• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Apple Event August 7th, 2007

saxondale.    15

Well it looks like i will be getting an iMac too. Just claimed on insurance for my other iMac, accidental damage, i will either be getting Apple vouchers or cash (?900). Oh and no, i didn't just smash my iMac:pp

NoneAvail    3

God damnit, Will there be a stream on the website?

angrybrit    0
Finally. New iMac for sure, but maybe updates for other Macs? A new mid tower would be nice.

And updated Mac Minis. It's been too long.

Virtunate    0
I call Multi-Touch 100" Octo Core iMac that will fit in your pocket! Steve Jobs will also use Time Machine to travel into the future to retrieve iLife 99 on stage!!!

It'll be like a map that you can fold in your pocket or something like that lol.

Scazza    30
Well it looks like i will be getting an iMac too. Just claimed on insurance for my other iMac, accidental damage, i will either be getting Apple vouchers or cash (?900). Oh and no, i didn't just smash my iMac:pp

I have just done that on my MacBook Pro, but I am still awaiting a verdit from the insurance company. If I am able to get a new machine I may consider getting a new iMac, I really don't know what to do. It's really annoying, as don't want to be confined to my room as I like to sit and relax with my laptop and watch TV so this is why I opted for the MBP.

I may just buy a nice HDTV for my room, then I won't mind being in my room if I can watch TV and get a really ralaxing chair in there.

PL_    19

Dude,

I'm going to be in the middle of a fjord on that date :cry:

Quillz    1,011
And updated Mac Minis. It's been too long.

I agree, the Mac mini kind of sticks out in a bad way for still using the Core Duo. I know it's Apple's entry-level Mac, but at the same time, Apple hardware has always been known for being of a considerable high quality, and putting a Core 2 Duo in there wouldn't just make it more consistent with the other Mac products, but again, continue to echo Apple's strong value for the dollar.

angrybrit    0
I agree, the Mac mini kind of sticks out in a bad way for still using the Core Duo. I know it's Apple's entry-level Mac, but at the same time, Apple hardware has always been known for being of a considerable high quality, and putting a Core 2 Duo in there wouldn't just make it more consistent with the other Mac products, but again, continue to echo Apple's strong value for the dollar.

IIRC the Core Duo isn't a 64-bit CPU. Which is a negative considering Leopard is going to go 64-bit in a big way.

Quillz    1,011
IIRC the Core Duo isn't a 64-bit CPU. Which is a negative considering Leopard is going to go 64-bit in a big way.

Yeah, that's another point I forgot to mention. So not only is the Mac mini the only Apple computer not using a Core 2 Duo, it's also the only one that isn't 64-bit and thus "ready" for Leopard.

bdsams    365

i know this will never happen but id love to see them incorporate the mac mini with apple tv and and an HDTV tuner to it

sundayx    127

Integrating the Mac mini and Apple TV line is not a bad idea, their conception of a tiny living room computer is similar. However I highly doubt they will incorporate a HDTV feature, that would jeopardize their iTunes sales.

Jordan Green    2

Well ill just be purchasing the new iMac hopefully :)

.Neo    1,834
Yeah, that's another point I forgot to mention. So not only is the Mac mini the only Apple computer not using a Core 2 Duo, it's also the only one that isn't 64-bit and thus "ready" for Leopard.

The current Mac mini is perfectly "ready" for Mac OS X Leopard as the OS runs all of it's features on 32-bit CPUs as well. You're just not able to run 64-bit only applications, but beyond that you won't be missing out on anything Leopard is going to offer.

Quillz    1,011
The current Mac mini is perfectly "ready" for Mac OS X Leopard as the OS runs all of it's features on 32-bit CPUs as well. You're just not able to run 64-bit only applications, but beyond that you won't be missing out on anything Leopard is going to offer.

But the point is that Apple is making a big deal about Leopard being the first time 64-bit goes mainstream, and so you'd think they'd want all their computers, even the Mac mini, to take advantage of this.

MrA    6

I'm hoping they don't update the MBPs. I just got mine and I'll be really ****ed off if they come out with something new this soon.

sundayx    127

Eventually when Leopard comes around they will be able to offer hardware specs capable of all that the OS has to offer, IF they choose to continue the mini line that is.

.Neo    1,834
But the point is that Apple is making a big deal about Leopard being the first time 64-bit goes mainstream, and so you'd think they'd want all their computers, even the Mac mini, to take advantage of this.

That's a whole different story. I doubt anyone here won't agree with that the Mac mini is overdue for an update, just as the iMac is. However, it doesn't make the current Mac mini any less capable of running Mac OS X Leopard and it's mayor new features. Time Machine, Spaces, the new Desktop and Finder etc. will be fully functional on 32-bit systems.

That said I still think this whole Mac OS X Leopard being "fully 64-bit" thing is a bit of a grey area. Sure it's finally capable of running 64-bit applications in the normal Desktop environment, but from what I understand none of it's default applications make use of that. Or did that change recently?

Edited by .Neo

DrunkenMaster    0

All I know is I'm keeping my iMac G5 and upgrading to Leopard based on what I've seen. If iWork '08 is vastly improved and a suitable substitute to Word:Mac (current and future version) I'll be using that too.

As for a new system, only thing that's going to convince me to get a new Mac is a cube system with replaceable video card, additional NIC and space for 2nd HDD. Seeing as Mac Pros are too expensive and iMacs LCDs are not adjustable enough (contrast, brightness, color gamut etc). Otherwise, my iMac will be a media server and web browsing system and my PC will be my Workstation.

kizzaaa    13
well i am also looking for a new IPOD announcement tooo

Same an iPod (with at least 30GB) and a cool Keyboard.

I'll upgrade to a new iMac in 12 to 18 months.

Scazza    30

I am really looking forward to this event. I am hoping they announce the new iMac with a sick new design, if it's design is anything along the lines of the image below, I may have to sell my MacBook Pro to get one!!

nexgen-imac-mockup.jpg

Also does any one know what time in the UK the Event is taking place?

ynnoj    23
Also does any one know what time in the UK the Event is taking place?

17:00 GMT.

Scazza    30

Dammit, I finish work at 5pm. I am gonna have to get a move on to get home asap.

temur    0
I'm hoping they don't update the MBPs. I just got mine and I'll be really ****ed off if they come out with something new this soon.

I just got mine too, but if they update them I hope they will like let you turn them in and pay the difference or something like that :/