Switching to iTunes?

Michael Lacey

I've decided to make the switch from buying CDs (I haven't bought any in a while) and illegally downloading other music, to legally buying my music from iTunes. However, I just have a couple of very general questions.

1) I've re-ripped all my current CDs using iTunes, and deleted everything else. I was just wondering, what does everyone do with their CDs after they ripped them? I plan to move soon; not sure if I feel the need to lug my CD collection around still?

2) So it's true that if you lose the songs you've downloaded from iTunes that you have to re-buy them again? This forces me to make backups of all albums I buy from iTunes in the future (haven't bought any yet, just making sure that this is what I want to do).

Island Dog
1) I've re-ripped all my current CDs using iTunes, and deleted everything else. I was just wondering, what does everyone do with their CDs after they ripped them? I plan to move soon; not sure if I feel the need to lug my CD collection around still?

I just put them in a case and store them somewhere.

2) So it's true that if you lose the songs you've downloaded from iTunes that you have to re-buy them again? This forces me to make backups of all albums I buy from iTunes in the future (haven't bought any yet, just making sure that this is what I want to do).

Yes. Make backups. There are several ways to go this, but I just copy the iTunes folder to another drive.