Apple Event August 7th, 2007

.Neo
How'd you get those cheap prices .Neo - when I look at my dutch store and use student discount I can't get that low... enlighten me :p

Sommige hogescholen en universiteiten zijn groot inkopers bij Apple. De studenten daarvan krijgen 10% korting in plaats van de standaard 6%.

Didn't know how to explain it quickly in English. It basically boils down to that my college made a special arrangement with Apple so the students get 10% discount instead of 6%.

mattmatik

So...where does this leave the Mac gaming? With all of the talk the past few weeks about EA and id focusing on Mac gaming, we're still left with some pretty crappy video cards.

[idkfa]
Sommige hogescholen en universiteiten zijn groot inkopers bij Apple. De studenten daarvan krijgen 10% korting in plaats van de standaard 6%.

Didn't know how to explain it quickly in English. It basically boils down to that my college made a special arrangement with Apple so the students get 10% discount instead of 6%.

nafboaabg.jpg

"Apple-on-Campus-Store". I'm glad my uni offers it, too :)

I can't wait till it hits the local stores so can I check it out in reality. At the moment the glossy display is a no-go for me, otherwise I'd have ordered already.

Edited by [idkfa]
.Neo

It's really cool how they made the Apple logo resemble the black Mac OS X Leopard Apple Menu icon.

BTW, bit odd there's no "iMac" on the casing anywhere. Or did I just miss it?

giga

Man just seeing this image and I think that's huge--must be heaven to edit photos on that. Look at the human figures around and compare the size.

new-imac-keyboard-13.jpg

Vice
I still can't understand why they put such rubbish graphics cards in these machines.

The iMac is basically a Laptop without the lap part. It uses a CPU designed for Notebooks and low-power low-heat environments. It uses RAM designed for Laptop enclosure sizes and features a mainboard soldered GPU much like Notebooks do (except the very very high end ones with daughter boards).

The only parts of the iMac which are not laptopish is the Hard Disk and the Screen.

Basically the reason they don't use a more beefy GPU is Heat and Power. Ever see those 8800's and higher end HD ATi cards? They all have huge heatsinks and fans attached to them and draw a lot more power. Yes the performance is higher but for the iMac aka Laptop with a stand they are just not an option.

TruckWEB
Finally! The Mac mini has an Intel Core 2 Duo! That means every single Apple computer is now 64-bit ready, and can take full advantage of Leopard's system-wide 64-bit support. It also means that any 64-bit application written for Leopard is guaranteed to work on every single modern Apple computer, another plus.

With iLife '08 and iWork '08 both out today, it also means that those apps are only 32 bits and will probably stay that way until the next release.

I can imagine iPhoto and iMovie taking good advantage of 64Bits and more ram.... With a huge library of photo, iPhoto is not the fastest around (on newer Mac, not my mini).

giga

medium_1042003893_f91da5abfe_o.jpg

medium_1041584351_b9d6c134e1_o.jpg

medium_1042476124_dcb98aeee0_o.jpg

medium_1042425648_d87b8539f8_o.jpg

^ Rebel XT! He's not even holding it properly though :(

http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/newimackeyboard/

We just played with both the new Apple keyboards, both wired and wireless, and found them actually quite good. It's no longer mushy, like the old keyboards, but almost exactly like the keyboard on the MacBooks now. They have the same space between the keys, and pretty much the same tactile feel when you press down on them. Which is great if you like laptop keyboard keys (like us).

The large wired keyboard has a num pad and pretty much looks like the old Apple keyboards. The Function keys are replaced with those new special keys like we saw on the net already, and work pretty great.

The small wireless keyboard, on the other hand is almost exactly like the MacBook keyboard. There's no number pad and the arrow keys are shrunken like they are on the MacBook (and other laptops). The keys themselves though feel exactly the same on both models. Which is to say, pretty good.

The keyboards are actually very thin and very low to the ground (desk). The back is raised, so it's slightly more ergonomic. All in all, it's quite comfortable, and I could type pretty fast on it (faster than Mercury News' Dean Takahashi, at least).

SnowRanger13

Whah.. the ATI drivers must suck because I just looked at some performance charts and the X1650XT beats the HD2600Pro... there is something wrong there what did ATI do!?

[idkfa]

Does the new iMac still have that little macgnet that holds Apple Remote?

Keito

Thanks Neo - figured out how I can get a bit more that those 6% - not the same benefit you're having but atleast it's more than the regular one ^^
RadishTM

The rumour floating around about the processor was that it is a Penryn chip exclusive to Apple from Intel before given to OEM's.

Radish?

MGS4-SS

Will that keyboard work for a Windows based machine? I'm liking it a lot, but I ain't buying an iMac yet just for it.

giga
Will that keyboard work for a Windows based machine? I'm liking it a lot, but I ain't buying an iMac yet just for it.

Not sure but this is what Apple states.

post-18268-1186519416.png

MGS4-SS
Not sure but this is what Apple states.

post-18268-1186519416.png

Yeah, thats why I ask. I know the older keyboards worked (even the Mighty Mouse) on a Windows machine, but I want this one :D

suspiria

Sweet! Just bought me a new wired keyboard :D

I overnighted it, too.

[idkfa]

I'm pretty sure it works, after all it's just a USB/BT keyboard. Some of the extra keys might not work without a driver, but maybe we'll see a bootcamp update bringing new keyboard drivers.

Neil

Wow iWork looks pretty good, not sure whether to choose that or Office 2008....

togerland

I wanna get back into games again and at the same time i want a mac! So the videocard sucks? Its not even an okay one?

mattrobs

Anyone have a link to a video feed?

sundayx

Me wants the bluetooth keyboard.

azcodemonkey

grrrrr... I just bought iWork '06. I wonder if they'll upgrade me for free...

SnowRanger13
grrrrr... I just bought iWork '06. I wonder if they'll upgrade me for free...

They probably won't have anything on the site but I'm sure if you call them they will do it for $10 or something reasonable.