logitec harmony remotes

How do they work? i know you connect them to the net and pick your hardware accordingly but I just bought a new TV and am not sure if it's supported. is there a list of supported software?

if you have a Harmony and you have the software, just look for it on the list.

Logitec has HUGE database of old and new products.

I actually have the software on-hand right now, so what's your TV's brand/model - I'll look it up for you.

If the TV is new and even a remotely known brand, the device will definitely support it. Logitech stays on top of it.

Not to hijack your thread, but which remote are you looking at? Personally, I'm thinking the Harmony 880. From what I've read, minus some negative comments here and there that are expected, the Harmony remotes sound like they work great and most people don't have any problems with compatibility/supportability.

Not to hijack your thread, but which remote are you looking at? Personally, I'm thinking the Harmony 880. From what I've read, minus some negative comments here and there that are expected, the Harmony remotes sound like they work great and most people don't have any problems with compatibility/supportability.

People love them. I had a guy come back to the store, after I sold him one, just to thank me for suggesting it. It takes a bit of time to set up, but once you do, it makes things much easier.

If the TV is new and even a remotely known brand, the device will definitely support it. Logitech stays on top of it.

And if you can't find it on the search you can try pointing the orginal remote at the harmony and pressing a few buttons (software asks you to press certian ones) usally within about 3 or so keys being learnt the remote is able to find a match.

Worked with my harmony 525 and my sky box and cd player :)

People love them. I had a guy come back to the store, after I sold him one, just to thank me for suggesting it. It takes a bit of time to set up, but once you do, it makes things much easier.

Yeah, they are really awesome remotes for the price.

It may take a bit of tweaking to get it set up just right, but damn is it worth it :yes:

If you have a big budge, look at Universal Remotes (yes, that's the brand :p). I haven't used it personally, but I've read a few reviews saying that they are really good too. Basically, those you don't like the Harmony like the Universal Remotes - but they do cost more

For the love of all that's holy, DO NOT BUY A LOGITECH REMOTE!

The software is awful (doesn't work half the time thanks to it being web-based), and Logitech continually removes features that they deem "too confusing" for users. I bought mine because I wanted to be able to map multiple commands to one button. Worked great, until they removed the feature over half a year ago. They've been promising to bring it back, but so far, nothing. From what I've read on the Logitech forums, they've removed a number of other features in the past as well.

Their customer service is crap as well. I called to try and understand what was going on with the multiple commands issue, and not only did the guy on the line have no idea what I was talking about, he made no effort to try to understand and blew me off like a jackass.

Buy something else.

you'll always find a hater or two on the internet

;)

kylejn, if you read my post RIGHT ABOVE YOURS at all.. I clearly state that they are not perfect.

thanks for flaming though :yes:

you'll always find a hater or two on the internet

;)

kylejn, if you read my post RIGHT ABOVE YOURS at all.. I clearly state that they are not perfect.

thanks for flaming though :yes:

I'm not sure you really understand the definition of "flaming." I was not attacking any users, and my arguments against Logitech, while vehement, were supported with specific examples of problems with the product in question.

I read your post before I posted my position on the product, and you said nothing more than that they needed some tweaking to get working right. I felt that did not provide the OP with enough information about the negatives of the product, information that he or she would need to make an informed decision regarding a purchase.

Maybe you should read my post before attacking and accusing me of "flaming."

I love my Harmony. I got the one that matches the Xbox 360, and I couldn't be happier with a remote. Everything is so intuitive, and I personally like the software quite a bit.

I say go for it; you'll love it.

I love my Harmony. I got the one that matches the Xbox 360, and I couldn't be happier with a remote. Everything is so intuitive, and I personally like the software quite a bit.

I say go for it; you'll love it.

Mine doesn't match the xbox360, but it does controll the media functions on it, which i thought was pretty neat since that was something I wasn't expecting it to support.

Harmony Remotes used to be bloody amazing. That is until Logitech got their hands on them. The software is terrible, the remotes are now all super cheap plastic, the LCDs on the colour units are pathetic (small, poor contrast, etc).

If you are determined to get one, buy from a store that lets you take it back if you don't like it (such as Costco).

Without getting into the extremely high priced remotes, what would all of you who do not like Logitech Harmony remotes suggest instead?

*shrugs*

Keep using 3 or 4 remotes until Logitech improves?

Or maybe the Philips SRU9600? I've never used it, but it looks pretty neat and is priced the same as a Harmony.

sorry for the late reply but i forgot i made this thread.

anyways my biggest issue is with my JVC receiver, it's 5+ years old, my dog chewed it up so getting a universal remote that can control that would be awesome. i'm just worried it wont be able to.

sorry for the late reply but i forgot i made this thread.

anyways my biggest issue is with my JVC receiver, it's 5+ years old, my dog chewed it up so getting a universal remote that can control that would be awesome. i'm just worried it wont be able to.

The one thing that the Harmony does have going for it is that it does have a huge database of devices that are compatible with it. I have an old Samsung receiver from about 3 years ago, and it's in the database.