• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

bdsams    365
I had a bill once of around ?90 I didn't want to pay it and now I owe over ?400 in contract cancellation charges so yeah...but ?800 is high!!!

that makes no sense at all....you didnt want to pay 90 so instead your giving them 400 to cancel...smooth

Damo R.    29,658
that makes no sense at all....you didnt want to pay 90 so instead your giving them 400 to cancel...smooth

Nope I still haven't fully paid it off over 3 years later...lol

I just felt the ?90 was a bit high especially as I made hardly any calls but the phone company never listened so thought stuff em!

Panacik    27
Just because he is right, doesnt mean that he should be rude.

Yeah he messed up with is bill I know, but he doesnt need to be more punished for that.

I dont think it was over rude actually. The guy is saying his parents are taking Orange to court o say its Oranges fault, instead of being a man, admitting he did wrong and working out a way to pay for his mistake... Nothing rude there, just cold plain facts.

thechronic    185

If your of age to have a contract, it will be in your name correct? if its in your parents names, its their responsibility no matter who made the calls.

Either have some agreement with Mum/Dad to pay them back, or else write to Orange and explain the situation. I doubt it'll slice pounds off but a payment arrangement could be made where you space out payments.

DO NOT use mobiles abroad, use P&G if you have to - otherwise Phone boxes are perfectly fine.

Good luck and have faith - i am sure it'll get sorted.

gadean    0

that is insane!! as a general rule of thumb you should always check the roaming charges during travel before making any calls!

starmatrix    0

I'm pretty sure you have to be 18 to get a contract phone. Obviously this just means people's parents order them for them, at least its what I did. But as far as Vodafone is concerned, its the adult's phone and contract, so their responsibility.

and ?35 is what youre paying for the line rental, you pay it whether you make any calls or not, its not a limit;)) if you get free minutes and texts with it, then thats just an added bonus, but theyre not going to stop you making them money by using more than your free minutes.

Unluck:pp

Shof    0

anyone read the digg article about someone who ranked up a 3k bill with att?

Glorious    3

If you can't afford to pay for it.. tell me, why did you make the calls in the first place?

Secondly, Orange aren't going to be so happy if they find out that the phone is sub letted to you. I've been through this with them before since my contract is in somebody elses name. But seriously, ?800 is ridiculous. The worst that the bill has been between our two accounts is ?250. That was before we switched onto the newer ?35 unlimited texts bundle with Orange.

You're responsible in your parents eyes, your parents are responsible in Orange's eyes. You're not going to get out of this by trying to blame Orange for not phoning you - someone signed the contract and agreed to the T&C of it.

Pay up is pretty much your only option, unless you plan on ruining the credit record of the person who signed the contract.

MulletRobZ    2

You mean it's $70 - $80 CDN per month for basic service over there? :o Yikes! My plan with Rogers costs maybe half that, and that includes extras such as voice mail, caller ID, and a text messaging package. The highest I ever paid in one month was $78 CDN and that was only because I really went over the limit (all the other months were in the $40 - $50 range, including GST and TVQ). And I do have an 3rd party plan for outgoing long distance calls, so I pay 3.5? per minute instead of the 30? per minute that Rogers usually charges.

But as for that ?800 ($1 700 CDN) cell bill, suing the service provider is not going to do any good as you should have read the fine print on the contract and find out the roaming charges beforehand. Also, you should have let people know not to call you while abroad unless if it was a life-or-death situation and if you do have to use the phone, get a calling card, which can be used at any payphone. Oh well. At least you'll know for next time.

Glorious    3
You mean it's $70 - $80 CDN per month for basic service over there? :o Yikes!

No, the package we're talking about is one of the top packages on Orange (one of our service providers) which usually include some form of Unlimited bundle and usually allow you to get a decent phone for free with the contract. I'm on the Dolphin 35 which is 450 minutes a month and unlimited texts (plus unused minutes rollover each month) and got an N73-ME with it.

UKDarkJedi    21
You mean it's $70 - $80 CDN per month for basic service over there?

you've never heard the term "Rip-off Britain"? We pay more for everything, period.

Panacik    27
You mean it's $70 - $80 CDN per month for basic service over there? :o Yikes! My plan with Rogers costs maybe half that, and that includes extras such as voice mail, caller ID, and a text messaging package. The highest I ever paid in one month was $78 CDN and that was only because I really went over the limit (all the other months were in the $40 - $50 range, including GST and TVQ). And I do have an 3rd party plan for outgoing long distance calls, so I pay 3.5? per minute instead of the 30? per minute that Rogers usually charges.

But as for that ?800 ($1 700 CDN) cell bill, suing the service provider is not going to do any good as you should have read the fine print on the contract and find out the roaming charges beforehand. Also, you should have let people know not to call you while abroad unless if it was a life-or-death situation and if you do have to use the phone, get a calling card, which can be used at any payphone. Oh well. At least you'll know for next time.

you've never heard the term "Rip-off Britain"? We pay more for everything, period.

Yeah, $40 (20 pound) for a shirt in the US would go for 40 pound (80 dollars) in the UK. They dont match the prices, so the UK ends up paying through the teeth...

+BeLGaRaTh    43
Your fault, but to be fair, Orange should of contacted you to see if you realised you were spending this much, for security reasons (phone theft), to make sure that you, the owner is using the phone.

Probably would have cost Orange too much to ring a mobile abroad :)

Seriously though, as has been mentioned, the onus is on the contract holder to monitor their usage above and beyond their tariff. Whilst the bill is on the high side, roaming in other countries is noted in the T&Cs as being a much higher tariff so they have no obligation to contact the customer :(

Berserk87    49

wow thats insane.

and iphone racking up that bill i could understand .....

Quick Shot    44

yepp..i had one for over $1K when I went to Germany last year.

I learned the hard way not to bring my mobile phone with me when going drinking!

sundayx    127
I have no sympathy for you, at all.

if you think your adult enough for a contract phone, be adult enough to pay the prices. Next time you'll read the fine print before assuming calling from another country.

Unfortunately I have to say, QFT.

SkyyPunk    39

Hah...yea been here done that...cept it was $1000 bill.....

luckily it was paid for by my company, since it was due to them forwarding company calls through my phone anytime we were out of the office (i had best reception out of us all)....after that, i hardly ever got the phone forwarded to me :p

i spent a few hours on the phone with them trying for ways out.....never got a cent taken off

Pierce28    3

Ouch. Personally, I have a Pay as you go phone from Alltel, and $20 every 4 months does me fine. (Heck, I've been running off $10 for the last while)

I just use the cell for emergencies and things such as "Hey, come pick me up". Heck, my average call time is probably around 10 sec. Now, if your cell is your main phone, I can understand, but when you are at home, just call them back on the other line!

Now, if AIM charged for every IM you sent... I'd be broke.

inStereo    0

Simply put, you are going to have to pay up. Either you (if you are of legal age to enter into a contract) or your parents are responsible for this. Orange aren't going to contact you if you go over a certain limit and the 35? that you where going to pay every month is NOT a limit and they don't even advertise it in such a manner.

Next time you use your phone just consider how much it night cost you and think to yourself, "Do i really need to make this call, or download this wallpaper?"

I can tell from your abscence of posts in this thread that you know it is your fault.

And please dont get a lawyer as if you challenge orange and take them to court you will loose and you will have to pay their legal bills as well as your own and the phone bill on top of that, so unless you want to double it and treble it! Forget about it now.

Powa    0

You must have been on that phone all bloody holiday.

Kudos    51

While i was living with a friend of mine a few years ago, he hooked up his phone to his laptop and managed to wipe ?40 credit off his phone in less than a minute, which prompted a call from O2 to ask him what he was doing and advise him that he was demolishing his call balance. We busted our asses laughing at that for a while.

inStereo    0

You could just move country and close your bank account!

JayV    0

I actually work for a cell phone company and I have people that go over on their plan and call every day. In our contracts it does state that you are responsible for anything over your plan. If people call and ask us what we can do for them we will usually rerate the plan as if they were on a better suited plan for them. If they used to much long distance and didn't have a long distance plan then we would rerate as if they did have a long distance plan. I would call them and ask if they can rerate your bill as if you had a long distance package or something. Just the other day I had a rerate for a customer who was using way more data than their package was covering. (200 - 500 MB when there plan was only covering 30MB) Their bill for 3 months was $13000. After I rerated it I saved them over $11600. You may think that $1400 is still a lot but that was 3 months of bills for a customer with a fairly large business plan.

Chris Allen    0

I try to just txt when I'm traveling so it doesn't cost too much. When I'm in the US it's about 19 cents to txt, so I just use that instead of getting hit with roaming charges.

That said, my last trip to Miami ran me a phone bill of $350.

Normally my bill is around $200 / month. Damn international calls. *shakes fist*

My mate in the UK who's a travelling DJ never has a bill that's less than ?700.. fun!

Abhishek kapoor    2

U have used the phone .then u have to PAY ..u can't ESCAPE DUDE