No more VISTA in this house...

agree... every one has his own experience ,,, and own idea to build about vista...

E.G. my brother has been trying to convince me of how bad vista is since i installed it, yet i face driver problems, and erors, yet i stand for my opinion...

Being stubborn like that instead of looking at the facts doesn't make your opinion correct. Vista is not a bad operating system if that's what your brother is telling you, it is a bad CHOICE right now. It will probably be another year at least before Vista will be capable of replacing XP. I can tell you that my sound card and video drivers in vista are very bad. I have two nvidia 7xxx series video cards that I use in SLi and under Vista that is just not possible. Same goes for my sound card. The game performance is just horrid in Vista when compared to XP. This is why so many people are keeping their copy of XP.

Oh here comes the game argument again. Gamers swore that 98SE would be the "gaming platform" over XP. Now where is 98SE?

I am not saying XP is the gaming platform, I am only saying that as of right now, XP offers the most compatibility so gamers will naturally stick to it. When Vista becomes just as compatible or more than XP, then XP will truly be laid to rest in peace. But until then, upgrading to Vista if your are a gamer or a power user makes no sense because you will run into nothing but problems.

I am not saying XP is the gaming platform, I am only saying that as of right now, XP offers the most compatibility so gamers will naturally stick to it. When Vista becomes just as compatible or more than XP, then XP will truly be laid to rest in peace. But until then, upgrading to Vista if your are a gamer or a power user makes no sense because you will run into nothing but problems.

I've run into zero problems playing games on my Vista installation. But how could this be if you're correct? Oh wait, you're not, so there's no issue there.

I've run into zero problems playing games on my Vista installation. But how could this be if you're correct? Oh wait, you're not, so there's no issue there.

It sucks... Performance is lacking majorly... All down to drivers, but the performance loss is definately there.

It sucks... Performance is lacking majorly... All down to drivers, but the performance loss is definately there.

Once again, NOT for me, and there are plenty of people here on Neowin that will agree with me. So please, quit saying that like it's some known fact that can be applied to EVERYBODY because it isn't. The only people having major performance issues are those running Nvidia hardware, and once again that's not Microsoft's fault.

Once again, NOT for me, and there are plenty of people here on Neowin that will agree with me. So please, quit saying that like it's some known fact that can be applied to EVERYBODY because it isn't. The only people having major performance issues are those running Nvidia hardware, and once again that's not Microsoft's fault.

Thank you!I hate it how people get sooo pist off at Vista thinking that its supposed to be ****ty, well for many other people its not. I too am running on an nForce chipset/GeForce-based video card, but honestly I don't think i'm really losing any performance stuffs than to XP. You have to keep up with drivers and everything else that is being released.Vista, to me, is by far WAY better than XP or any other OS. Its faster, it looks cool, its easier to use, its a very stable OS with lots of features a lot of other operating systems don't have.There are lots of threads about these types of things here and I don't see why a mod just doesn't delete them.

I have a nvidia 8800GTX on Vista x64 and games run just as good as on XP, BF2142, CSS, Fear, Stalker etc all run great, i've just brought Lost Planet and though it looks pretty much the same in both DX9 and 10 i get better fps in DX10.

Edited by SIE

Do not sit here and try to correct ME! In my post I say that games under vista perform lower than in XP and this is a fact, especially if you have a DX9 Nvidia graphics card because of their ****ty drivers! By looking at your post it looks like you area a novice user so I am not going to bother taking into consideration your simple-minded comments.

When I say all these things I am referring to most people running Vista. I know there are some people whose experience with Vista has been perfect but my comments are directed at the better part of the people who have to go back to XP.

Do not sit here and try to correct ME! In my post I say that games under vista perform lower than in XP and this is a fact, especially if you have a DX9 Nvidia graphics card because of their ****ty drivers! By looking at your post it looks like you area a novice user so I am not going to bother taking into consideration your simple-minded comments.

When I say all these things I am referring to most people running Vista. I know there are some people whose experience with Vista has been perfect but my comments are directed at the better part of the people who have to go back to XP.

To be fair, there are a few select cases where Vista outperforms XP in games performance (Making it not a "fact" that games perform worse under Vista. Just a "most of the time" sort of thing), and the gap closes with every driver release. Don't be surprised if Vista overtakes XP in terms of overall DX9 performance over the next several months, there are some improvements to the underlying architecture that should mean better performance. The problem lies in immature drivers for a totally revamped driver model: Something that will be fixed with time.

To be fair, there are a few select cases where Vista outperforms XP in games performance (Making it not a "fact" that games perform worse under Vista. Just a "most of the time" sort of thing), and the gap closes with every driver release. Don't be surprised if Vista overtakes XP in terms of overall DX9 performance over the next several months, there are some improvements to the underlying architecture that should mean better performance. The problem lies in immature drivers for a totally revamped driver model: Something that will be fixed with time.

Yessss, for the last time, I am not talking about Vista in the long run, I am talking about Vista in the present day. Telling people that in several months Vista will be the operating system that it was meant to be is not helping them at all! It IS fact that Vista underperforms in games compared to XP. There have been many tests done with 3dmark and other benchmarking programs that clearly show Vista's performance. Again, I did not pay for my 3 copies of Vista so it doesn't matter for me in terms of going back to XP but for people that did spend their money and are not happy that they have to use XP a little longer it does matter and they need to see the facts.

Novice user? Really? Do you even know me? I know more about computers than you ever will, and that is a fact. You're the one that seems to have no clue what you're speaking of, and simply goes off on rants with no real factual evidence to back it up. I will correct you when you need to be corrected because unfortunately many people on this board don't realize that you're the uninformed one and will take your posts seriously.

You are by far the most arrogant yet ignorant person I've ever met when dealing with computers. At least when people don't know much they usually realize that, but it seems like you actually believe you are some sort of expert on the subject. Well here's the fact: you're not. You're some 21 year old child (yes, even though I'm younger than you I'm calling you a child because that is how you're acting) who thinks that how your portray yourself on the internet actually means something. Get a life, and quit ranting about topics you know nothing of.

Vista for me works thou I'm still in the testing phase works for me on my desktop because its more geared to it whilst on my laptop its take a major hit because the hardware is not quite up for the job so old stuff leave it on XP new stuff has long as you got the hardware for it on Vista also i tweaked vista like services and so forth as well, so end of the day we shall always have mixed views about any OS

yea like this thread will never finish \ be closed... debate over the efficiency of vista is really debatable... i dont think thi shas an ending at all

Novice user? Really? Do you even know me? I know more about computers than you ever will, and that is a fact. You're the one that seems to have no clue what you're speaking of, and simply goes off on rants with no real factual evidence to back it up. I will correct you when you need to be corrected because unfortunately many people on this board don't realize that you're the uninformed one and will take your posts seriously.

You are by far the most arrogant yet ignorant person I've ever met when dealing with computers. At least when people don't know much they usually realize that, but it seems like you actually believe you are some sort of expert on the subject. Well here's the fact: you're not. You're some 21 year old child (yes, even though I'm younger than you I'm calling you a child because that is how you're acting) who thinks that how your portray yourself on the internet actually means something. Get a life, and quit ranting about topics you know nothing of.

Okay seriously, you need to pull that ###### out of your ass, take a chill pill and deal with your issues....I am arrogant because I have a right to be, I have done more with my life than you'll ever know but I really don't have to explain myself to you....What is so wrong about what I said? I said that most Vista users are having issues with incompatibility and that is true. Most gamers I know stay on XP because of the problems with performance they have, this is true. Other that are graphics designers or architects also choose to stay on XP because of the software they use not being compatible or supported in Vista, this is also true and if you further deny it, then you are living in a fantasy world....I never said Vista is a bad operating system I just said that people may want to wait longer before paying for Vista. Basically, only get vista if you are getting it as OEM on a new PC but if you are thinking of upgrading your current PC, it is wise to wait Don't sit here and tell me that I am incorrect when I have said nothing wrong. Also, do not even try to insult my knowledge because that really bugs me! I have put a long time into studying computer engineering at university so I have had my share of gaining knowledge. I don't need some punk insulting me just because he may not agree with what I have to say. I am arrogant because I feel that I deserve to and you have no right telling me how to run my life.

it was proven that you need at least 4 gigabytes of RAM in order to run Windows Vista Home Premium and up smoothly..

I am beginning to think that Microsoft teamed up with computer manufacturers so the companies can make more money selling new computers with vista compatible specs...

thats just my opinon ;)

it was proven that you need at least 4 gigabytes of RAM in order to run Windows Vista Home Premium and up smoothly..

I am beginning to think that Microsoft teamed up with computer manufacturers so the companies can make more money selling new computers with vista compatible specs...

thats just my opinon ;)

Proven ? by whom?

I have Vista runing on Laptop and a Desktop , both have 2GB of Ram and performs very well.

Okay seriously, you need to pull that ###### out of your ass, take a chill pill and deal with your issues....I am arrogant because I have a right to be, I have done more with my life than you'll ever know but I really don't have to explain myself to you....What is so wrong about what I said? I said that most Vista users are having issues with incompatibility and that is true. Most gamers I know stay on XP because of the problems with performance they have, this is true. Other that are graphics designers or architects also choose to stay on XP because of the software they use not being compatible or supported in Vista, this is also true and if you further deny it, then you are living in a fantasy world....I never said Vista is a bad operating system I just said that people may want to wait longer before paying for Vista. Basically, only get vista if you are getting it as OEM on a new PC but if you are thinking of upgrading your current PC, it is wise to wait Don't sit here and tell me that I am incorrect when I have said nothing wrong. Also, do not even try to insult my knowledge because that really bugs me! I have put a long time into studying computer engineering at university so I have had my share of gaining knowledge. I don't need some punk insulting me just because he may not agree with what I have to say. I am arrogant because I feel that I deserve to and you have no right telling me how to run my life.

:rofl:

Thank you for proving my point. I appreciate it.

Let me ask you one thing: I can't insult your knowledge, yet you can mine? That is where your true immature character shows through. I also pride myself on my knowledge, but I don't act like an arrogant ass on a forum because nobody cares. Now please, go away.

Edited by gigapixels

Saying that Vista requires 4GB of ram to run smoothly is totally ridiculous. 1GB is fine for most users and non gamers. 2GB is plenty. If you need 4GB to run smoothly, you've either disabled your pagefile (dumb) or turned off superfetch (dumb) or just don't know what you're talking about.

Humility is a far greater asset than arrogance, no-one has a right to be arrogant, but it is a very good way of putting distance between oneself and others!

Back on topic, as everyone else is saying 1GB is absolutely fine for 32bit HP and if you try 4GB on the majority of HP installations (which are 32bit) it won't even be recognised.

Saying that Vista requires 4GB of ram to run smoothly is totally ridiculous. 1GB is fine for most users and non gamers. 2GB is plenty. If you need 4GB to run smoothly, you've either disabled your pagefile (dumb) or turned off superfetch (dumb) or just don't know what you're talking about.

+1

+2

+3

I originally complained but now I could never revert back to XP, Vista grows on you 2 gig ram helps too

There is so much FUD in this thread it's not even funny.

Vista is not a terrible OS. It's not the best, but it's not the worst. If you want a bad OS, try Windows ME. I have been running Vista since release (and even before with beta builds), and I have yet to have ONE issue. Everything runs perfectly fine. At first I used to dual boot with XP, but now I don't have to since all of the drivers for my hardware are up to date (note: this is a system I built for myself).

My Nvidia card works fine in Vista, and the only problem I've had with Nvidia and Vista is a motherboard driver problem but I fixed that pretty easily.

thats just my opinion ;)

you do NOT need 4 gb of ram It runs perfectly on 1GB, and I have been doing a fair amount of gaming and multitasking. I would not recommend it on 512 but saying 4 GB once again is a ridiculous notion. 2GB would be better for gaming, but not many people need 4 gb for anything.

See, for me, my games run the same as in XP (if not BETTER).

People do say that nVidias drivers are lagging a bit right now which they kinda are, but I honestly don't think so anymore.

With 3dmark06 in XP I got maybe 750, now I get almost 1000 somehow...