Vista 64-bit slower than 32-bit

Do you have your chipset drivers installed? Don't use the one that came with Windows Vista. Here is my device manager (Vista 32-bit). Before when I had Vista 64-bit installed it (device manager) looks the same as my 32-bit right now. Have you checked what the 2 "!" marks are?

post-232713-1185516115_thumb.jpg

Chipset drivers? I downloaded some nforce 4 sli driver from the nvidia site, is that what your talking about?ou mean !!

Have you checked what the 2 "!" marks are?

what do you mean !!! ???

Should be noted it takes about 10 minutes to boot up, thats what im doing now

will have screenies in sec

I would get the latest x64 drivers from your manufacturers website for your chipset, video, and network. Then do whatever has to be done to make them available during windows installation. That might mean making a custom install disc.

If you can't do that, at least make sure you install your chipset drivers absolute first before any other hardware / software.

post-195718-1185517225_thumb.jpg

Hope this satisfies

What would chipset drivers be for me?

would they be the nforce 4 sli intel from the nvidia.com website?

My motherboard's chipset is GM965 and southbridge is 82801HBM (ICH8-ME) as you can see those devices under "System Devices" in the Device Manager screen shot that I posted to you. I believe right now your system is using the "Generic" windows drivers. So you should find out what kind of chipset you have and install it see if that helps.

I,m at the asus download page for my mobo and all of the nvidia chipset drivers are for windows xp only and not even 64 bit really :(

Downloaded a 64 bit chipset driver but it wont install on vista.Downloaded a 64 bit chipset driver but it wont install on vista.

I think i know what's your problem. In device manager you have nforce4 ata/sata drivers installed? How's that possible? Also what's that ACPI utility device installed? I noticed that your Raid called Nvidia Stripe 492Gb uses generic drivers, better say drivers installed by Vista.

Sorry about not responding, I had to get some sleep after being awake for 20 hours and fiddleing with this for 12 hours :crazy:

What do you mean nforce 4 sata drivers? What is the problem with that?

I have installed the nForce 4 sli intel drivers from the nvidia website, I cant find chipset drivers on asus that run with vista, I tried downloading a 64 bit one that said it would work with 64 bit XP, but it understandably gave an error message.

Nothing on asus's site for my mobo is made for vista, period >.<

To the original poster:

You said you have 4 gigs of ram... if so, are they 4 pieces of 1GB dimms? If so, then try removing only one of them, as to leave only three banks used, and one unused. Boot you computer that way, and see if the problem persists.

If it works correctly with an open bank, reply to this post, and ill help you sort the problem. It seems its a documented problem that a lot of people are experiencing, myself included.

Mr.Ed

why are the only disk drives listed as nvidia stripe and ur usb device ?

System specs:Intel Core 2 Duo e66004 GB's of OCZ Platinum PC2 7200 Dual CH 4-4-4-15 Ram3 WD Raptor X in Raid 0 (Is this putting too much strain on cpu?)Nvidia 8800 GtxCreative XFi Professinal ProSaitek Gaming KeyboardLogitech G7 MouseXbox wireless adapter.I think thats it, ask me if you need any more info.

To the original poster:You said you have 4 gigs of ram... if so, are they 4 pieces of 1GB dimms? If so, then try removing only one of them, as to leave only three banks used, and one unused. Boot you computer that way, and see if the problem persists.If it works correctly with an open bank, reply to this post, and ill help you sort the problem. It seems its a documented problem that a lot of people are experiencing, myself included.Mr.Ed

Doing now!

I will be Super ****ed if it is my ram and I can only use 3 Gigs, I spent i think over $500 dollars on the gigs

why are the only disk drives listed as nvidia stripe and ur usb device ?
Thats raid 0 for the stripe, and the flash drive is for putting all my screen shots onto to post onto neowin on my laptop.

(will revise sentence fragments and bad spelling later)

Help!!! I tried removing the 1 gig and my case wouldent boot, so i put it in and MY Computer still wont booot!!!!!

(Thread will be cleaned from erroros and spelling after problem is solved)

Then you should check the remaining ram for it to be seated properly. Remove them, and insert them again.

Also, always remember to discharge yourself by touching an unpainted part of the computer case... static is a ram killer, as well as other things.

Mr.Ed

Got my computer booting again.

CRAP With 3 gigs of ram it boots in less than 10 seconds :laugh:

What should I do now?

I really want to use 4 Gigs since they were so expensive and for direct x 10 gaming and other tasks!

I love Vista 64 bit now, it's faster than 32 bit for me, now I'm directing my anger to my mobo (Is this the correct place for anger focusing? :happy:)

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

Then you should check the remaining ram for it to be seated properly. Remove them, and insert them again.

Also, always remember to discharge yourself by touching an unpainted part of the computer case... static is a ram killer, as well as other things.

Mr.Ed

Yup, this thread makes me look like a computer idiot, normaly I can solve problems, but I'm quite tired of troubleshooting this.

I have built two computers by myself and know about static, but after doing beta testing for various programs and beta testing vista from beta 2, I'm tired of reinstalling windows so I'm not thinking properly this time.

Thanks for your help so far

Edited by Boifido

Could it be that I have 4 Gigs of ram?

My motherboard is a P5N 32 SLi SE Deluxe.

I'm wondering if the 32 means it only works with 32 bit properly and because of that only supports 2 gigs of ram?

Hi, I had this same exact problem with with my P5N32 SLI Deluxe

The problem is with the BIOS does not fully support 64 EMT part of the cpu its why it runs so slow, so you will need to upgrade to a better MB to use 64 Bit OS. (On boot up the screen it should say 64 EMT detected or something slimier)

Good luck

All right. If it works with the 3 gigs, the you have the problem of ram addressing. You said you have an nforce motherboard... right? Then , you have to go to the Bios settings and look for the extended memory addressing. Almost always is: "Extended memory remapping". Just check for memory remapping, and enable it.After enabling it, and rebooting to check everything is working normally, shut down the computer. Install the 4th memory again, and boot.

See if that helps.Remember to leave the memory remapping enabled for it to work with the 4 memory modules.Let me know how this works.

Hi, I had this same exact problem with with my P5N32 SLI DeluxeThe problem is with the BIOS does not fully support 64 EMT part of the cpu its why it runs so slow, so you will need to upgrade to a better MB to use 64 Bit OS. (On boot up the screen it should say 64 EMT detected or something slimier)Good luck

Im sorry, but that is just not true. Thats misinformation.

He's motherboard is more than capable to run 64 bit OS.

Mr.Ed

Im sorry, but that is just not true. Thats misinformation.

He's motherboard is more than capable to run 64 bit OS.

Mr.Ed

misinformation? how about a big fat NO

It doesn't matter how capable the board is in running 64 bit os or not if the BIOS doesn't fully support 64 bit cpu than 64 bit os willrun slow. My old P5N32 SLI Deluxe is also capable running the 64 bit os, I couldn't becuase the bios support for wasn't their.

Problem Status: Fixed

Thank you, to everyone who helped.

A special thank you to Mr.ed who helped deliver the killing blow the the problem. :shiftyninja:

"The help was so good it made me feel like an idiot, I can do alot on computers but I failed at this."

My computer is running faster than ever and I am enjoying Vista x64 alot.

I will be getting a subscription to Neowin to support the site.

Thanks for the help and patience :) ,

Brodie

It doesn't matter how capable the board is in running 64 bit os or not if the BIOS doesn't fully support 64 bit cpu than 64 bit os willrun slow. My old P5N32 SLI Deluxe is also capable running the 64 bit os, I couldn't becuase the bios support for wasn't their.

You do realize how preposterous that claim is, correct? If the BIOS didn't fully support 64-bit then Vista wouldn't run at all.

It doesn't matter how capable the board is in running 64 bit os or not if the BIOS doesn't fully support 64 bit cpu than 64 bit os run run slow. My old P5N32 SLI Deluxe is also capable running the 64 bit os, I couldn't becuase the bios support for wasn't their.

Ok. Take it easy... You obviously have had your own set of problems. I respect that. But thats not his problem, because as you can read, when he removed 1 memory module, his Vista x64 worked fast again.

And in respect to Bios support for x64 OS, they dont necessarily need to say EMT64 for it to support it. If they dont support it, them most probably the x64 installation will tell you that that version isnt supported on your computer.

Problem Status: Fixed

Thank you, to everyone who helped.

A special thank you to Mr.ed who helped deliver the killing blow the the problem. :shiftyninja:

My computer is running faster than ever and I am enjoying Vista x64 alot.

I will be getting a subscription to Neowin to support the site.

Thanks for the help and patience :) ,

Brodie

Youre most that welcome. Glad to help.

Mr.Ed