• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

No more VISTA in this house...

Inplode    0
it was proven that you need at least 4 gigabytes of RAM in order to run Windows Vista Home Premium and up smoothly..

I am beginning to think that Microsoft teamed up with computer manufacturers so the companies can make more money selling new computers with vista compatible specs...

thats just my opinon ;)

LOL got a link to you bull**** info

i run home premium on 2 gigs of ram and it runs smooth

4gigs ROFL

Mordkanin    225
it was proven that you need at least 4 gigabytes of RAM in order to run Windows Vista Home Premium and up smoothly..

I am beginning to think that Microsoft teamed up with computer manufacturers so the companies can make more money selling new computers with vista compatible specs...

thats just my opinon ;)

By who? I believe 1gig and up was the generally accepted "run smoothly" amount of RAM.

jwjw1    93

thats just my opinon ;)

either that or just more proof of bad software writers...guess the more HDD Space and Ram you can con them into thinking you need...the less 'incompatent' a programmer looks.

Tiger.Girl    1

I have one gig of RAM and I think Vista runs like crap on it. Definitely need 2 gigs.

obsolete_power    0
:rofl:

Thank you for proving my point. I appreciate it.

Let me ask you one thing: I can't insult your knowledge, yet you can mine? That is where your true immature character shows through. I also pride myself on my knowledge, but I don't act like an arrogant ass on a forum because nobody cares. Now please, go away.

Wow listen to yourself....Mr. Prize Professor telling people off and calling them immature...How about you forget about these insignificant things and stick to the topic for a changed, what do you say? You're saying I'm immature? Fine, I'll be the better person (yet again) and back down. If you cannot see past your issues and just move on then you're at a major loss.

One more thing, don't you EVER tell me off thinking you know me and who I am! You don't know me and I would appreciate it if you kept your comments to yourself. I act like an arrogant ass because you are doing the same thing that 90% of the people here are doing. You don't agree with what someone says and just have to open that big mouth of yours (figuratively) and insult their posts. If you don't agree with something, please, next time find something else to do....may I suggest an outdoors activity? Don't come in here and challenge me, okay?

bobbba    9

LOL, these lameass discussions still going on here then :rolleyes:

FATILA    4

And he also recommends 2GB for XP, which would have been laughed at when it was released (and in 2004 with SP2).

gigapixels    99
Wow listen to yourself....Mr. Prize Professor telling people off and calling them immature...How about you forget about these insignificant things and stick to the topic for a changed, what do you say? You're saying I'm immature? Fine, I'll be the better person (yet again) and back down. If you cannot see past your issues and just move on then you're at a major loss. One more thing, don't you EVER tell me off thinking you know me and who I am! You don't know me and I would appreciate it if you kept your comments to yourself. I act like an arrogant ass because you are doing the same thing that 90% of the people here are doing. You don't agree with what someone says and just have to open that big mouth of yours (figuratively) and insult their posts. If you don't agree with something, please, next time find something else to do....may I suggest an outdoors activity? Don't come in here and challenge me, okay?

I don't insult your posts. You are the one that goes around insulting others when you're the one that doesn't know what you're talking about. I'm tired of the misinformation being thrown around about Vista, and I simply point out the misinformation when I see it. I hope you can see how utterly ridiculous your latest post was, and how you're asking ME to stick to the topic yet you have just had a post that is fully off topic. You really must be oblivious to how incredibly ridiculous you are acting. If I may recall, YOU were the one that attacked me. All that I did at first was say your posts were incorrect, yet you responded with attacking me once that happened.I am not acting like an arrogant ass, thanks, but I am acting like somebody who knows what he's talking about and is simply defending the facts in this thread. You need to figure out your issues and stop becoming all defensive when somebody says you're wrong.

Vista 4GB "SweetSpot" searchLink to actual article...Note: I did not make the original assertion, but I don't call a person wrong without first searching...

"Sweet spot" is a far cry from running Vista smoothly. There are plenty of people who run Vista smoothly on 1GB of RAM, and that's what the argument was.

Edited by gigapixels

ViperAFK    797

The only PC vista ran sluggish on for me was this monstrosity my friend built out of an old entry level dell dimension. He bought a HORRIBLE PC-chips MB, a 3.0Ghz p4 (heh the one I'm using now got it for free), 512 MB of crappy generic dell RAM, a 250 Watt PSU, a 40 GB HDD and a 9600 PRO. The MB clocked the p4 down to something like 2.8 Ghz or lower (Mabye 2.6) and a lower FSB. We couldn't even stand the PC up because he was dumb and tried to "Modify" the motherboard to use an aftermarket heatskink. So to keep it on we had to lay it on it's side with the case open. Now if you have a computer like that. Do not run vista. Period. Most relatively modern computers with 1 GB of RAM or more should probably run vista fine depending on wat you are using it for, like the machine in my sig does.

4 GB of RAM would undoubtedly run vista great, but it's really not necessary to go out and buy that much RAM thinking you need it to run vista smoothly unless you have a lot of money to burn or are doing some hardcore gaming.

PL_    19
there is no way to run Vsta with 1gb of RAM for anything serious.

Do you run Vista? I sure as hell can do "anything serious" with it... :s

FATILA    4

Link to article with full blown analysis:

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3034

and link to direct XP vs Vista comparison:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3044

No idea what they were doing, but I've played Supreme Commander on X64 Vista with 2GB @ 1920x1200 with everything on, not one crash and it ran smooth.

obsolete_power    0
I don't insult your posts. You are the one that goes around insulting others when you're the one that doesn't know what you're talking about. I'm tired of the misinformation being thrown around about Vista, and I simply point out the misinformation when I see it. I hope you can see how utterly ridiculous your latest post was, and how you're asking ME to stick to the topic yet you have just had a post that is fully off topic. You really must be oblivious to how incredibly ridiculous you are acting. If I may recall, YOU were the one that attacked me. All that I did at first was say your posts were incorrect, yet you responded with attacking me once that happened.I am not acting like an arrogant ass, thanks, but I am acting like somebody who knows what he's talking about and is simply defending the facts in this thread. You need to figure out your issues and stop becoming all defensive when somebody says you're wrong.

Alright, please enlighten me about this so called misinformation! What exactly was I wrong about? Here are the points are made and you tell me exactly what was incorrect:

1. I said that for the most part, people are having performance issues in games especially the ones that have nVidia cards and that is due mainly because of the bad nvidia drivers

2. Professionals choose to stay on XP because of the incompatibility and lack of support with specialized software.

3. Vista should be bought only if it comes on a new PC (because it would be Vista ready) but if you are thinking of upgrading your previous PC, it is best to wait for more compatibility with hardware

If you say I am wrong about any of this then you better check your sources. This has nothing to do with specific computer hardware/software knowledge but rather it has to do with being aware of your environments and what goes on in the tech world.

I was defensive because I have a right to defend myself when you are correcting me on things that need not be corrected.

gigapixels    99
Alright, please enlighten me about this so called misinformation! What exactly was I wrong about? Here are the points are made and you tell me exactly what was incorrect:

1. I said that for the most part, people are having performance issues in games especially the ones that have nVidia cards and that is due mainly because of the bad nvidia drivers

No, you laid down a blanket statement, not "for the most part," but for everybody that performance is lacking compared to XP. That simply is not true. I never denied performance issues, but I said it wasn't like that for everybody as you had implied.

2. Professionals choose to stay on XP because of the incompatibility and lack of support with specialized software.

I never denied this.

3. Vista should be bought only if it comes on a new PC (because it would be Vista ready) but if you are thinking of upgrading your previous PC, it is best to wait for more compatibility with hardware

I disagree. Compatibility is definitely there, and has been since a few months after Vista's release. Older hardware (I'm talking 5+ years old) might have some compatibility issues, but that doesn't mean Vista will have issues with any computer that's not brand new. If you believe this, then you need to check your sources.

If you say I am wrong about any of this then you better check your sources. This has nothing to do with specific computer hardware/software knowledge but rather it has to do with being aware of your environments and what goes on in the tech world.

Once again, you are allowed to insult my knowledge yet when I do it suddenly I'm being rude? I am extremely aware of what goes on in the tech world, seemingly more than you. You seem to be only aware of those with similar situations as yourself (having issues with Vista), whereas I account for all different situations that people are having. I don't deny there are some issues with Vista, but you seem to believe they're like that for everybody when there are plenty of people, such as myself and many others participating in this thread, who have had excellent performance and zero issues with it. Your experience is not equal to that of everybody else.

I was defensive because I have a right to defend myself when you are correcting me on things that need not be corrected.

If you are to be defensive, don't call names or say something immature such as "pull that ###### out of your ass," as you tend to lose a lot of credibility.

My responses in bold.

Doli    547

What is serious? I can record HDTV (MCE in window mode or minimized) with my ATI HDTV wonder and play a video in another player and the HDTV recording come out fine, no video stuttering at all. I can also use extended desktop to my TV and full screen the video player while the HDTV recording is going on. Games play fine also.

Kingston 1GB ValueRAM

Core 2 Duo 6300 @ 1.8 Ghz stock cooling

ATI X1300

ViperAFK    797

I can multitask, do schoolwork with Office 07 (Word, Exel, powerpoint) Use photoshop for image editiong, and I game alot, vista hasn't been any slower than XP.

DamnLag    0

Huh? I have a pretty dated system (1gb DDR, 1.6Mhz cpu) and I have had zero issues with Vista as of yet.

I really don't care about this debate one way or the other, some like it.. some don't.

But making blanket statements like that is a load of monkey squirt.

obsolete_power    0
My responses in bold.

1. Look at my post 90 which is also available here, notice how I keep referring to most people?

3. What are you talking about? Do you know how many people complain about drivers with Sound Blaster cards? Sound randomly crapping out in game, distorted sound...Also, what about people with integrated cards? I have read so many articles about integrated sound cards (popular ones) that still have beta drivers....Look how many tech experts are saying this! In my previous posts I mentioned Leo Laporte and Paul Thurott but there are others. So you only want to believe what you think and because your system runs well, it must mean that most people's systems run well.

My computer was recently upgraded so I have no problem with old hardware and yet I am still going back to XP because of all the gaming problems I have. I hate having to keep running games in XP compatibility. I don't know about you but I am not one to be comfortable with workarounds. With Vista, I kept having to perform workarounds. Now I use a lot of applications like Photoshop and Dreamweaver so those aren't issues but there are lots of things like game betas that for example don't work in Vista, even with the compatibility mode. None of the game betas I ran under Vista could log onto the server and download updates, they all kept giving errors. ALL OF THEM! They ALL work under XP.

.kvn    0

:laugh:

I raise a toast to gigapixels and obsolete_power, thanks for bringing a smile to my face and helping me along with this fine bottle of rioja. Salut.

And well done VipeNess, yes you, who started this thread.

I just wanted to share my story, and even if you are a vet that comes to these forums every second of your life, this wasn't a "to quickly bash Vista in any way"; I just wanted ot share my experience with Vista and anyone that might be wanting to upgrade their machine.

I hope you get a better go at Vista with the new rig you have. It will work, it will run and it will give you happy times.

obsolete_power    0
:laugh:

I raise a toast to gigapixels and obsolete_power, thanks for bringing a smile to my face and helping me along with this fine bottle of rioja. Salut.

And well done VipeNess, yes you, who started this thread.

I hope you get a better go at Vista with the new rig you have. It will work, it will run and it will give you happy times.

Glad I could be of service for your comic relief :)

Colin-uk    135

Thread Closed.