• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Vista 64-bit slower than 32-bit

Boifido    4

The only problem now is that games wont work and i have no sound :argh: :argh: :bounce: :angry: :ninja:

BoDEAN    68
Could it be that I have 4 Gigs of ram?

My motherboard is a P5N 32 SLi SE Deluxe.

I'm wondering if the 32 means it only works with 32 bit properly and because of that only supports 2 gigs of ram?

Memory Remapping needs to be ENABLED in the bios.

Fixes the problem.

seethru    28
The only problem now is that games wont work and i have no sound :argh: :argh: :bounce: :angry: :ninja:

how exactly don't they work, what errors, and you have no sound at all? Onboard sound or add in card?

Boifido    4
how exactly don't they work, what errors, and you have no sound at all? Onboard sound or add in card?

System specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo e6600

4 GB's of OCZ Platinum PC2 7200 Dual CH 4-4-4-15 Ram

3 WD Raptor X in Raid 0 (Is this putting too much strain on cpu? Would a dedicated raid controller make much of a diff?)

Nvidia 8800 Gtx

Creative XFi Professinal

ProSaitek Gaming Keyboard

Logitech G7 MouseXbox wireless adapter.

I think thats it, ask me if you need any more info.

Company of Heroes Loads in a window instaid of full screen, setting to full screen mode works for about 5 seconds, screen goes black when trying to load a lvl. Sound buzzes even with no music or sound on(speakers buzz constantly from boot). When music is playing, it cannot be heard.

I'm in a rush to get out mountain biking so sorry if this post is not typed properly

hope this info helps

Thanks for help,

Brodie

Boifido    4

Right now I'm more worried about sound than video.

Most of my games display fine, but I havent heard one actual note coming out of my speakers, just buzzes.

I still cant play Company of heroes which is one of my fave games :(

Edited by Boifido

Boifido    4

No One can help?

Mr.ed    43

Im researching, to see if i find some info....

Mr.Ed

Boifido    4

Me too,

Thanks a bunch for your help!!!

If you have a paypal account....

Pharos    24

LOL

Do you have an X-Fi? If so I remember there's a lot of people complaining that their X-Fi doesn't work with 4gb of ram having that memory remapping option enabled. Let me look into it and will let you know if I find a solution :)

Update: Yeah, seems like that's the problem. Did you download their latest drivers?

http://connect.creativelabs.com/beta/Files...%2020070711.zip

I think this one just got released, it's a beta driver so... be warned. ( I installed this driver just fine, x64 here)

Also you need to disable Vista driver signing in order to install this driver (or any other non-signed driver for that matter)

Turn off Digital Driver Signing Check in Vista:

1. Create a shortcut on the desktop to cmd.exe

(this recipe explains how to create a shortcut if you don't know how)

2. Right-click on the shortcut and select Run as administrator

3. When the command window opens, type or paste the following and press ENTER:

Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

4. Reboot and then try installing the driver.

Initially Vista x64 can be a real pain in the ass but once those few quirks are sorted out it's worth it IMO. I did not have to go through any of that though, my transition to x64 was as seamless as installing the 32-bit version.

Edited by PharosBR

BoDEAN    68
LOL

Do you have an X-Fi? If so I remember there's a lot of people complaining that their X-Fi doesn't work with 4gb of ram having that memory remapping option enabled. Let me look into it and will let you know if I find a solution :)

Update: Yeah, seems like that's the problem. Did you download their latest drivers?

http://connect.creativelabs.com/beta/Files...%2020070711.zip

I think this one just got released, it's a beta driver so... be warned. ( I installed this driver just fine, x64 here)

Also you need to disable Vista driver signing in order to install this driver (or any other non-signed driver for that matter)

Initially Vista x64 can be a real pain in the ass but once those few quirks are sorted out it's worth it IMO. I did not have to go through any of that though, my transition to x64 was as seamless as installing the 32-bit version.

How new are these beta drivers?

Boifido    4

I did what you said but it still says drivers need to be signed... What should i do?

Boifido    4

Update:

It installs fine now, but when i reboot it says i have no audio driver installed and in the taskbar it shows the speaker with an x beside it.

+devHead    2,029

What process is it exactly that is hogging the CPU? If the task manager that comes with Windows doesn't give much information, you can download the Process Explorer from TechNet's Sysinternals site:

Process Explorer Page

It may be Indexing Service running that is taking all your CPU time...

Boifido    4

That problem was solved, now were moving on too Graphics and sound

Mr.ed    43

I read in another forum that some people are having better results with the 2.13 march drivers for X-Fi. You could try it. Apart from that, it appears that Creative know of the problem, but havent addressed it. In the mean time you could remove the 4th memory module, and disable memory remapping, to have everything working again, until Creative sorts it out.

Also, as i read elsewhere, if you want to retain the 4 gigs and memory remapping, you can remove the X-Fi, and use onboard sound until they give support to the Creative card. I know onboard sound is not that good, but is better than nothing and you can retain the 4 gigs in dual channel mode.

Some random guy with your same motherboard said that inserting the X-Fi on the bottom pci slot fixed his problems. You could also try that.

I know your situation sucks... my sympathies.

Mr.Ed

Edited by Mr.ed

Boifido    4

Thanks,

I will try the 2.13 Drivers and if they dont work, I think for me, my best option is to remove the ram.

The only problem I have left now is video. I really appreciate you'r help so far as it's been really effective. Thanks to everyone for helping too!

If you or any of the forum members would be willing to help me on my last problem I would be really greatfull (I already am BTW).

Thank you Neowin!,

Brodie

Boifido    4

If you read my original post, it states I was going to 64 bit vista because of Company of Heroes. (read post above too^)(Find the Simpsons reference)

With the not running *nghey* and the sound problem out of the way, the one thing left to fix is the graphics.

When I start Comapny of Heroes, it starts in windowed mode 100% of the time. Analysts at Relicnews forums have told be my config file is set too fullscreen and even the log shows it starting in fullscreen. (Bad grammer and spelling up ahead) I have to alt enter to full screen, game has not started, alt tab out, alt tab in, click, opening movie plays, menu loads, click options, video, performance test, level loading bar loads up to full and BAM!!!!, black screen, alt tab out, alt tab in, alt ctr esc, end task.

Hope thats enough info to start diagnosing, I have included my dxdiag and the game config and log files,

Brodie

configuration.txtDxDiag.txtwarnings.txt

tnsply100    0
Well I havent updated the mobo in a while but I dont think i have any devices that need firmware

Thanks for the reply :yes:

Errr...Drivers are needed for the *OS*.. you installed the OS, so you need the chipset drivers :)

And your cd/dvd drives all have firmware ;) It may need to be updated if you see strange behavior.

EDIT: read the later posts and realized your problem was fixed.