Looking for 32" HDTV! Need advice!

Hey everyone, not sure if Neowin allows non-PC discussion. If not, can anyone suggest good TV web sites? My current 22" Widescreen LCD from Panasonic is a goner. The colors are inverted, and I've had it since 2001, therefore not interested in investing $$ to repair. Also do I just discard in the garbage when I get rid of it?

Looking to upgrade to a new HDTV, preferably 1080p but 720p works too (is 720p or 1080i better?). Looking for a larger size, 26"-32" works. I def want QAM/NTSC/ATSC tuners built-in, I need at least 1 component hook-up (prefer 2) and HDMI-HDCP. And finally my budget I can't really do much right now, trying to cap it at $1000 but ideally prefer $700-$800 range. I was looking at either 26" or 32" Panasonic, or the 32" Samsung. Usage will be my new HDTV HDMI cable box, Xbox 360 HDMI, and surely Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD (whichever succeeds) at a later date.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am really not sure what to do and need a new TV soon. If you have different specs to suggest, by all means and thank you for any help and tips.

Which country are you buying it in? The model numbers vary greatly and similar model numbers represent completely different sets with companies like Sony.

Thank you, that's the one I am considering.

Which country are you buying it in? The model numbers vary greatly and similar model numbers represent completely different sets with companies like Sony.

I should have identified that, the United States and thanks.

The US model for the set NightCrawler linked to is LN-T3253, so you know. It's actually a very good set, but may be a bit above your price range. You can, however, get the LN-T3242 right there in your range. It's VERY similar to the 53 series and should fit your needs well.

I found the LN-T3253H (does H mean anything?) brand new for $869 with tax/shipping included. In all honestly anything above $500 is beyond my budget, but I have a 22" and knew I wanted to get a larger screen and ultimately what's another $300 or so? I need to keep telling myself that, and the purchase goes on my Chase card with 0% on purchases until April 2008.

How is the Toshisba 32HL67? I see it's only $695, specs wise they both seem the same. Apparently the Toshiba has a 120Hz video rate for faster and clearer video? I can't confirm, and not sure what this spec is called so I can find it.

The Toshiba is ok, but nothing special. Comparing it to the Samsung is a bit unfair since the Samsungs are probably in the top 3 in that size range, right now.

Between the two which is better? The $140 different won't make or break me. The Toshiba is actually $744. According to one site, it has a 14 bit processor for faster and smoother video, and it's a REGZA the top of the line for Toshiba. Does Samsung have a premium line? Ultimately I will go with whatever is better, looking for the best value and features for my dollar and willing to spend more if neccessary. Thanks bang!

I'd still go with the Samsung. You could always stop by your local Best Buy to compare the two. They are both on display.

Why is it they do this? :(

Is there a converter which can tell me what the name of a Sony KDL-32V2500 is in US language? :D

Why is it they do this? :(

Is there a converter which can tell me what the name of a Sony KDL-32V2500 is in US language? :D

Sony KDL-32XBR2, though it's since been replaced with the XBR4.

Sony KDL-32XBR2, though it's since been replaced with the XBR4.

Hmm, are you sure? do designs differ from each continent too?

Because the they dont look alike :s

XBR2

Sony_KDL-32XBR2.jpeg

V2500

foto.jpg

I've been looking at the Samsung LN32R81B or LE32R87BD.

Ideally I'd like the LN, but I can't seem to find any UK stores stocking it. Maybe it isn't available yet?

I'm also looking for a 32" HDTV and my head is hurting from all the different types and brands. Im tossing up between these 2:

Samsung LA32R71BDX

Samsung LA32R81BDX

The prices on the site are out-dated but basically the 71 is slightly more expensive, its sleeker and nicer, and has a 5000:1 contrast ratio.

The 81 has a 8000:1 ratio, and is supposedly a newer model, but is a lot cheaper. Why? is it cause it just looks ****? Doesn't make sense. Help!

With my experience, 1080p is unneccessary with a screen under 40". So if you want to shave some dough off, get a 1080i version.

Please don't call it a 1080i TV. It's a 720p TV.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, I did some research on my own and spent the last few days reading up. I don't know why this is so complicated, I really can't decide and need a new TV within 48 hours. Please help between the Samsung LNT3253H 32" LCD HDTV for $850 USD or the Toshiba REGZA 32HL67U 32" 720p LCD HDTV for $754. Both are bottomline prices. I've read great reviews for both, although a common problem with Sam is the stand gets jammed and wobbly sometimes and saw several complaints about the sound canceling out itself repeatedly. REGZA I didn't see any complaint, and it has an extra HDMI port, apparently the only 32" with 3rd-Gen technology right now, crisper colors and a 14 bit processor versus the 8 bit of Sammy. On the other hand the Sam has a very aesthetically pleasing cabinet finish but the REGZA seems to have a piano shine too. Any advice?

Official Samsung Specs: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/...d=LNT3253HX/XAA

Official Toshiba Specs:http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/lcd/product.asp?model=32HL67U

I just want to tell you that I just bought the Samsung LN-T3253H a couple weeks ago and it is absolutely amazing. I have no regrets buying it. Loads of features, beautiful picture, great sound. I definitely recommend it.