• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

No more VISTA in this house...

gigapixels    99
A simple comparison of the same top of the line machine loaded (Core2, 4 GB Ram, Geforce8 Series, SATA 7.2k drive) with XP vs. Vista will show you how much slower vista is. So "why don't people get it in their heads" that Vista is a slower performer then XP? I guess I'm in that minority that wants every bit of juice out of my hardware on a windows platform, I guess if I wasn't a gamer it wouldn't matter because general desktop performance is ok for the most part, and then I would just use a linux box anyways. But yes the best thing to do is wait to go to Vista when you get a new machine. I think too many people do not approach this topic objectively.
Your experience does not equal everybody else's experience. Vista runs faster than XP did on the same hardware for me.
The thing is games like BF2 have been around for some time, Microsoft should have realised that if ALL new computers were going to be shipped with Vista on them, it should atleast work with games and basic programs ESPECIALLY if its a gaming machine.
I'm not even going to respond now. You obviously have no grasp of how games and programs work and how they're developed. I can simply say once again that these are not issues Microsoft is responsible for.

TheRPG    0

No, Vista isn't any slower than Windows XP quite opposite to be honest. Only problems in vista is it's Hardware Audio disabled & it's idiotic interface and security which is so active when just bunched in..

and about vista would be optimized good by microsoft?? hah?? yeah keep laughing it's a bunch of shait which you really have to build from top to bottom yourself to get reality out of the potential it offers, but to be honest with you guys it is an insanely good system and I think it's even damn fine looking comparing to XP even wiht Vista transformations.. ;)))

metallithrax    522
The thing is games like BF2 have been around for some time, Microsoft should have realised that if ALL new computers were going to be shipped with Vista on them, it should atleast work with games and basic programs ESPECIALLY if its a gaming machine.

The game runs on top of windows, it is up to the game to be compatible with windows not the other way round.

hulkachopblocker    0

The Microsoft clones come out when someone doesn't like the operating system they like. I use both. But I use XP Pro more because I cant play Soldier of Fortune 2 on Vista. Maybe one day when they get the crap together meaning .... the people who make the drivers for Vista get it right and the people at Microsoft get most of the bugs worked out. I'd be happy to put XP in a drawer.

MtnDewCodeRedFreak    251

Ugh what utter garbage of the "review" the OP wrote.

Vista ran perfectly fine for me on this 3-year-old computer. I even did hardware-based upgrades, like RAM, HD, video card, and DVD+RW.

To tell you the truth, both Vista and Server 2008 ran faster than XP and Server 2003 R2.

VipeNess    0
if you think vista is not for you, can you send me your ultimate copy? lol j/k

I would if I could.

Actually, there is a program that comes with the Ultimate edition where I can buy (2) copies for $50.00 USD instead of the full price.

obsolete_power    0

Wow many people that replied to his post in here should be ashamed of themselves....if all you can see from what he posted is the way he writes then you seriously need to grow up some! I am going to make this clear for you once and for all!! Vista will only be a fine upgrade for amateur computer users. If you are a power user then Vista should be kept off your system. If all you need windows for is to run office, browse the web and install your occasional game then purchasing a retail copy of Vista will be a great experience for you. The point he is trying to make is that if you are a pro user where you need powerful applications and seemless compatibility, Vista retail is a terrible investment. If you listen to any tech expert's opinion on Vista, you will see "Right now, you should only get Vista if it comes bundled with the new computer you are about to get but upgrading your existing computer to it is a bad decision" If you want a specific example, call up Leo Laporte of the TWiTT network and ask him about this. He will say the same thing and many others. How about Paul Thurrott as an example....Start listening to people that actually DO know what they are talking about before you decide to pick on someone (like the OP) who is simply stating facts and uses his own experiences to back that up. Microsoft isn't to blame here and we all know that so when someone says Vista isn't worth it, he is just saying that right now it isn't a feasible investment but down the road it will surpass anything we have seen so far.

KeeperOfThePizza    49

Ever since I've upgraded to 2GB of RAM, Vista has been running superb.. I cant really tell any difference between XP and Vista anymore.. with less than 2GB.. Windows XP was obviously the winner.

Snakehn    5

For some unknown reason i've been getting random lockups in my PC ever since RC1, i have googled many, MANY times and it seems like a lot of people is having this same problem, but no answer yet, i am really sick of this.

obsolete_power    0
For some unknown reason i've been getting random lockups in my PC ever since RC1, i have googled many, MANY times and it seems like a lot of people is having this same problem, but no answer yet, i am really sick of this.

Yes that shouldn't be happening under normal conditions. I have been a beta tester for Vista and that had never been a problem. Ensure that your CPU gets enough air circulating around it and the same for your video card. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS version for your motherboard.

trek    207

Leo Laporte as a credible source? Rofl :laugh:

Preppy    33

I respect people having problems: it's just that without specifics, it's not really helpful or useful. "all my programs were not working properly" -- what programs? Third party applications should work on Vista unless there's a compatibility issue, which is usually handled by the vendor. So what apps? Etc etc.

I totally get and respect people's frustrations, but if you want to move forward, you've got to be specific. What specific application or scenario doesn't work? If you crash, what is the specific crash information?

Chode    1

reading the OP, I have decided to make my opinon on it official.

I have failed to dredge any care from give a f$%^ bay.

Fonze    0
New system -> Vista. Old system -> XP. Simple.

Now, my reaction to the OP's post was "OK, good for you. Who Cares?" Seriously.

Honestly, I'm usually a big Microsoft supporter, but I really think Microsoft dropped the ball with Vista. I haven't seen this many BSODs since Windows ME. My 4 year old laptop, Dell 600m, is more stable running Vista than my Alienware Area-51 7500 that is just barely 6 months old. We also have a new HP Touchsmart PC, which is brand new and designed for vista. Even with 2gb of ram, the comp is slow to startup and slow to react at times and suffers from "unexpected shutdowns" from BSOD. My laptop and Alienware also suffer from CPU throttling issues that cause my laptop to have terrible battery life and my Alienware to stay at max clock speed instead of clocking itself down using intel speedstep.

Expecting people to wait for SP1 to have these issues fixed is ridiculous. Roll out the fixes asap and ignore the stupid Ultimate extras, which they seem to be doing anyway.

Andrew Lyle    336

i don't know why people have such problems using vista.. learn to use a pc guys.. OR don't go out buying vista on it's own if you don't know how to use it

I've been using vista for a few months, and i don't have any problems with crashes, blue screens, black screens, or random reboots..

Preppy    33

BSODs are typically driver or hardware based. Given what you're saying, something is pretty horribly wrong with your system, and you should sort that out with your computer seller's support staff immediately.

Microsoft can really only fix the flaws in Microsoft code.

Foub    0
I have vista and XP and I actually prefer neither of them, personally Ubuntu is fine. Although I use Vista and XP everyday Vista is the slowest, memory hogging, demanding most expensive thing Microsoft have bought out in a LONG time.

XP or Ubuntu all the way! :D

I went from Vista Home Basic to Ubuntu as well. Generally Vista worked fine, but it was still too picky and the least thing could send it into the dreaded BSOD at boot up. I didn't get any BSODs while in Vista, though. What got me is that I had just upgraded my video drivers(Sapphire x1650 Pro) (Which I had already done several time before under this copy of Vista while still having the SAME MB and CPU each time as this.) and after I rebooted I got a warning to activate within 3 days or else. So, I went to reactive and it wouldn't accept it (I had already had the update that was suppose to fix this on OEMs like what Dell was selling. BTW, I'm not using a mass preactivated OEM copy, and yes this was a legal OEM copy.) I wasn't about to call India each and every time I needed to upgrade my drivers. I had the same problem back with XP Home Edition as well. Activation is just to sensitive and can't tell the difference between a real piece of hardware, a virtual one, or even a driver update for those who try out a lot of stuff and this apparently eats up activations.

For now I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 until SP1 comes out and it gets put through the ringer first. Until then I can still run many of my favorite Windows programs under Wine and the like.

BTW, I have around 25 years experience using Microsoft OSes. My system at the time of using Home Basic was a Celeron 2.4 GHz, with 1 Gb of RAM, and the Sapphire x1650 Pro. This is more than enough to run this version. I have since upgraded my CPU to a P4 3.4 GHz CPU. Ubuntu is far less stressful than Vista and ALL of my hardware runs just fine under it.

Edited by Foub

Fonze    0
BSODs are typically driver or hardware based. Given what you're saying, something is pretty horribly wrong with your system, and you should sort that out with your computer seller's support staff immediately.

Microsoft can really only fix the flaws in Microsoft code.

I'm no amateur when it comes to PCs. I keep my systems clean and up to date with the latest patches and stable drivers. I do agree that most of the BSODs are probably related to drivers, but that doesn't mean that the issues should be ignored. It's not like I'm using niche/budget hardware either, it is all mainstream stuff.

It's not all driver related either, I've tried 2 different 2gb flash drives trying to use ReadyBoost and both times have had to return the flash drives because they refused to work, and these were both "Designed for ReadyBoost" flash drives from Best Buy.

Foub    0
I'm no amateur when it comes to PCs. I keep my systems clean and up to date with the latest patches and stable drivers. I do agree that most of the BSODs are probably related to drivers, but that doesn't mean that the issues should be ignored. It's not like I'm using niche/budget hardware either, it is all mainstream stuff.

It's not all driver related either, I've tried 2 different 2gb flash drives trying to use ReadyBoost and both times have had to return the flash drives because they refused to work, and these were both "Designed for ReadyBoost" flash drives from Best Buy.

I totally agree. Some find it easier to dismiss others by asserting that if you're having problems than it is automatically your fault. Basically, Microsoft puts out crap. The most stable of their OSes was DOS, and it still is. As I had said above, I have around 25 years experience using their OSes so I know what I'm speaking of. BTW, my hardware is also brand name as well. And I use the drivers put out my them as well.

gigapixels    99
I totally agree. Some find it easier to dismiss others by asserting that if your having problems than it is automatically your fault. Basically, Microsoft puts out crap. The most stable of their OSes was DOS, and it still is. As I had said above, I have around 25 years experience using their OSes so I know what I'm speaking of. BTW, my hardware is also brand name as well. And I use the drivers put out my them as well.

Your point? That really doesn't matter if these brand name manufacturers are putting out crappy drivers.

Foub    0
Your point? That really doesn't matter if these brand name manufacturers are putting out crappy drivers.

It is if you mainly install AFTER there have been reviews on their quality and such. This is why I went to ATI instead of another nVidia vid card.

Preppy    33
that doesn't mean that the issues should be ignored.
I completely agree, which is why I had previously said that you should work with ACTUAL support staff to identify and fix these issues instead of only bemoaning the problem.

Be a little proactive - identify the blue screen information, work with support, and identify what's going on.

If you're crashing, you're clearly crashing. So work with support (that is what they are PAID for) to identify what's wrong with your system so that this doesn't happen anymore.

Evidently you are having a problem that you are not able to diagnose. Please work with the right people (starting with your vendor's support staff) to get this straightened out. If it's Microsoft's fault, blame them. If it's XXX's fault, blame them. But it does everyone a disservice to not understand the issue. :(

primexx    372

I suppose that you also believe that we should be stuck on MS DOS, since when NT was released all the DOS programs have existed for a long time, and Windows should at least have worked with DOS, right? :rolleyes:

Wow many people that replied to his post in here should be ashamed of themselves....if all you can see from what he posted is the way he writes then you seriously need to grow up some! I am going to make this clear for you once and for all!! Vista will only be a fine upgrade for amateur computer users. If you are a power user then Vista should be kept off your system. If all you need windows for is to run office, browse the web and install your occasional game then purchasing a retail copy of Vista will be a great experience for you. The point he is trying to make is that if you are a pro user where you need powerful applications and seemless compatibility, Vista retail is a terrible investment. If you listen to any tech expert's opinion on Vista, you will see "Right now, you should only get Vista if it comes bundled with the new computer you are about to get but upgrading your existing computer to it is a bad decision" If you want a specific example, call up Leo Laporte of the TWiTT network and ask him about this. He will say the same thing and many others. How about Paul Thurrott as an example....Start listening to people that actually DO know what they are talking about before you decide to pick on someone (like the OP) who is simply stating facts and uses his own experiences to back that up. Microsoft isn't to blame here and we all know that so when someone says Vista isn't worth it, he is just saying that right now it isn't a feasible investment but down the road it will surpass anything we have seen so far.

The most ignorant post, ever, in this thread.

Fonze    0
I completely agree, which is why I had previously said that you should work with ACTUAL support staff to identify and fix these issues instead of only bemoaning the problem.

Be a little proactive - identify the blue screen information, work with support, and identify what's going on.

If you're crashing, you're clearly crashing. So work with support (that is what they are PAID for) to identify what's wrong with your system so that this doesn't happen anymore.

Evidently you are having a problem that you are not able to diagnose. Please work with the right people (starting with your vendor's support staff) to get this straightened out. If it's Microsoft's fault, blame them. If it's XXX's fault, blame them. But it does everyone a disservice to not understand the issue. :(

I've tried talking to Alienware about the issues but they seem to be pushing the "it will be fixed by SP1" line. I'd like to talk to some support staff to identify the issue, but I don't know who to call. Would I call Microsoft to help identify BSOD issues? Do they charge you per incident to get support? Both motherboard and gpu drivers are through Nvidia, but I've never dealt with them for support.

brandnewfantx    0
:whistle: Someone got caught in the hype and didn't read the small print and system requirements :p

I was thinking of the same thing.