Buying my first HDTV, small one

I have a friend who flipped out when I mentioned prices for HDTVs...he was like WHOA that much for a TV?!?! Almost made me feel guilty for wanting to spend a lot of money for something I don't really NEED, heh.

Anyways, the main thing I'm buying it for is the fact I have a 27" Toshiba tube TV, a very amazing set mind you, but I plan to move soon and don't want to take it with me. In the mean time I've made one of the rooms in this apartment into a "gaming room" and don't require a very large screen, at least I don't think.

I don't have a huge budget, looking to spend less than 500 CAD (I know that's not much in the HDTV world, but I have to pay my rent and bills and don't want to drain every last penny from my savings).

So I was looking at the Vizio VX20L, very featured packed and definately the best 20-incher one could find, and it's $345 for a refurbished one in the TigerDirect store. Was hoping to pick one of those up, the only thing is I wonder if it will be big enough. I have a Wii that I intend to hook up to it (another reason, I'd like to have my games in widescreen and 480p). I'd be sitting about 2-3 feet away from it only, and it's quite a wide television compared to others, and especially compared to my 19" computer monitor. I'll buy the 26" set if it's in the store and not too much more.

My main question here is has anybody played a Wii on this size of screen, and will I be dissapointed in changing from a 27" tube to a 20" LCD just for some better quality and more portability? Also, if it works out, I'd like to purchase an upcoverting DVD player or the Toshiba HD-DVD player at some point.

This?isn't a bad TV for the price (manufacutuers product page). My buddy just picked up a 32" of the same brand and it looks pretty good, especially with his 360 on it. $200 off right now which puts it right in your $500 budget.

Keep in mind a Wii isn't really made for HDTV's, so it's not going to lookthat> much better, at least compared to say a 360 going from an SDTV to HDTV

I've considered those, although either one of the Vizios still seems like a better buy. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edit: Yeah, I know Wii wasn't made for HD, but the additional brightness and clarity and being in widescreen still seems nice to me. Also, watching widescreen movies on a tube TV is really starting to tick me off, heh. It's not like I get 27" of height anyways.

Out of small sets on the market, Vizio and Westinghouse will probably be your best bets. Unfortunately, there's not much else to speak of in your price range.

True. Anyone else have experience playing Wii on a 20 inch television? It's a pretty nice size when you sit up close enough, I think.

True. Anyone else have experience playing Wii on a 20 inch television? It's a pretty nice size when you sit up close enough, I think.

I play my 360 on my 19" Samsung pc monitor. Big enough for me.

I play it on the same monitor as him, and as long as your 7ft away or less its fine

You of all - I thought you would have had a few dusin 100" flatscreens tvs of all flavours :p

You of all - I thought you would have had a few dusin 100" flatscreens tvs of all flavours :p

Customers used to tell me that all the time. My reply is always, "I work at Best Buy. I can't afford what I sell" lol.

Customers used to tell me that all the time. My reply is always, "I work at Best Buy. I can't afford what I sell" lol.

you get a pretty good discount tho dont you?

you get a pretty good discount tho dont you?

Like I said, I work at Best Buy, lol. I don't get paid enough, discount or not. It doesn't really affect my love of the technology, though.

Alright guys, thanks. I'm going to pick up this Vizio TV as soon as my local TigerDirect has it in stock again (it's $345!). Seen it twice now and didn't buy it, been slapping myself since they were out of stock! I plan to hook up a PS3 to it as well as my Wii, and I think it'll work out well since I dislike split screen gaming to begin with (but I love online).