the older OS. So I'd recommend to stick with XP and only get Vista if your buying a new computer. And as for gamers, some don't mind the bit of a drop in frames, the drivers have gotten better, but most will stick to XP untill it is no longer supported by MS.

Edited by abysal

Why don't people just wait until they purchase/build a new PC until they start using vista.

Then we won't have so many of these topics about vista not being compatable blah blah blah...

A simple comparison of the same top of the line machine loaded (Core2, 4 GB Ram, Geforce8 Series, SATA 7.2k drive) with XP vs. Vista will show you how much slower vista is. So "why don't people get it in their heads" that Vista is a slower performer then XP? I guess I'm in that minority that wants every bit of juice out of my hardware on a windows platform, I guess if I wasn't a gamer it wouldn't matter because general desktop performance is ok for the most part, and then I would just use a linux box anyways. But yes the best thing to do is wait to go to Vista when you get a new machine. I think too many people do not approach this topic objectively.

if you say vista is a resource hog best thing to do is buy more ram since ram is cheap

besides vista will not run good on a fisher price computer