Vista 64-bit slower than 32-bit

Update Main problem fixed, A bigger problem emerges

New problem

System specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo e6600

4 GB's of OCZ Platinum PC2 7200 Dual CH 4-4-4-15 Ram

3 WD Raptor X in Raid 0 (Is this putting too much strain on cpu? Would a dedicated raid controller make much of a diff?)

Nvidia 8800 Gtx

Creative XFi Professinal

ProSaitek Gaming Keyboard

Logitech G7 MouseXbox wireless adapter.

I think thats it, ask me if you need any more info.

Company of Heroes Loads in a window instaid of full screen, setting to full screen mode works for about 5 seconds, screen goes black when trying to load a lvl. Sound buzzes even with no music or sound on(speakers buzz constantly from boot). When music is playing, it cannot be heard.

I'm in a rush to get out mountain biking so sorry if this post is not typed properly

hope this info helps

Thanks for help,

Brodie

Old problem

Hi,

I bought 32 bit Vista OEM on the day it was released, no problems.

Now, I won second place in Vanishing Point andd recived an Xbox 360 and Windows Vista Ultimate.

Short story even shorter, Company of Heroes was patched to 1.7, and I found out it crashed with full graphics settings. Reading on Relicnews forums, I found out a switch to 64 bit vista was nessesary (cant remember why).

Today I wiped my hard drive and installed 64 bit vista,

It takes/is:

2 times as long to boot as 32 bit

Cpu usage is almost always at 100%

Programs freeze

Unbearable to even open internet explorer (Writing this on laptop)

A picture of experiance index from 32 bit so you know my specs (Actualy 4 Gigs of ram now):

performanceindexxn0.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've just spent 8 hours installing vista because its so darn slow.

Sorry about spelling, I'm on my laptop and have big fingers.

Edited by Boifido

Are you sure you have updated drivers for the motherboard chipset and other devices? Updated all firmware on various devices?

Well I havent updated the mobo in a while but I dont think i have any devices that need firmware

Thanks for the reply :yes:

Could it be that I have 4 Gigs of ram?

My motherboard is a P5N 32 SLi SE Deluxe.

I'm wondering if the 32 means it only works with 32 bit properly and because of that only supports 2 gigs of ram?

No. That is just a name/model.

Whew, I was starting to get really angry there. I just noticed as a sidenote is not as important as the first question, my chipset is a nForce4 SLI Intel. Does that mean it doesent support full speed x16 dual SLi?

Also keep in mind that Vista has a bunch of stuff it has to get out of the way the first few days of use, and I've found that the background i/o performance doesn't always work as well as I'd like. (Maybe it's because I use a laptop and the hard drive or controller might not be too friendly with it, but I noticed abysmal performance the first day or so when I reformatted Vista a few weeks ago.)

It's so laggy I cant even open up task manager... Computer is basicaly unresponive.

The post about vista taking a few days to get running:

I have installed windows over 50 times in the last year(prolly a 100) >.<. Of all my vista installs(32 bit) my computer was superspeed instantly.

If Vista reports 100% CPU usage then something is definitely wrong. As I side note I run Vista x64 on my desktop and prefer it to the x86 version.

Try this, boot up in safe mode, then go to start and type msconfig. Elevate if necessary. Change startup selection to "Diagnostic Startup" and reboot. See what your cpu usage is then. If all is good (normal CPU usage) go back to MSConfig and do a Selective Startup which loads system services but not startup items. If all is still good let us know.

Make sure you have ur graphics card drivers INSTALLED the first thing or else EVERYTHING WILL BE SLOWWWWW...yes even copying a file!

On a side note, vista x64 uses more RAM than x86. I think one main reason is because I have 32-bit softwares installed.

I have the latest nvidia drivers installed as of half an hour ago(so after windows update) and still slow as hell.

Im working on the ms config, the start menu finaly loaded >.<

Update:

First round of msconfig completed, Cpu is around 4% to 80%. Startup is still slow as hell (4 times slower)

Begining round 2.

Edited by Boifido

Round 2 completed cpu is at 8% to 80% and booting took forever, thought loading was done but about 2 minutes after the welcome center popped up.

UPDATE:

MOUSE HAS STARTED LAGGING AND FREEZING

Performance is still better than fully loaded, trying fully loaded again

Back to full.

%80 - 100% cpu usage, but this time stuff runs!! (not that fast thought)

Still would like help to make it more like my old 32 bit install and less crappy :)

Thanks everybody for help so far, sorry to sound crabby, I was fiddleing with this for 8 hours so im a bit irritated :p

Can you show me your device manager (expand all the devices).

Is this what you wanted?

post-195718-1185513159_thumb.jpg

warwagon: device manager to see processes how?

have you tried reformatting your x64 installation? sounds like it's just a bad install.

if you already did that, then your hardware must have bad drivers for x64. I've ran Vista x64 many times with no problems.

have you tried reformatting your x64 installation? sounds like it's just a bad install.

if you already did that, then your hardware must have bad drivers for x64. I've ran Vista x64 many times with no problems.

Yes!!! I had installed a few months ago and performance was horrible but i just deleted the partition and thought nothing of it.

Now that COH needs it, I really want it to work.

If you looked at my original post, I posted my experience index, standard hardware, 8800 gtx, creative sound card, stuff like that.

Update:

Windows Experience Index Cant even finish its evaluation, it crashes... PLEASE HELP :angry:

Thanks for help so far :rofl:

Hell I'll Even let somone remote assist me if that will help. Screw with my computer, put a virus on, :jump: it might even help performance, worst thing that can happen, I'll have to reinstall (which iI might have to do anyway)

Im not kidding if remote assist will help, I'm game.

Update:

Next time when updating windows always buy an AK-47.

For usefull information see post above^

I am sitting here clicking F5, response time will be immediate :shiftyninja: :book: :pc: :argh:

Computer is almost fully locked up(still on laptop)

Which process is using so much of your CPU? I couldn't find you say that anywhere in this thread. have you tried safe mode? does it perform normally there?

fire up task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) goto to the processes tab, click "show processes from all users" then click on the label for the CPU column. This will order all the processes by CPU usage. Then you can post the details here for further help.