Apple Event August 7th, 2007

I don't know if I'm the only one to think this but does iLife '08 seem NOT worth the money for someone who's on '06 right now? I have a great urge to get .Mac cuz I used to do a LOT of photo sharing with Yahoo Photos...now that that's down for good, who knows. But I don't know, I just feel like the only big thing about iLife is iMovie HD and I don't use that at all...and iPhoto still needs to work on organization

ON the other hand....iWork seems definitely worth a lot more of my money now...my only problem is (looking at the demo) is that export formats still are lacking in terms of simple things like transitions (Quicktime works but you can't really depend on school computers having it). Other than that I think it's worth it (and Open XML compatibility)

The one thing I don't like about the new iMacs is how glossy the screen looks. You're going to get terrible glare on that.

Doesn't that only apply when working under bright, direct lighting and/or sunlight, though? Both my MacBook and Dell Inspiron E1405 feature glossy screens, and pose no problems unless I sit outside directly under the Sun. But even then, merely putting the screen at a slight angle lets me see perfectly.

What the heck is the deal with the new RAID card! Just reading some of the griping on a MacRumors discussion board and they're right to complain! I just looked up an HP server order I raised yesterday and to upgrade from the standard onboard disk controller (which only allows RAID 0+1) to a 512MB Battery Backed controller that allows for RAID 0/1/5 and I think up to about 10 disks comes in as a ?104 option, or approx $200.. the Apple controller is $1000 apparently.

What the hell are they playing at?!

Is it true that Apple removed the magnet to hold the Remote on the new iMac? Surely it can't be true can it. :o

iWant. Especially the new keyboard! No more dirt getting stuck in there! And finally non-Apple people will know what I'm talking about when I say the Command key :p

Is it true that Apple removed the magnet to hold the Remote on the new iMac? Surely it can't be true can it. :o

Yea it's gone. I don't know where to put my remote now... Under the display I guess.

Yea it's gone. I don't know where to put my remote now... Under the display I guess.

The iMac's aluminium now. Attach a magnet to the remote!

Why did they remove it? Doesn't make any sense. :wacko:

WTF?! What kind of move is that, removing the Apple Remote holder? :wacko:

Just been trying out iWork, it is a vast improvement over 06 and now with numbers beats down Office, although I really want to see 2008 because that was looking good.

aluminum isn't magnetic

Plastic isn't magnetic, doesn't mean they couldn't impliment the feature into the Al iMacs.

the stream is up of the event does anyone have a link to the download ?

When I opened up the stream in QuickTime 7 Pro I had the option of saving it + all external media. Either way, the stream cuts out just before the Q&A session.

When I opened up the stream in QuickTime 7 Pro I had the option of saving it + all external media. Either way, the stream cuts out just before the Q&A session.

Unfortunately, "external media" does not include the streamed video.

I can't decide whether I can live without a numeric keypad or not. I don't get why they removed it :(

So it's lighter and more compact. Although it still would have made sense to sell a wireless version of the full-sized keyboard, complete with at least one USB 2.0 port on it.

You know there is one with it and one without.

Their site makes it seem like you can only get the numeric pad with a wired kb...

Guess I'm the only one who sees value in a 10-key here :blush:. I could probably get used to it though.

You know there is one with it and one without.

Oh, you can get a wireless extended keyboard that features the F17-F19 keys and the number pad? I didn't know that, Apple's site makes it appear they only offer the compact model.