[REL] Vista Game Explorer Editor

Vista Game Explorer Editor  

274 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate VGEE out of 10?

• Excellent (9-10 out of 10)
    • Very Good (8 out of 10)
    • Good (7 out of 10)
    • Not Good Enough (6 and below)
    • I don't have Vista

I'm still having the same problems, although I think they are the fault of the Game Explorer itself.

I can't drag files or shortcuts into the Game Explorer. It's like it's locked or something.

Also, I installed the Crysis demo which the Game Explorer registered automatically along with all the necessary information, but VGEE still says I have no games registered in the Game Explorer :pinch: This is driving me quite insane...

Does this demo have the 'Games for Windows' logo? If so, then the game is not compatible with VGEE (you even can't do it manually in the registry). I had a similar game (Trackmania United) which got added like that (although I didn't think it had the label, but anyway). The only resolution is to remove the game from your VGE and add it in as a custom game from scratch using VGEE. Meaning that the game cannot be included as a game added automatically by Vista. The game appears to get added automatically, but the information is NOT downloaded from the Internet, rather it's added via the GDK or something else. Such games also reside in another part of the registry, hidden from VGEE.

Does this demo have the 'Games for Windows' logo? If so, then the game is not compatible with VGEE (you even can't do it manually in the registry). I had a similar game (Trackmania United) which got added like that (although I didn't think it had the label, but anyway). The only resolution is to remove the game from your VGE and add it in as a custom game from scratch using VGEE. Meaning that the game cannot be included as a game added automatically by Vista. The game appears to get added automatically, but the information is NOT downloaded from the Internet, rather it's added via the GDK or something else. Such games also reside in another part of the registry, hidden from VGEE.

I'm not sure how to tell if a demo has the 'Games for Windows' logo, but it downloaded the cover art as well as the system rating and requirement. The GameExplorer has also downloaded cover and information for Age of Empires: The WarChiefs and The Asian Dynasties, but VGEE still says I have no games in the GameExplorer and thus won't let me run the program.

All the icons in the shot below were automatically added. I still can't drag any icons into the GameExplorer.

vgeeerrorgj4.th.jpg

One thing that stood out to me in your screenshot is that the Crysis demo has the System WEI rating recommendations - a feature that can be added via the GDK. On my PC - none of my games show that info (apart from Solitaire, etc). Perhaps that's because I'm in Australia (I don't get any ESRB ratings on my PC either).

Here is an official list of Games for Windows - http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/default.aspx

I have released VGEE Beta 2.12a - a quick patch for the previous version to fix a few things I overlooked last time:

> Removed those extra messageboxes you get when fixing a game

> Fixed the update checker so that it doesn't automatically download and run newer versions.

> Added a feature to the update checker so that I can describe whats new about the updated version of VGEE when you are asked if you want to get it.

> The installation for VGEE Beta 2.12a now defaults to %ProgramFiles%\Vista Game Explorer Editor\VGEE Beta 2.x - so unless I release Beta 3 tomorrow you won't have to keep keep updating the desktop shortcut. When I release Beta 2.12b or 2.13 - we'll find out if everything overwrites properly or not (unless you change the install path) :)

Enjoy your weekend - please email any bugs you might find in this new version. Just run VGEE Beta 2.12 and it will download the new version for you.

Ryan

Just posting some news regarding a feature long-promised that a lot of users will be happy about - and that is exporting game info.

So far I have added the following features to my unreleased version of VGEE:

--> Have written code to export games into a new file format - .VGI (which stands for Vista Game Info)

--> Added code to create file associations and icons for .VGI and .VGC

--> I'm planning on using the .VGC extension for backing up all games at once (Vista Game Collection)

--> I have written code to compress both registry info and the BoxArt into a .VGI file, and to reverse the operation.

I still need to work on the following before this feature can be released:

--> Creating a VGC file

--> Importing/Opening VGI and VGC files

PS - Note to new users: Before voting that VGEE isn't good enough, please be aware that with the latest versions of VGEE I have been releasing them to everyone at the same time. In the past I used to use a few Beta testers to find bugs that I missed. If you want to be a Beta tester please email me. I prefer to have Gmail users as my Beta testers as I rarely use MSN nowadays.

Below are what the associated icons look like at their largest size. The VGC icon is by M$ - I created the VGI icon by combining 2 M$ icons together.

post-230055-1194933091.jpg

Hi all.

If you want to beta-test VGEE Beta 2.13, it is now released. Just run your version of VGEE to get the update.

Please note the following about importing games using the new features. All games that are imported overwrite an existing game (that get's put back in your VGE). This means that it is probably not a good idea to use the new Import function for all your games that download BoxArt automatically, as they would loose their ability to be chosen in the Wizard page.

In theory, we should also be able to upload exported VGI files here and use them in different PC's and different usernames. Please note that I have not tested this function at all - so please feel free to upload a VGI file for me and I'll see if any code needs changing or not. In this circumstance, VGEE checks to see if the VGI file you're importing points to an existing .exe file on your HDD. If you don't have the game, or you installed it elsewhere, then VGEE imports the game anyway and loads it up automatically for you to change the AppExePath. If you don't do this, then the next time you open your VGE the imported game will be removed.

Important - ensure your VGE is closed when importing games.

I have not written code for using VGC files, and am not sure if I should bother. I could import/export everything - but I'm not 100% sure if importing everything at the same time will work 100%. If it did, then it would only be for your own PC (no sharing VGC files).

I'm also looking for someone to recreate my VGI icon. Basically mine looks crap if you notice the white colours don't match. And if you put a VGI icon on your desktop you can see through half of it. Anyone is welcome to make the icon and upload it here for me to include in the next version of VGEE.

VGEE Beta 2.13 also fixes a few other minor bugs, so feel free to use it without trying the Import function if you wish.

Awaiting feedback (hopefully it's all positive) :)

Do you think we should make a thread (or webpage) that hosts a number of VGI files that have complete detail (ie the correct release date, country, and publisher info, etc) - since most users may not be bothered to check those details?

Anyone is welcome to go ahead and create the site if they want. Don't need my permission (but it would make sense to link to VGEE).

PS - Does anyone know if there is such a site where you register a file extension with Microsoft so that if someone downloads a VGI file without VGEE Windows XP or Vista will tell them they need VGEE?

Thank for the latest version. I need to redo all mine because of a fatal error in the beta before this release :( Anyways..not as much to do since I uninstalled lots of games in favour of November's platoon of games. I will post my screenshot in a bit!

OMFG! I hate this....Problem:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Badhaso\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\{DD7A9925-D665-4B12-B2A1-6EF8D796FD69}\SupportTasks\Home Page.url'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)

at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append)

at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)

at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding)

at System.IO.File.WriteAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding)

at System.IO.File.WriteAllText(String path, String contents)

at VGEE.frmMain.AddNewGameToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.MenuStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

Assembly Version: 0.2.1.3

Win32 Version: 0.2.1.3

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vista%20Game%20Explorer%20Editor/Beta%202.x/Vista%20Game%20Explorer%20Editor.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vista%20Game%20Explorer%20Editor/Beta%202.x/Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Does this: 'C:\Users\Badhaso\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\{DD7A9925-D665-4B12-B2A1-6EF8D796FD69}\SupportTasks\Home Page.url'.

Mean that in the Oblivion folder (found out that that code means it's Oblivion) I need to add a webpage file with points to the homepage....? Will that fix the problem. An answer would be nice before I take action an corrupt my Game Registry Files...Well what the heck I might as well do it. Wish me luck :p

OMG IT WORKS! Thanks alot of the new version!

Another ERROR:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Badhaso\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\{9BD50CE9-D3EC-4418-A2F2-971C886DF9A2}\SupportTasks\Home Page.url'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)

at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append)

at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)

at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding)

at System.IO.File.WriteAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding)

at System.IO.File.WriteAllText(String path, String contents)

at VGEE.frmMain.AddNewGameToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.MenuStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

Assembly Version: 0.2.1.3

Win32 Version: 0.2.1.3

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vista%20Game%20Explorer%20Editor/Beta%202.x/Vista%20Game%20Explorer%20Editor.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vista%20Game%20Explorer%20Editor/Beta%202.x/Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Oblivion Keep deleting the file...I found out every time I need to add a game I have to redo the steps above. So anyone with Oblivion. Heed this warning.

Hey Badie05

I just changed the code regarding that Homepage.url file in this release. I thought I had wrong before but it doesn't look any better atm.

Can you tell me what you were doing in VGEE when that happened? I'll need to work out what's happening and fix it for VGEE Beta 2.13a :)

I tried to add a new entry: TimeShift and I got the error in my first error post. Then I looked around and found out the everytime I added a new game that the Home Page.url was deleted along with the "0" folder and the SupportTasks folder.

This "no games" error is really driving me nuts. I have 5 games in the folder =_=

It must have something to do with how my Game Explorer seems to be locked from editing. Why would this be?

My best suggestion would be to create a new Windows Account and try set it up on that. I've recently created and deleted extra accounts for doing testing, and on 2 of the accounts I also couldn't do anything to the VGE - the VGE wouldn't even download BoxArt from the net (no matter which technique I used to add the games).

All of you who are having problems could also try taking ownership of your C:\ (or the drive that has Windows installed on it)

http://www.google.com/search?q=vista+take+...amp;startPage=1

Badie05 - I can't work on fixing the problem until you give me more info on it. The error message is one thing, but I need to know what you were doing when it came up, whether or not you had stuff in the Publisher/Developer URL textboxes or not, and which version of VGEE it was.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the great program Ryan R. Even with your program it took quite some time to get all my games setup properly, but the end result is great.

Question though, is this enough for backing up all our hard work?

Backup HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\S-1-5-21-1192889179-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXX folder.

Backup C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\GamesBoxArt folder.

So when I re-install Windows I just install my games then import the .reg file and copy the box art. Am I missing anything?

No - that's everything.

However I can't gurantee that everything will work 100% when you put it back in a new Windows installation (never tested it though). I would also assume that you would need to change the user-sid in the reg file to the new one if there's a difference.

Backup [GameExplorer\GamesBoxArt [/color]folder.

Don't just backup the GamesBoxArt folder - you'll need to backup the parent directory (that has all the folders with GUIDs in them)

I would also assume that you would need to change the user-sid in the reg file to the new one if there's a difference.

Don't just backup the GamesBoxArt folder - you'll need to backup the parent directory (that has all the folders with GUIDs in them)

Thanks! I overlooked that. Not planning on formatting anytime soon, but in the event that I do I'll post here how the backup goes.

And again thanks for the program! You made my game selection pretty and fun! LoL

post-197277-1195686500_thumb.jpg

Edited by sean222