[REL] Vista Game Explorer Editor

Vista Game Explorer Editor  

274 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate VGEE out of 10?

• Excellent (9-10 out of 10)
    • Very Good (8 out of 10)
    • Good (7 out of 10)
    • Not Good Enough (6 and below)
    • I don't have Vista

Maybe there's an issue with you using a Spanish version of Windows. VGEE was initially made with VB .NET 2005 Express - but I converted the project to .NET 2008 Express when making version 2.15. I'm not sure if all the security settings (certificates, manifest files, etc) were carried over properly (since my Windows security is mostly disabled, I use Comodo IS).

On another note, you may have already heard that Google Pages will soon be no more. My various sites hosted there will be moved to Google Sites. This may mean that all the links to the project will no longer work - and the built-in Update-Checker will likely cease functioning. When that happens, I'll release a patch , version 2.15a or something, to address the second issue.

May be that it is because i have only one game installed (The Witcher). Anyway, i don't know how to create a dummy game to begin adding my real games...

VGEE will launch regardless of how many games are detected. If there are none - it will prompt you to add some and then close. The website has all the resources and information you need to get setup.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

Some of you have probably heard that Google is pulling the plug on GooglePages - the service that I have been using to host http://vge.editor.googlepages.com

I won't be using Google Sites for VGEE, the attachments system is not good enough for me, and they don't support me uploading *.exe files.

Please note effective immediately that VGEE's new home will be http://gameeditor.webnode.com

If you also reside on another forum that has a thread about VGEE, could you let them know of the new website there as well? I did a quick Google Search earlier today and there's heaps of sites linking to my old site (and some linking directly to very old builds of VGEE).

You're helping out with this should also hopefully push the new site to the top of the Google Search Result listing for 'Vista Game Explorer Editor', where my old site has been sitting for a long time now. I don't care about it being number 1, but it should make it to the first page before everyone wonders what happened to the old site.

More importantly, the Update Checker system in VGEE Beta 2.11 to 2.15 will not work when the site gets moved accross. I've therefore released version 2.15a so that it checks the new site now.

Google say that http://vge.editor.googlepages.com will redirect to http://sites.google.com.site/???? when it's moved next month. If possible, I'll add a redirect to the Google Sites page so that peoplce end up and the new WebNode site.

So, what do you think of the new site? It's not 100% complete as far as I'm concerned, but it'll do for now. Your suggestions for it are welcome here. If you use an RSS reader, feel free to add http://www.gameeditor.webnode.com/rss/news-.xml to it.

Not much EE news, working on it slowly. I'll keep everyone updated via the RSS function on my site later on.

Regards

Ryan

• 4 months later...

Hello,

sorry when I try to launch vgee I got this error message:

**************Exception Text **************

System.NullReferenceException.

in VGEE.frmMain.frmMain_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

in System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)

in System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

in System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

in System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

in System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

in System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Assembly loaded**************

mscorlib

Versione assembly: 2.0.0.0

Versione Win32: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)

Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

Vista Game Explorer Editor

Versione assembly: 0.2.1.5

Versione Win32: 0.2.1.5

Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vista%20Game%20Explorer%20Editor/Beta%202.x/Vista%20Game%20Explorer%20Editor.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Versione assembly: 8.0.0.0

Versione Win32: 8.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)

Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms

Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

System.Configuration

Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary

Versione assembly: 1.0.0.0

Versione Win32: 1.0.0.0

Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vista%20Game%20Explorer%20Editor/Beta%202.x/Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary.DLL

mscorlib.resources

Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

System.Windows.Forms.resources

Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_it_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

My config is windows vista ultimate 32bit with sp2. I already installed .Net Framework 3.5 with sp1 and visual c++ redistributable.

What can I do?

Thank you

• 6 months later...

Is Ryan still active regarding the Game Explorer Editor? I want to thank you for your efforts. I was quite pleased with the results on my Windows 7 system when VGE successfully added and edited the box art of some of the "old" games that did not show up after they were installed.

post-274334-12721774886871.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think he left this project long ago pitty as he had some great ideas for the next version but that was almost a year ago and nothing has been seen since shame:(

• 4 weeks later...

Hey folks, I hope you don't mind a bit of a bump. However, I spent several hours today trying to fix a broken Drag 'n' Drop on Windows Game Explorer and, at long last, I was successful. Since in all that time of searching, I never saw a solution posted, I thought I would share. I have no idea if this fixes all causes of the problem, but it fixed it for me, so I hope it helps someone else:

The vast majority of the registry blocks regular user accounts from editing it. One exception turns out to be the user-specific keys for the Games Explorer. The WGE keys for games you drag in are all located under:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\S-user id\{Unique Game IDs}

The S-?-?-??-????? key and everything under it needs to be set to Full Access for the user account. Unfortunately, GameUX is set to be modified by administrator only. If you were to rename one of the keys, or export and reimport it, anything of that nature, the new key you make inherits the parent's permissions. Suddenly, drag 'n' drop doesn't work any more, and even programs like VGEE toss errors.

To fix it, you can either export your account settings to a new user, copy your settings and files over, and let windows handle it, or you can fix the permissions. I chose the latter - I made a temporary account and dragged a game into its WGE just to see what its registry settings were like. You can use its settings as a template, but in short you need to:

- Right-click on the user ID key (S-???) and go to Permissions...

- Click Advanced, and uncheck the 'include inheritable permissions'

- Select Remove from the box that pops up

- Still on advanced, select to replace children's permissions with inheritable permissions from this object

- Add Administrator and your user-level account.

- Highlight each of those and click Full Access under the Allow column

If you don't feel comfortable replacing child permissions all at once, just remember to check any subkeys and repeat the above for each of them. It may seem cumbersome, but to me it seemed better than monkeying around with transferring the account, especially if you're relatively comfortable in the registry. Good luck!

• 2 years later...

If I may also bump this thread... :)

Someone said they still use VGEE and asked for a feature that seemed simple enough to add, plus there were a few untidy unhandled exceptions in the code so I've read through it for the first time in about 3 years (2.15a was released in May 2009) and have uploaded 2.16. As far as I can tell it works fine on my Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 PC that still has a few games installed.

Before I make the update public (i.e. allow the program to see a new version and surprise however many people still use this) I'd prefer to have a few more people use it and test for bugs. Despite being called VGEE I haven't tested 2.16 on Vista at all (does anyone still use it?).

If you come across any unhandled exceptions could you please PM them to me along with a screenshot of your Games folder, and a basic description of your operating system, and what you were doing in VGEE at the time. It would be nice to wrap this program up once and for all.

Feel free to post screenshots of your great looking Game Explorer's as well. Would be even better if you've got a more up-to-date before and after shot that I could perhaps use on the website.

http://gameeditor.webnode.com/

http://gameeditor.webnode.com/news/vgee-2-16-released/